Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression Shorts-Chafing

Hey guys,

Hopefully someone on here has already gone through Basic and can provide me with a bit of insight. I'm in good shape, low bodyfat percentage, workout regularly. However, if I do not wear compression shorts when I run, I tend to chafe in "more sensitive" areas.

I've tried to get info. from people I know who are currently in the military but I guess I want the most accurate info. Does anyone know if you can wear compression shorts throughout Basic, or is it just while doing PT? I'm truly hoping that you can at least wear compression shorts during PT, at least that's what I've gathered through my research so far.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who recently completed Basic, or someone who might have dealt with the same uncomfortable situation.

Please advise.

Thanks for your time guys.

Re: Compression Shorts-Chafing

Originally posted by NoEZDay View Post
    Hey guys,

Hopefully someone on here has already gone through Basic...
    Nope sorry, no one here!

On a more serious note I believe the reg is along the lines of "so long as there are no visible logos/insignias" Who can clarify? I just saw the post recently...
    Last edited by Hawks; March 25th, 2013, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks View Post
      Nope sorry, no one here!

On a more serious note I believe the reg is along the lines of "so long as there are no visible logos/insignias" Who can clarify? I just saw the post recently...
      That's the reg, but BCT is a different animal. It's going to be up to your DSs and ultimately your chain of command. I would go ahead and bring 5-6 pairs of solid black compression shorts with no visible logos, and ask ahead of time if you can wear them to prevent chafing.

Comment

At FT Jackson in 2009, those who had the comp shorts wore them all the time. The PX and Troop Store sold them (at a rather high price) and they did wonders compared to the tighty-tans. No DS ever did an underwear inspection other than "Your a$$ better be wearing drawers...".

I'd bring some from home that you find comfortable and in your budget. And I would skip asking the DS if it's ok to wear them simply because the Troop PX sells them and they'll more than likely give you a "WTF Pvt" look.

Comment

If you are not allowed to wear them they sell anti-chaff cream at most running shoe shoes that works pretty well. Frankly, for long runs good old Vaseline works great (compression shots also chaf me).

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
            And I would skip asking the DS if it's ok to wear them simply because the Troop PX sells them and they'll more than likely give you a "WTF Pvt" look.
            Roger. If they sell them there, you're probably good. When I went, they did not sell them there, and literally anything you did that was different from the rest of the platoon had to be cleared through the DSs. Things change, though. You'll probably be fine.

Comment

I remember a kid at basic going to sick call to get a profile to allow him to wear compression shorts, because our DSs game him a hard time about wearing them. Certainly wouldn't make you popular with them, but if that's bad of a problem, it can be a Plan B.

Comment

In my time at Ft. Jackson (2011) for BCT we were REQUIRED to wear the black spandex under our PT uniforms, as a preventive measure (since males and females did PT together, and they were afraid something might show without them). We were specifically told NOT to wear them under our ACUs (over-heating) but some people did anyway.

Comment

When I was in BCT, we were encouraged to wear comp. short during PT since the PT shorts don't cover much (especially during situps). As far as wearing them everyday, no one's going to know what your wearing under your ACU pants. I'd say take some with you.

Comment

I wore mine exclusively. Nothing worse than getting super chaffed half-way through the 10 mile march. Plus, the support is better.

Just makes sense. And if you don't bring attention to yourself, really, who is going to know?

Comment

I appreciate the help guys! Normally I get a "WTH" look when I ask this question. Justifiably so, but still needed to know. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X