X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout Routine?

I am currently in the process of enlisting in the National Guard and trying to come up with a workout routine that will help prepare me for BCT PFT. Currently I can already pass every section of the test but want to get a perfect score. Able to do 50 push ups till fatigued and about 60 sit ups. My pace time is 7:30/Mi. and haven't ran or worked out in over a year.

Haven't ever had a need to create a workout plan and need assistance in creating one that doesn't injure my chances of getting into the National Guard. My Height is about 5' 10'' and around 147 Lb. If anyone can give helpful ideas with working out. Hoping to join the YMCA and do cardio and push up/sit up workout plans.

Thanks for any help given.

Re: Workout Routine?

Put on some muscle!

For running interval training is a very useful tool to help bring your run time down. Interval mixed with some longer then 2 mile runs will help a lot. If you can run 7.30 for a mile try to push that pace out past 2 miles. For example, try to run 3 miles in less then 24.00.

Comment

My personal favorite and used often by many I know:

The Deck of Cards
      -Each card worth face value of repetitions
      -Face cards are 10 repetitions.
      -Spades are Push-ups
      -Hearts are Burpees
      -Clubs are Sit-ups
      -Diamonds are Mountain-Climbers

Of course there are many various excersise assignments for each suit. Do the math, its a lot of reps and kinda fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks View Post

The Deck of Cards
        -Spades are Push-ups
        -Hearts are Burpees
        -Clubs are Sit-ups

Of course there are many various excersise assignments for each suit. Do the math, its a lotof reps and kinda fun.
        What would Burpees be? Would there be a video link or similar to show me the process of the exercise?

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
          Put on some muscle!

For running interval training is a very useful tool to help bring your run time down. Interval mixed with some longer then 2 mile runs will help a lot. If you can run 7.30 for a mile try to push that pace out past 2 miles. For example, try to run 3 miles in less then 24.00.

With putting on muscle, would I be better with weight training increasing my benchpresses or, pushups, situps to fatigue?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Otto View Post
            What would Burpees be? Would there be a video link or similar to show me the process of the exercise?
            Yes its called youtube.

Originally posted by Chris Otto View Post
            With putting on muscle, would I be better with weight training increasing my benchpresses or, pushups, situps to fatigue?
            Depends on how much time you have before you start BCT. Nothing will increase your push ups like push ups but increasing your bench press is supplemental and can help speed up the process to an extent. If you do decide to add weight training don't get tunnel vision around just the chest and abs. You really want to build strength and muscular endurance everywhere. A lot of guys ignore legs but muscular endurance in the lower body is very important in the military. Everything from running, ruck marching, walking around with body armor, lunges around the company AO etc.

Comment

My workout:
              Monday: AM: 3 mile run, 30 minutes sprint/speed work; PM: Chest/Tris (Bench press, dumbell press, etc.)
              Tuesday: Weighted Ab workouts (weighted sit ups, leg lifts, etc.)
              Wednesday: Back/Biceps (Weighted pull-ups, Rows, etc.)
              Thursday: AM: 3-4 mile run, 20 minute abs; PM: Legs/Lower Back (Squats, Dead lifts, etc.)
              Friday: Shoulders (Arnold press, rack pulls, shrugs, etc.)
              Saturday: 5-6 mile run

And don't tell me you don't have time for all of that, because I work full time and raise a 16 month old.

Using weights to work out increases your strength, which astronomically lowers the amount of energy your body needs to perform a non-weighted exercise. If you can bench 250 lbs, you should be able to knock out a ton of push-ups without getting tired. Making sure to run 3x a week will increase your cardio, which will also decrease your likelihood of getting tired.

Everyone's different, but that's what works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
                Yes its called youtube.

Depends on how much time you have before you start BCT. Nothing will increase your push ups like push ups but increasing your bench press is supplemental and can help speed up the process to an extent. If you do decide to add weight training don't get tunnel vision around just the chest and abs. You really want to build strength and muscular endurance everywhere. A lot of guys ignore legs but muscular endurance in the lower body is very important in the military. Everything from running, ruck marching, walking around with body armor, lunges around the company AO etc.
                Thanks for your help, and I honestly didn't think about searching on youtube and sorry for such a immature question.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks View Post

The Deck of Cards
                  -Spades are Push-ups
                  -Hearts are Burpees
                  -Clubs are Sit-ups

Of course there are many various excersise assignments for each suit. Do the math, its a lot of reps and kinda fun.
                  Thanks very much for this routine; It looks like a great workout and can't wait to incorporate it soon.

Comment

Have fun! Judging by the height and weight you listed, I would also recommend you put on muscle and do strength training as many others have also suggested. The one I listed is great for maintaining fitness and it adds cardio if you keep throwing cards down rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                      My workout:
                      Monday: AM: 3 mile run, 30 minutes sprint/speed work; PM: Chest/Tris (Bench press, dumbell press, etc.)
                      Tuesday: Weighted Ab workouts (weighted sit ups, leg lifts, etc.)
                      Wednesday: Back/Biceps (Weighted pull-ups, Rows, etc.)
                      Thursday: AM: 3-4 mile run, 20 minute abs; PM: Legs/Lower Back (Squats, Dead lifts, etc.)
                      Friday: Shoulders (Arnold press, rack pulls, shrugs, etc.)
                      Saturday: 5-6 mile run

And don't tell me you don't have time for all of that, because I work full time and raise a 16 month old.

Using weights to work out increases your strength, which astronomically lowers the amount of energy your body needs to perform a non-weighted exercise. If you can bench 250 lbs, you should be able to knock out a ton of push-ups without getting tired. Making sure to run 3x a week will increase your cardio, which will also decrease your likelihood of getting tired.

Everyone's different, but that's what works for me.
                      Thanks, I don't know how easily I could put it into 2 workouts a day, but I do have 2 hrs. Mon-Fri in the morning where I will be going to the gym.

Comment

Working...
                      X