Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need any advice or help losing weight? Here is my experience on losing 100+ pounds

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need any advice or help losing weight? Here is my experience on losing 100+ pounds

Hi!

I see many people on this forum asking for help in ways to lose weight. I just wanted to offer my story and leave it an open forum to let anyone ask any questions.
    So my background.. I did JROTC for 4 years in high school and I every plan on joining the Navy when I graduated. However, there was one not so small problem.. I was overweight. I needed to be 170 or under and I was 215. I gave up on this idea and continued working instead.

However 2.5 years ago I tore my Achilles because I was overweight and had to undergo a lot of rehab and spent thousands of dollars in medical fees. In this time, I had ballooned up to 265 pound. Then I also had to be my friends maid of honor in her wedding. In this time I was appalled because I couldn’t get the same dress as the other bridesmaids and I looked so huge in all of the wedding photos. This was my turning point! My Aw ha moment when I was like “im sorry I ruined your wedding photos!”

I then decided I did not spend all this time doing rehab and paying for all its costs to sit on the couch. I wanted to turn my set back into a comeback. It took me a year and half but I have lost 103 lbs and am now shipping to basic may 2013.

Some key things that helped me:

• Motivation – I made it a point to tell everyone! And I mean EVERYONE! I spammed my goals, ideas, triumphs, and even my failures to my friends and all face book to hold me accountable. (plus they cheer you on and console you when you mess up, no one is perfect) basically the memes saying you don’t need to post every time you go to the gym on fb was invented for me

• Accountability – I knew I needed help and guidance so I hired a personal trainer at a studio not a cookie cutter gym, someone who really was interested in my goals ; not just another quota (you don’t need a trainer you could find a workout partner etc) and I also told all my co-workers and employees. I oversee a college dining hall, bakery, and production kitchen so I told them to smack me if they saw me with something unhealthy in my hand!

• Goals – I knew if I saw 100 lbs on the board as my goal I would never make it! So I set small weight goals like 10 lbs or 20 lbs but also set goals such as running pats run, the warrior dash etc, (I didn’t wanna look like a out of shape idiot so I trained)

• Food! – I call myself a carbavour because I love bread! It is my kryptonite, however I moved to a slow carb and occasionally paleo type diet but I also allowed myself one cheat day a week (usually a Saturday after I did my hardest workout of the week so I did not feel as guilty). I mean I have had many slips ups with food but I shake it off and go back to the diet! The number 1 thing you can do is give up processed foods! I mean I still eat fast food but I am conscious Example: I go to in n out and get a double-double protein style (in lettuce no bun) and no cheese. The sauce is pure fat then I’m getting protein and veggies.

Now my trainer and I are setting new goals, which is primarily increasing my AFPT scores. I am currently with his help at 100 pts for pushups, 80 pts for sit ups, and 72 pts for my 2 mile run. YOU NEVER STOP CREATING GOALS OR WORKING OUT. You just find new reasons!

Hope this may help some people and if you have any questions please feel free to ask, I have been in your shoes!

Re: Need any advice or help losing weight? Here is my experience on losing 100+ pounds

Wow! Congratulations on your Weight Loss!! I'm currently 220lbs, and need to be around 165lbs, I have done every diet under the Sun(or so it seems) I had the most success on a low carb diet, along with taking the weight loss drug Adipex. My issue is Food, I love it, its really an addiction......however reading your story has given my hope! Thank you so much for sharing.

Comment

Re: Need any advice or help losing weight? Here is my experience on losing 100+ pounds

I'm at 280 and my goal is 210.

Comment

Originally posted by kjsin1994 View Post
        I'm at 280 and my goal is 210.
        Im currently 154 and trying to lose 40 pounds.

Comment

Working...
        X