X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh, cigarettes... advice?

I had my first drill today. Everything went great-- except the running. I wheezed incredibly loudly after maybe two minutes in, I didn't think I was going to make it. When I asked someone during lunch if he saw me during the whole ordeal, expecting a humorous response, he very somberly said "Yeah, I saw it. It was kind of sad". I'm not overweight at all, in fact I've been actively trying to gain weight. It's the smoking. I very literally thought I was going to pass out or something. Any advice on quitting cigarettes other than "just lay them down"? I smoke when I'm bored and when I'm stressed. Usually it's the part about being bored. While I was at drill today, no more than a couple of times did I think "Man, a cigarette just sounds excellent right now".

tl;dr I need advice quitting cigarettes because they've affected my breathing to an embarrassing extent.

Thanks, all.

Re: Ugh, cigarettes... advice?

There are two components to your addiction -- physical and psychological. The physical addiction to nicotine basically ends within a week, after that it's primarily a psychological battle. You can address your immediate problem (i.e., lung capacity) by getting nicotine in gum or chew, although your long-term goal should be nicotine avoidance altogether. Your doctor has some medication and counseling which can ease your transition to a nicotine-free life, although it will be a struggle. As hard as it is, I recommend strongly that you go for it, and don't give up even if you backslide.

Comment

I'll definitely go talk to a doctor about this; I hadn't even considered that an MD would be able to help with such a thing. Thanks, LTC.
      Last edited by Mr_Loki; March 12th, 2013, 11:56 AM. Reason: Fixed rank

Comment

I smoked while on deployment. When I got back the easiest way I saw to quit was transitioning to dip, then easing myself off of it. The human lungs are amazing. After only a few days of quitting they will begin to heal the damage that smoking has caused. So my suggestion is to try dipping. If you haven't been to basic yet ( which I gather is a strong possibility after you called the Lieutenant Colonel "lieutenant") you should quit everything ASAP. Nicotine doesn't exist in basic training. And the sooner you quit the better you will do there.

Comment

I recommend Zyban when anyone asks about quitting smoking. It was an antidepressant that had a side effect of patients quitting smoking..a lot. Now that's its primary purpose.

Basically you take it and over a week or so cigarettes start tasting terrible. It blocks the receptors that get nicotine. You wont desire it physically or mentally and your tolerance drops so you can maybe only smoke a half a cigarette at a time. Eventually you just stop. Keep on the medicine for about a month and you'll find yourself having quit with very little side effects.

The only issue I had was it made me mentally so focused that I swore that if I focused any harder at work+ i would be able to see through the computer monitor into the future. I got like 12 weeks of work done in 4 .

Comment

I would imagine the above advice works for smokeless tobacco just as well?

Comment

I have never smoked other than a cigar at my wedding and one at my friend's wedding. My brother did smoke. He was able to quit by using the elctronic cigarettes.
              Last edited by jaydez; March 13th, 2013, 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Just stop buying cigarettes. Use self control not to bum them. Stay away from other smokers while they are smoking. That's how I stopped smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by JDuncan View Post
                  Just stop buying cigarettes. Use self control not to bum them. Stay away from other smokers while they are smoking. That's how I stopped smoking.
                  This - when everyone else goes outside to smoke, stay inside. There's a large social compulsion to smoke, break that by being social with everyone when they're inside, but avoid the smoking area.

Comment

Working...
                  X