Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of things I need advice on.

1. I have a PT test coming up next month. My run time is pretty bad at around 17 mins. What can I do to improve it quickly? My current routine is running 2 miles twice a week but obviously that's gonna have to be stepped up. I've heard sprints will help, any ideas on that? Should I just do 30/60's like at basic?

2. I have a 12 mile ruck march coming up in June during AT.....I haven't rucked since BCT. Any advice on this? All I have as far as footwear are issued boots, 1 pair of Rocky C4T's, and regular OD socks. How should I start practicing? How much weight should I start off with?

Thank you all in advance for your replies!

Re: Need some advice

Sprints definitely help. You can do 30/60s, 60/120s, or fartlek. Fartlek is interval training. You run at a jogging pace, and speed up for a certain time or distance, and repeat. So it's like 30/60s, only there's no walking. I've found that running every other day is better than running multiple days in a row, to allow your body to rest of course. I always wear a watch and keep track of the time during PT tests, it helps me stay focused. Crossfit is always an option too, it works wonders!

Comment

To add to the above advice, be sure to check in with your running posture (do a Google research on what is best). It's amazing how much time you can shave off by working on running with the right form. Breathing technique can play a role in this as well.

Also, pay attention to your diet for the next month. Try to eat "real foods" packed full of the good carbs, fats, and proteins. Don't starve your body while you're pushing it. Drink lots of water, get good sleep, and stretch!

I'm assuming you are male and between 17-25-ish, so that means you need to shave off 2 possibly 3 minutes, right? I think this is very doable in a month's time, but the key is to be proactive. You've got to get out there and physically RUN. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! I completely forgot about posture, I feel like I've lost the good posture I used to have, I definitely need to work on that. Also need to do those sprints! Bottom line I need to step up to the plate,especially since I just transferred into an infantry unit, a lot more high speed than my previous FA unit.

Comment

Think about running hills or stairs as well. Or do some bike work in your routine.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I went running today and dropped a minute off my time. I'm motivated to pass my PT test, especially since I can't use fta if I fail from what I've heard. Also any advice on ruck marches?

Comment

I don't know too much about rucking, but I do know that you need to make sure that you HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE!

From what I've heard and read on intake of water, half your weight in ounces is a good amount. I have been doing this and it really feels like a good amount. If I drink too much less than that, I feel dehydrated, get cramps and really bad dry mouth when I run.

I'm sure there's some work out plans for rucking out there. Do you know how much you will have to carry at AT?

Comment

Oh, and good job shaving a minute off of your time! Feels good doesn't it?

Comment

Pay attention to how your feet land. Softly bouncing off the ground > clumping your Fred flintsones. You'll use less energy.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! It does feel good to have lost that minute but I still need to keep at it. Also I've been noticing how my feet land and I do seem to land pretty heavy, any advice on how to help change that? I need to work on my form.

On top of running more frequently I'm trying to change my diet since I figure it'll help to cut out all the junk food I eat and soda I drink. Oh, one last thing, any advice on the ruck marching? I don't know how much weight we'll have on at AT.

Comment

Working...
                    X