Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any push-ups/sit-up/running work outs for personally time at OSUT?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone have any push-ups/sit-up/running work outs for personally time at OSUT?

    I'll be leaving anywhere from two weeks to 2 months. But when I do get there, everyone says do PT during your personal time. I don't want to hurt myself, but by the of my 14-18 weeks, I want to be as close to 280 as I can be. Push-ups and sit-ups are kinda straight forward, any advice would help. I'm more looking for something to help my run time that I can do in my Bay.

    Any PT studs have any advice?

  • #2
    Re: Anyone have any push-ups/sit-up/running work outs for personally time at OSUT?

    You could always do squats in the bay, but in my opinion you'll be using your legs so much during basic i wouldn't worry about it unless your run time is horrible. do your pushups and situps in the bay every night, watch your water intake and stretch at the end of the day if you feel like it. if you're in the 18-21 bracket and your two mile run time is around 16:30 or better BEFORE attending basic you'll be fine so much as you work hard during pt.

    Take care of your body as best you can during basic and avoid injuries. You will go insane from boredom if you get stuck in a IET environment with a dead mans profile.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Anyone have any push-ups/sit-up/running work outs for personally time at OSUT?

      Originally posted by Jackal View Post
      You could always do squats in the bay, but in my opinion you'll be using your legs so much during basic i wouldn't worry about it unless your run time is horrible. do your pushups and situps in the bay every night, watch your water intake and stretch at the end of the day if you feel like it. if you're in the 18-21 bracket and your two mile run time is around 16:30 or better BEFORE attending basic you'll be fine so much as you work hard during pt.

      Take care of your body as best you can during basic and avoid injuries. You will go insane from boredom if you get stuck in a IET environment with a dead mans profile.
      Thanks, Jackel.

      My run time isn't horrible, but it's probably around 20 minutes for 2 miles. I'm not too worried about push-ups (Can't do a lot, but passed the 1-1-1) and I'm close to the sit-up minimum already, so I'm good there.

      I just don't want to be recycled.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Anyone have any push-ups/sit-up/running work outs for personally time at OSUT?

        Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
        I'll be leaving anywhere from two weeks to 2 months. But when I do get there, everyone says do PT during your personal time. I don't want to hurt myself, but by the of my 14-18 weeks, I want to be as close to 280 as I can be. Push-ups and sit-ups are kinda straight forward, any advice would help. I'm more looking for something to help my run time that I can do in my Bay.

        Any PT studs have any advice?
        Stretch...and drink nothing carbonated.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Anyone have any push-ups/sit-up/running work outs for personally time at OSUT?

          Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
          Thanks, Jackel.

          My run time isn't horrible, but it's probably around 20 minutes for 2 miles.
          Horrible is apparently in the eye of the beholder. It's certainly not a run time to be proud of. You should be running quite a bit more.

          EDIT: Honestly, looking at the rest of your post, too, I feel the need to say this: meeting the minimum standard is not "good." It's barely making it. You should be scoring well above the minimum standard, not saying "I'm good at that." You're not "good" on any event until you max it. And even then, you will need to continue to work at it to keep your score up.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Anyone have any push-ups/sit-up/running work outs for personally time at OSUT?

            Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
            Horrible is apparently in the eye of the beholder. It's certainly not a run time to be proud of. You should be running quite a bit more.

            EDIT: Honestly, looking at the rest of your post, too, I feel the need to say this: meeting the minimum standard is not "good." It's barely making it. You should be scoring well above the minimum standard, not saying "I'm good at that." You're not "good" on any event until you max it. And even then, you will need to continue to work at it to keep your score up.
            I meant it in the context of, "I'm good - enough - to start out at Basic.". And for the standards set by myself, and my friends/family in the Military, I am disappointed in m run time. But it is a starting point.

            But I roger you, LT. I have big, wild dreams of things I want to do in the Army/Federal Government. Non of these will be able to be accomplished if not at least making 300's.

            Hooah!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Anyone have any push-ups/sit-up/running work outs for personally time at OSUT?

              Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
              I meant it in the context of, "I'm good - enough - to start out at Basic.". And for the standards set by myself, and my friends/family in the Military, I am disappointed in m run time. But it is a starting point.

              But I roger you, LT. I have big, wild dreams of things I want to do in the Army/Federal Government. Non of these will be able to be accomplished if not at least making 300's.

              Hooah!
              You can get by with a 270. Not everybody is a 300 stud. As long as you're never settling with where you're at, you'll be good to go.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Anyone have any push-ups/sit-up/running work outs for personally time at OSUT?

                From my experience A lot of the guys who came to basic with 20 minute two miles in the 18 to 21 age bracket barely made the 15:30 minimum by the end of basic training.

                if you can't meet the standards in basic training you will be sent to a fitness training unit for a few weeks, or until you can meet the standard. Not a fun place to be. lots of pt and enough boredom to make you go insane at times. I never went, but my platoon had two medical recycles who were forced into FTU after taking convalescent leave for broken bones.

                HOWEVER in ait you will be given 3 chances on your final apft. If you can't meet the minimum standards you will be discharged from active duty service and sent back to your guard unit where they will decide whether or not to send you back to AIT for another go, or discharge you from the guard entirely. That actually happened to a buddy of mine from high school. I guess he got too comfortable in his nice dorm style barracks with internet and his xbox


                bottom line. push yourself hard and take care of your body

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Anyone have any push-ups/sit-up/running work outs for personally time at OSUT?

                  Originally posted by Jackal View Post
                  From my experience A lot of the guys who came to basic with 20 minute two miles in the 18 to 21 age bracket barely made the 15:30 minimum by the end of basic training.

                  if you can't meet the standards in basic training you will be sent to a fitness training unit for a few weeks, or until you can meet the standard. Not a fun place to be. lots of pt and enough boredom to make you go insane at times. I never went, but my platoon had two medical recycles who were forced into FTU after taking convalescent leave for broken bones.

                  HOWEVER in ait you will be given 3 chances on your final apft. If you can't meet the minimum standards you will be discharged from active duty service and sent back to your guard unit where they will decide whether or not to send you back to AIT for another go, or discharge you from the guard entirely. That actually happened to a buddy of mine from high school. I guess he got too comfortable in his nice dorm style barracks with internet and his xbox


                  bottom line. push yourself hard and take care of your body
                  Thanks, Jackal.

                  I'm worried, but not worried. My buddy went to Basic doing 2 miles in 18 minutes and said they were a few doing 23 to 24 minutes and passed.
                  I'm going to the GED Plus Program, so I hope the PT helps me.

                  But I'm going to be pushing myself to my utter limits.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Anyone have any push-ups/sit-up/running work outs for personally time at OSUT?

                    Hi,

                    I am a soldier in the Guard with a 300 PT test.

                    I am E-3 right now and I have some advice for you to be fit and do your best.

                    -Manage your stress

                    You have to manage your stress because if you manage your stress you will have better health and you will be more fit

                    -Try to get enough sleep and high quality sleep

                    You will probably have to be up all night doing fireguard or other things sometimes personally you should just focus on your soldier
                    skills don't worry about PT just worry about being squared away so you don't get in trouble. Trust me because the drill sergeants will
                    probably drop you for push ups all the time and you don't want to overtrain yourself.

                    -Don't eat the junk food in the mess hall or the MRE's

                    Get fruits and vegetables and always eat the healthy meal, don't get too much food, just get food that is healthy and something you can
                    eat quickly (don't get apples! They take way too long to eat, get bananna if you can)

                    -Work hard while you are doing your PT, just push yourself but manage your stress

                    -Run with proper form,

                    Breathe in your nose and out your mouth and look straight forward

                    If you want to do a PT then do 25-50 push ups each night and 25-50 sit ups right before you go to sleep.

                    I did PT sometimes during basic but really it was way more useful to do PT in AIT

                    You will get more fit in AIT, your whole life will just be working out and studying your job if you really are dedicated.

                    Basic training kind of breaks you down more before it builds you up but you should just focus on being safe and learning
                    your Battle Drills.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Anyone have any push-ups/sit-up/running work outs for personally time at OSUT?

                      Drink lots of water too

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X