X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shin splints

Im finally about to be able to sign in for the guard, only thing worrying me now is my shins. I recently got a case of bad shin splints from going running with a officer friend of mine. He is a marathon runner so i tried to keep up with him and probably went a little too far/too fast too soon. I already went and got a bone scan done to make sure it wasnt a stress fracture. Now that i know that it cant keep me from signing im still scared of what will happen if im still having problems with it at rsp or basic. what should i do. Is there anything that anybody knows to help this problem heal faster.

Re: Shin splints

Ibuprofen before you exercise and wrap your shins with pre-wrap and then tape that in place with athletic tape, otherwise they sell neopreen wraps for your shins, but my calves are too big so i get cramps with those.

Comment

i just got the neopreen calf wraps i have only used them once or twice, but so far it hasnt made much of a difference.

Comment

Try the pre-wrap. You should be able to find it at a walgreens or maybe walmart. You can get it a lot tighter and that way it supports more. Also ice your shins after running, and stretch your lower leg by extending your foot or flexing it down and up especially while standing on a stair.

Comment

what is a pre wrap? and i have been doing stretches, i just got into physical therapy for it, only thing that scares me is they tell me it could take months to heal, i should be signing before the end of this week, so my first rsp will be next month. And it could be only a month after that when i leave for basic.

Comment

pre wrap is kinda like an ace bandage except its made from a material close to styrofoam and stretches. they use it in football a lot. i had bad shin splits all throughout highschool and middleschool. my honest advice, tough it out. i ran track and did soccer, both of which involve insane amounts of running and pounding on your shins on hard surfaces and i made it. just try to get a hold of that prewrap and then put athletic tape over that. take 3 200mg ibuprofen pills before any exercise involving running.

Comment

My shins used to hurt real bad after running also. I actually changed my stride after talking with a guy at work. I used to strike the ground with my heel when running and I changed it to striking the ground with the balls of my feet. It took some getting used to and I had to slowly work my way up to any sort of distance. My stride is much shorter now, but I have alot more endurance and my shins haven't hurt since. If you do this though, be prepared to hear it from your calf muscles as you re-train your body (assuming this isn't your stride allready). I'm not an expert at all, this is just what has worked for me.

Comment

Proper running form involves striking the ground with the balls of your feet instead of the heel. Also when you run, you should almost make a clawing like motion with the position of your knees and legs, with the balls of your feet kinda like swipeing or clawing at the dirt/pavement.

Comment

We have a Pvt. at our RSP who got shin splints real bad on one of the first drills. The Sgt's were super understanding and reduced his physical requirements to facilitate healing. He's been doing physical therapy and such as he approached his ship date, but they've also helped by only having him do the 1-1-1 instead of the 2-2-2 like the rest of us. I don't know if all RSP Cadre's are like this, but ours is pretty considerate of physical conditions and does what it can to encourage healing among soldiers who may have been injured during a drill. They're less forgiving on those who got injured in horseplay or being irresponsible. So hopefully remove that from your list of worries. I hope you get a cadre as cool as ours is

PFC Langdon

Comment

Working...
                  X