X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye exam; Failed PIP, Passed FALANT

I went to MEPS last week and during the eye exam, I failed the PIP test (circle of dots, say the number) But i passed the FALANT with 100%. When i had my eye exam at my regular eye doc about 2-3 weeks ago, I had him give me a color blind test, he gave me the PIP test, and said i passed and i was good to go. So when i went to swear in, i was unable to get my MOS (12M - Firefighter) due to being colorblind. I have been a Full time Firefighter for 5 years (no issues). On my physical exam at MEPS, under the eye exam section it says "Red/Green; PASS" and when the doctor signed me out, he game me all '1's for every category, even eyes.... so i'm just confused. If my form said i PASSED the red/green, shouldn't i be good to go? Could this possibly be a human error when entering the information into the computer? I can see colors, and i have never had any issues with red and green. I really want to be a 12M in the guard.

Re: Eye exam; Failed PIP, Passed FALANT

To clarify, according to the MEPS forms/documents, you PASSED the color blind test, and yet you are not allowed to be 12M because of color blindness? Is that what you are saying?

Comment

Yes, that's what i understand. On the MEPS form, there is a box in the vision section that says "red/greed " (may not be the exact words, but thats basically how its worded) and it said PASS.... so i would assume thats what it means... He said i passed the red/green test and wrote PASS down on the form. To be a 12M you have to have normal vision, you can not be red green deficient.
      Last edited by TAHealey; January 31st, 2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TAHealey View Post
        Yes, that's what i understand. On the MEPS form, there is a box in the vision section that says "red/greed " (may not be the exact words, but thats basically how its worded) and it said PASS.... so i would assume thats what it means... He said i passed the red/green test and wrote PASS down on the form. To be a 12M you have to have normal vision, you can not be red green deficient.
        OK. This is what I would go off of then, and not what was "said". Talk to your recruiter again about 12M slots, but keep in mind that this is a hard MOS to get into period. There are very very few slots, so it might be something else that is keeping you from getting one.

Let me know how it goes.

Comment

I guess I should have mentioned. I have a 12M slot locked in. So the only thing holding me back is this issue.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can only have a MOS locked in for like 10 days, So if i was you I would be contacting your recruiter ASAP about the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by TAHealey View Post
              I went to MEPS last week and during the eye exam, I failed the PIP test (circle of dots, say the number) But i passed the FALANT with 100%. When i had my eye exam at my regular eye doc about 2-3 weeks ago, I had him give me a color blind test, he gave me the PIP test, and said i passed and i was good to go. So when i went to swear in, i was unable to get my MOS (12M - Firefighter) due to being colorblind. I have been a Full time Firefighter for 5 years (no issues). On my physical exam at MEPS, under the eye exam section it says "Red/Green; PASS" and when the doctor signed me out, he game me all '1's for every category, even eyes.... so i'm just confused. If my form said i PASSED the red/green, shouldn't i be good to go? Could this possibly be a human error when entering the information into the computer? I can see colors, and i have never had any issues with red and green. I really want to be a 12M in the guard.
              You said "I failed the PIP test" at MEPS during the eye exam? You agree that they said you failed it at the time? I am just trying to understand what you are saying.
              PseudoIsochromatic Plate Ishihara Compatible (PIP) is a Color Vision Test. You may have passed the red/green test BUT as you stated, you failed the PIP test which is the color test. If I remember correctly the red/green and color vision tests are different and you can pass one and not the other. From what you are saying, you passed red/green but failed the color test. These are not the same and mutually exclusive. I have actually known a few people who are color deficient and fail the PIP test but can pass the red/green/ falant tests.
              But, as was said by others get clarification from your recruiter.
              Last edited by robinpugs06; January 31st, 2013, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GodBlessUSA View Post
                I'm pretty sure you can only have a MOS locked in for like 10 days, So if i was you I would be contacting your recruiter ASAP about the situation.
                I have the same issue as well. What can you advise me to do about this? It is really frustrating you know.

Thanks and hope to have an advice on this matter.

Comment

Working...
                X