X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about meeting minimum weight requirements

I'm under weight according to the height and weight requirements.
    I need to gain about 25 lbs to meet the minimum of 164 lbs.
    I'm currently in an exercise program and am able to meet the physical fitness test requirements except the 2 mile run time.
    Endurance training to improve 2 mile run time seems to be making me lose weight.
    My trainer recommended I try weight gainers like what can be bought a gnc: Link here
    Would weight gainers make me fail a drug test or otherwise disqualify me?

Re: ? about meeting minimum weight requirements

Originally posted by IG40K View Post
    I'm currently in an exercise program and am able to meet the physical fitness test requirements except the 2 mile run time.
    Endurance training to improve 2 mile run time seems to be making me lose weight.
    My trainer recommended I try weight gainers like what can be bought a gnc: Link here
    Again...really?!

For the 3,782 time on this forum......illegal drugs are what cause you to fail a test for illegal drugs. So unless your GNC salesman doubles as a crack dealer on the weekend, no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by IG40K View Post
      Nope, but do check in with your physician as many of these kinds of products have not been tested by the FDA. I doubt there will be any issues, though. You know, eating more protein, more calories, and healthy fats can also help you build muscle which results in weight gain without any special powder...just an observation.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        Again...really?!

For the 3,782 time on this forum......illegal drugs are what cause you to fail a test for illegal drugs. So unless your GNC salesman doubles as a crack dealer on the weekend, no issue.
        Morning chuckles have been had.

Comment

At the risk of being laughed at and taunted, I'm going to post this anyways...

There are certain supplements that can contribute to false-positive outcomes when tested for synthetic steroids. One example is Suma Root. It is a naturally occurring testosterone booster that "could be erroneously detected and flagged in synthetic steroid screening tests." It has been banned by the NFL and WADA (I'm not sure if the US Military conforms to these regulations or not) but is still perfectly legal to buy over the counter. That being said, the weight gainer shakes the OP could purchase at GNC will be high in protein/carbs and won't contribute to a false-positive outcome.

As RyCass mention, you could always consult a physician/health and fitness expert/personal trainer to put your mind at ease.

Comment

I know some people will think I am stupid for asking this but I was wondering why is it in basic training Privates aren't allowed to use supplements from back home? Obviously I'm not talking about anything illegal! Just wondering

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
              I know some people will think I am stupid for asking this but I was wondering why is it in basic training Privates aren't allowed to use supplements from back home? Obviously I'm not talking about anything illegal! Just wondering
              Because supplements can cause physical changes, such as rapid heart beat or dehydration, that could be dangerous in a BCT environment where one is already being stressed intentionally. These could push someone over the edge, physically.

Comment

Yeah I guess you are correct. Basic Training isn't about training to become Mr. Olympia after all.

Comment

Gaining weight is simply taking in more calories than you burn, but here's some advice I just posted in another weight gaining thread.

3 things you need to put on weight

1. Squats
                  2. Deadlifts
                  3. GOMAD - Gallon Of Milk A Day.

For the squats and deadlifts, I suggest you look up Staring Strength by Mark Ripptoe. There are even spreadsheets out there that will give you the right routine and even the amount of weight to use. As far as the milk goes, it has to be whole milk. It's also in addition to your normal meal routine.

This will work better and faster than using any "weight gainer" crap you can buy.

I followed this program for 8 weeks and went from 152 to 176 and put 40+ pounds on my max for each of sqauts, deadlifts, and bench press. I was also doing cardio in the mornings (unit PT), so I may have gained a little more weight without doing the extra cardio everyday. And yes some of the weight will be fat, but you burn most of that off at basic anyway.

As far as your "endurance training" for the 2miler, 2 miles is not an endurance event. Focus on doing more sprints and intervals - things like 60/120's work well. Sprints will also help with muscle development much more than long slow runs. For proof, check out the body types of Olympic sprinters vs Olympics marathon runners.

Comment

Originally posted by sherfield2002 View Post
                    Gaining weight is simply taking in more calories than you burn, but here's some advice I just posted in another weight gaining thread.

3 things you need to put on weight

1. Squats
                    2. Deadlifts
                    3. GOMAD - Gallon Of Milk A Day.

For the squats and deadlifts, I suggest you look up Staring Strength by Mark Ripptoe. There are even spreadsheets out there that will give you the right routine and even the amount of weight to use. As far as the milk goes, it has to be whole milk. It's also in addition to your normal meal routine.

This will work better and faster than using any "weight gainer" crap you can buy.

I followed this program for 8 weeks and went from 152 to 176 and put 40+ pounds on my max for each of sqauts, deadlifts, and bench press. I was also doing cardio in the mornings (unit PT), so I may have gained a little more weight without doing the extra cardio everyday. And yes some of the weight will be fat, but you burn most of that off at basic anyway.

As far as your "endurance training" for the 2miler, 2 miles is not an endurance event. Focus on doing more sprints and intervals - things like 60/120's work well. Sprints will also help with muscle development much more than long slow runs. For proof, check out the body types of Olympic sprinters vs Olympics marathon runners.
                    Be mindful of this part! It's much healthier to gain the weight slowly by muscle building then packing on the fat pounds.
                    Last edited by RyCass; January 29th, 2013, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sherfield2002 View Post
                      2 miles is not an endurance event.
                      Why do you say that?

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                        Why do you say that?
                        IMHO You're getting into true endurance runs when you're talking 4-5 miles and up. The instructions on the APFT even says "The 2-mile run measures your aerobic fitness and endurance of the leg muscles."

So basically that event is not a true measure of long-term endurance, but more of your cardiovascular aerobic fitness. This is also why the alternate events for those on profile that cannot run are aerobic events.

Comment

Working...
                        X