X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calf cramps?

I have been running for some time now. Long distances since March of 2012. Never had a problem other than common soreness. Recently after running I get a "cramp" in my left calf and it hurts to where I limp. After a day or so of rest its back to normal, then I can run again. I'm hoping this is just a cramp. Has anyone had anything similar to this happen to them out of the blue?

Re: Calf cramps?

Originally posted by BP11b View Post
    I have been running for some time now. Long distances since March of 2012. Never had a problem other than common soreness. Recently after running I get a "cramp" in my left calf and it hurts to where I limp. After a day or so of rest its back to normal, then I can run again. I'm hoping this is just a cramp. Has anyone had anything similar to this happen to them out of the blue?
    I really hope you're not running in basketball shoes.

Are you drinking enough water before and after you run and replacing lost electrolytes afterwards?

Comment

No. I have purchased some Nike shoes specific for running. I was running in Reebok Zigs before and never had an issue. I still drink water throughout the day but could definately drink more. Id like to think its just cramps but it being reoccuring and in the same spot makes me wander.

Comment

You probably aren't stretching, and if you are, maybe not properly.

Comment

Originally posted by BP11b View Post
          No. I have purchased some Nike shoes specific for running. I was running in Reebok Zigs before and never had an issue. I still drink water throughout the day but could definately drink more. Id like to think its just cramps but it being reoccuring and in the same spot makes me wander.
          I've used all brands. The best brand to use is Mizuno Wave. Nike shoes wear out too quickly and are too soft, more form than function, in my opinion. It also helps to have a pair of shoes set aside only for running in and another pair for regular workouts. Not only may you not be properly stretching before and after you run, you're also not allowing enough initial time to recover. Your injury might be such that you may even need to drop running altogether for a week. Otherwise, you're just re-injuring yourself and possibly causing acute muscle strain or tear.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; January 9th, 2013, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X