Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I desperately need some help or reassurance (even though I don't deserve it!)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I desperately need some help or reassurance (even though I don't deserve it!)

Hi all -
    I feel like I desperately need some help. I enlisted in November, shipping out at the end of February. I went to my first RSP drill last month and admittedly did terrible on the AFPT. I ran a mile in just under 10 minutes, did about 12 pushups and I think I only managed to get 10 situps in. Before this, I really thought I was in better shape. A few years ago, I know that I would have been able to do a lot more than that, but I just felt like such a failure. I was determined to make sure that I attempted to "work out" more and make sure that I would do a lot better at the next drill. I don't like to make excuses, but life happened. I took a full-time position at the company I work for and I've somehow ended up working 55+ hours per week, I had the flu for almost two weeks and just generally stressed out. I know this is no excuse for not doing this, especially considering I'm shipping out next month. I have drill coming up this weekend and I really am nervous about it.

So here I am just asking for some basic, easy tips on how to, at the very least, be able to run a little better. I get about halfway in to the run and I literally feel like my lungs are going to collapse and my legs feel like they might fall off. I suck it up and deal with it, but it's so embarrassing. Any tips, tricks, ANYTHING would be wonderful. Thank you so, so much.

Re: I desperately need some help or reassurance (even though I don't deserve it!)

Try an elliptical machine.

Comment

Re: I desperately need some help or reassurance (even though I don't deserve it!)

My advice to you is to just do the exercises. Especially if work is the issue, get up 30-40 minutes earlier and do a run. Every morning for a month will make a big difference.

Comment

Try running longer amounts of time at a much slower pace - one where you don't feel like your lungs are going to explode. If you have to walk for a little bit, that is ok. Just walk until you can run again but walk at a decent pace. Don't focus on speed, focus on longer runs to build up your stamina. Try adding in interval sprints once or twice a week.

(this is what I did and obviously I am not a doctor and I am assuming you are physically able to exercise since you are enlisted and going to basic soon)

Comment

Originally posted by shouldhaveknown View Post
          Hi all -
          I feel like I desperately need some help. I enlisted in November, shipping out at the end of February. I went to my first RSP drill last month and admittedly did terrible on the AFPT. I ran a mile in just under 10 minutes, did about 12 pushups and I think I only managed to get 10 situps in. Before this, I really thought I was in better shape. A few years ago, I know that I would have been able to do a lot more than that, but I just felt like such a failure. I was determined to make sure that I attempted to "work out" more and make sure that I would do a lot better at the next drill. I don't like to make excuses, but life happened. I took a full-time position at the company I work for and I've somehow ended up working 55+ hours per week, I had the flu for almost two weeks and just generally stressed out. I know this is no excuse for not doing this, especially considering I'm shipping out next month. I have drill coming up this weekend and I really am nervous about it.

So here I am just asking for some basic, easy tips on how to, at the very least, be able to run a little better. I get about halfway in to the run and I literally feel like my lungs are going to collapse and my legs feel like they might fall off. I suck it up and deal with it, but it's so embarrassing. Any tips, tricks, ANYTHING would be wonderful. Thank you so, so much.
          I'd speak with a personal trainer. Explain you situation and get some professional advice. All we can do on this board is tell you what worked for us; we are not (in general) fitness professionals.

On an encouraging note, my fitness level upon starting BCT was comparable to where you are currently. By the time I graduated, I was scoring ~230. I now score about 300. Watch your diet to get your body fat percentage down (assuming you're overweight). Whether you're overweight or not, however, you need to strengthen your cardiovascular system which means getting your heart rate up. Try using machines at the gym with a heart rate monitor and stay within your target range. Your cardio performance (regardless of exercise) should correlate strongly with your running ability (on flat ground).

Comment

You're getting some good advice. Be sure to browse the other fitness threads on here. There's been some great conversations on this previously. Good luck with your goals!

Comment

Originally posted by shouldhaveknown View Post
              Hi all -

Let me get this straight.

You're drilling THIS weekend........your immune system is still relatively weak AND you're shipping at the end of next month. It's going to be hard but you still have time.

In a nutshell I've been training for over 20 years. I may not be a professional trainer, nutritionist or physician but I do know what works and what doesn't.

First, invest in a good liquid multivitamin. Invest in soft gel fish oil capsules. Drink lots of water. Reason being is the liquid multivitamins are needed to boost your immune system. It's easier for your body to absorb liquid multivitamins as opposed to taking multivitamins in pill form and urinating more than 60% of it's value down the drain. Soft gel fish oil pills will help to ease joint pain as you will be taxing your joints. Start drinking chocolate soy milk. This is one of the easiest and healthiest ways to get protein in your body, and help in muscle recovery after a workout as opposed to supplements i.e. protein powders, which are loaded with sugar. Get yourself a camelback and a backpack, if you don't already have one, from Wal-mart, and a 50 pound bag of sand from Home Depot.

Drink one Camelbak a day.

Put the sandbag in your backpack and ruck march for at least a mile once a week.

Twice a week perform release runs/interval training on the treadmill. First warm up for 5 minutes. Near the end of your 5 minute walk increase the incline on the treadmill 50% and gradually increase the speed to a brisk sprint until you feel until you've hit your limit. Slow treadmill speed, lower back down to level and walk for a minute. Repeat. Over time regulate incline height and speed.

Twice a week get on an elliptical and go for for a solid hour at about 40% resistance.

At least once a week should be set aside for nothing but rest. Also, on training days, avoid channel surfing and get to bed as early as you can.
              Last edited by VICEROY06; January 8th, 2013, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X