Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improve my run time

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Improve my run time

    How can I improve my run time?

    I'm steadily improving on pushups and situps (not failing, but still improving), but my 2 mile run is holding me back from passing my APFT and getting my SFS promotion. I'm currently running around the 18:40 mark, and I want to get under the 15 minute mark. I ran a 1/2 mile in 3:38 before succumbing to a preexisting fever.

    I currently run a mile indoors in ~7:50 (treadmill) at least 3 times a week, and do 100m bursts once a week. Is running on a treadmill easier than outside?

    I'm going to improve my routine to 2 miles outdoors and just get used to it through repetition.
    Are there any other ways to improve my time?

  • #2
    Re: Improve my run time

    There are a ton of running tips on just this forum alone and this section in particular. Search bar, upper right hand corner. Put those internet searching skills to use and find a good running forum for better tips.

    A treadmill is easier for a number of reasons. The best you can do with a treadmill is to set the incline to at least 2.0 to help balance it out a little in comparison to running on a road. You will take the APFT outside so its best to train in that environment. I won't knock the treadmill too hard because I still use it from time to time but I certainly do 90% of my running outside.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Improve my run time

      I don't bother to do short distance interval work. I'm sure it helps but I simply run outdoors for 5 miles three or four times a week. The way I see it, my 2 mile split times will always be faster than my 5 mile split times. Working on getting faster at the 5 miler will get you faster for your 2 miler.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Improve my run time

        Short distance intervals do work very well in my opinion and personal experience. However improving a longer distance time like a 5 mile is also very beneficial, which is why many good running programs that help bring down a 5k time work both ends at the same time.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Improve my run time

          Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
          Short distance intervals do work very well in my opinion and personal experience. However improving a longer distance time like a 5 mile is also very beneficial, which is why many good running programs that help bring down a 5k time work both ends at the same time.
          +1. I agree with everything you said. Aside from those who have medical conditions that prevent them from taking/passing an APFT, it does not require a heck of a lot of effort to pass one. Heck, if you've been running 5 miles three times a week for a while and are not obese, you will probably either max or come close to maxing the run portion of the APFT. The amusing part is that you don't even need a truly comprehensive running workout plan to max it and yet we still have people that barely meet the standard.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Improve my run time

            Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            +1. I agree with everything you said. Aside from those who have medical conditions that prevent them from taking/passing an APFT, it does not require a heck of a lot of effort to pass one. Heck, if you've been running 5 miles three times a week for a while and are not obese, you will probably either max or come close to maxing the run portion of the APFT. The amusing part is that you don't even need a truly comprehensive running workout plan to max it and yet we still have people that barely meet the standard.
            Thats the most frustrating part about it, it doesn't take much effort to pass the APFT yet some people still manage to post a 2 mile run time of 30+ minutes. Thats not even an exageration either, the last APFT I took we had a soldier come in at 32 minutes. I was just crossing the 1.5 mile mark when I crossed paths with him. Some of these guys just refuse to do any kind of physical activity between drills and they think they are not hurting anyone but themselves. That is until we hit deployment and I put the boot in their asses for an entire year. Some people just don't realize that in our line of work being physically fit can litteraly be the difference between life and death. Or even worse the difference between life and death for your battle budy because your extreme turdness got him killed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Improve my run time

              Ah, Private Second Class. Strong work. One more promotion and you'll be a Senior Private.

              Interval training IS one of the two primary ways to increase your speed. It's generally miserable, but it is very useful. The second is body weight, which equates to approximately 2 seconds per mile, per pound. Each pound of lost body weight will decrease your 2 mile PT run by 4 seconds. That does not account for any increases in cardiovascular fitness.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Improve my run time

                Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                Ah, Private Second Class. Strong work. One more promotion and you'll be a Senior Private.

                Interval training IS one of the two primary ways to increase your speed. It's generally miserable, but it is very useful. The second is body weight, which equates to approximately 2 seconds per mile, per pound. Each pound of lost body weight will decrease your 2 mile PT run by 4 seconds. That does not account for any increases in cardiovascular fitness.
                I believe the general concept but how did you come up with the figure?

                Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
                Thats the most frustrating part about it, it doesn't take much effort to pass the APFT yet some people still manage to post a 2 mile run time of 30+ minutes. Thats not even an exageration either, the last APFT I took we had a soldier come in at 32 minutes. I was just crossing the 1.5 mile mark when I crossed paths with him. Some of these guys just refuse to do any kind of physical activity between drills and they think they are not hurting anyone but themselves. That is until we hit deployment and I put the boot in their asses for an entire year. Some people just don't realize that in our line of work being physically fit can litteraly be the difference between life and death. Or even worse the difference between life and death for your battle budy because your extreme turdness got him killed.
                The way I think about it (NG compared to AD). You don't have the time, experience, or resources to really train small unit tactics, however, PT is one thing that you can do. If one can't even feel any type of responsibility to do the SINGLE thing you can train regardless of NG or AD, then there's just no hope.
                Last edited by Polo08816; December 13th, 2012, 06:48 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Improve my run time

                  Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                  I
                  The way I think about it (NG compared to AD). You don't have the time, experience, or resources to really train small unit tactics, however, PT is one thing that you can do. If one can't even feel any type of responsibility to do the SINGLE thing you can train regardless of NG or AD, then there's just no hope.
                  For real. This is one of the reasons why I plan to exit the NG after my deployment.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Improve my run time

                    I got the figure from a runner's world magazine years ago honestly. Although, the principal is valid. Try running with a 20 pound weight in your hand, or better yet a weight vest...then take it off and see the increase in speed.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Improve my run time

                      OP, you've got some great tips so far!

                      What I would add to everything is first, to reiterate, get out of the gym and run outside! A treadmill doesn't work your leg muscles the way a normal run would. (Don't you notice how sluggish you feel that first quarter of a mile?) If it's hard to get out side frequently (admittedly, it is getting colder and potentially dangerous to run due to icy conditions), try using the cross training portion of your treadmill on the days you can't. Meaning, use that incline! Make your body work hard and push that cardiovascular system. Every running workout day should leave you sweating and tired (in a good way). One of things I wonder is if you have hit that "wall" where your body is so use to your workout routine that you've stopped improving.

                      That leads to my second tip: be sure you're changing up your routine. If you like interval running/sprints, try to throw that in with distance running. One of the posters above made a good point about running longer distances. If your body is conditioned to run farther, then 2 miles is nothing.

                      Thirdly, as you're looking into how your body weight affects your running, take notice of other externals such as your stride, your shoes, your posture, and even how flexible your tendons are. While the only real way to improve your run is to go out and do it, tweaking these areas will help you shave off seconds and even minutes! I can personally attest to short tendons and how they use to affect my run. After going to Physical Therapy and learning how to properly stretch, I was amazed at how much FASTER I could run. So, I'm a huge advocate for stretching.

                      Lastly, try some overall body strength training. Running uses more than just your legs and glutes. It also uses your back, your abs, your arms...pretty much your whole body. It's no accident that excellent runners are strong everywhere. Try to target the weaker parts of your body with some strength training (not necessarily bulking up though! That will only increase the weight you're trying to move!) and see how that helps!

                      Keep working hard! Your goal is definitely doable so keep that mental focus up and go for it!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Improve my run time

                        Thank you everyone for your reply and the information provided, especially you RyCass.

                        Mod, please end this on a high note and close the thread. Thanks in advance.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X