X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goal: Under 13:00 2 mile!

I just had a PT test on Saturday for RSP. My 2 mile time was 13:15 and I really want to get it under 13:00. Some people recommended HIIT(high intensity interval training) for me, the thing is I don't really know how to start with that? And what will it do to help me?

Re: Goal: Under 13:00 2 mile!

Hard to believe someone that runs a 13:15 doesn't know a) how to shave off the time, and b)what interval training is...

Comment

And another thing...you're in the wrong place. I'd try looking at some running forums for advice on running.

Comment

Yeah, sorry never heard of it, I don't really run that often

Comment

Hell you could shave off 15 seconds by just switching to the right pair of shoes. Or improving your flexibility (increases your stride length and therefore your pace increases). Interval training will be one of the most usefull tools you could implement in reducing that 2 mile time.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
            Hell you could shave off 15 seconds by just switching to the right pair of shoes. Or improving your flexibility (increases your stride length and therefore your pace increases). Interval training will be one of the most usefull tools you could implement in reducing that 2 mile time.
            I can't even touch my toes, so increasing flexibility could help me a lot! Thanks Sargent!!

Comment

Can't he just grow longer legs?

Comment

Four cans of energy drink could do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                  Can't he just grow longer legs?
                  LOL! Wouldn't that be awesome. I'm 5'5 and I average a 12.45 2 mile these days. If I could increase my height by even just 3 inches I think my time would drastically drop without any other changes. In the past with a good 3 months of solid interval training I ran a 11.57, but that also required a weight loss of 15lbs off my normal weight. Staying in that kind of condition was not realistic for the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                    Four cans of energy drink could do it too.
                    Even though it is very obvious that Chappy is joking, here is the disclaimer: doing so could very well result in a heart attack. So DO NOT ATTEMPT!

Comment

Even though it is very obvious that Chappy is joking, here is the disclaimer: doing so could very well result in a heart attack. So DO NOT ATTEMPT!
                      Yeah I was joking....but the number of times I've heard and seen people do a apft that were hungover.....
                      Last edited by Chaplain4me; December 10th, 2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

My best Air Force PT test was 92 push ups (in 90 seconds), 82 sit ups (in 90 seconds), and a two mile run in 12:12. (When my run time was called out, I remember looking back and thinking that someones watch must be broken) I was a 23 year old pack a day smoker too. But back then, I was young and bullet proof, plus I kept myself in really good shape.

Start out by timing yourself and get down to 1.5 miles in 10 minutes (consistently). Then take a week off and shoot for 9 minutes and train till you get there. If you can get your 1.5 miles done in between 8-9 minutes or less, and stay consistent, your golden. That is how I did it but your results could vary. Also, I did not train at elevation which is much more difficult depending where you live.

Good luck.
                        Last edited by NorCal; December 10th, 2012, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bcutberth View Post
                          I just had a PT test on Saturday for RSP. My 2 mile time was 13:15 and I really want to get it under 13:00. Some people recommended HIIT(high intensity interval training) for me, the thing is I don't really know how to start with that? And what will it do to help me?
                          Don't listen to any specific PT advice you get here. Seriously, unless someone is a certified trainer, all they can relate is some anecdote outlining something that they believe worked for them.

By the way, the two-mile run is stupid other than for promotion purposes. Better to work on getting your five-mile time under 35 minutes.

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
                          ...you're in the wrong place. I'd try looking at some running forums for advice on running.
                          What this guy said.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                            Don't listen to any specific PT advice you get here. Seriously, unless someone is a certified trainer, all they can relate is some anecdote outlining something that they believe worked for them.

By the way, the two-mile run is stupid other than for promotion purposes. Better to work on getting your five-mile time under 35 minutes.

What this guy said.
                            Of a three-mile run if you are a Marine.

Comment

Just run more, it's only 15 seconds. Shaving off 15 seconds could also be done by simply sprinting the last quarter lap (especially the last straight stretch) if you're on a track for your APFT. If you're looking for more guidance, I posted up a '9 weeks of running hell' program up here not too long ago, check that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X