X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st APFT

I'm a former Marine that's gonna be hopefully going in to the guard in the next couple months. At what point would I have to run the PFT? I'm not going through MEPS just a med center here, from what I understand. Just curious so I can shave some time off my run.

Re: 1st APFT

Could be your first day in the unit, you would have to call your Readiness NCO (not your recruiter...just making that clear).

Assuming you're 25, you have 16:36 to run 2 miles and as a former Marine, you should be able to jog that.

Comment

Oh goodness.....I was 25 ten years ago. But I'm a cop now so not completely out of shape. I am sure I can pass it but I'd be ashamed to go in there and get the lowest score!

Comment

You got 17:42 to run it in. More importantly is, do you know the requirements to pass each event? If you fail one event, you fail them all. We do sit-ups (break the plane) with hands behind the head, interlocked. You need a minimum of 60 points to pass each event.

http://www.apft-standards.com/

Comment

Appreciate it.

Comment

Yea, no 3 mile runs or pullups to worry about......

It seems you'll be just fine! It never hurts to do some individual testing events on your own to get a baseline.

Comment

Originally posted by jarhead2ng View Post
              Oh goodness.....I was 25 ten years ago. But I'm a cop now so not completely out of shape. I am sure I can pass it but I'd be ashamed to go in there and get the lowest score!
              Relax. I knew former Marines that failed the Army APFT because, 1) Like you, that has not been PTing for a while; go too hard out and burn themselves out and 2) Pace the two mile as the three mile and fail. My buddy did in 2004 and he was like "oh s^&*, this is embarrassing" but then after he ran a couple of days pacing it properly, was running it in 14 and 15 minute times and he was in his early 30s at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                Relax. I knew former Marines that failed the Army APFT because, 1) Like you, that has not been PTing for a while; go too hard out and burn themselves out and 2) Pace the two mile as the three mile and fail. My buddy did in 2004 and he was like "oh s^&*, this is embarrassing" but then after he ran a couple of days pacing it properly, was running it in 14 and 15 minute times and he was in his early 30s at the time.
                Most because of #1. If someone is doing their 3 mile at a respectable pace sub 7 min/mile, then they will definitely pass the APFT. I don't see how someone that can run at that pace will simply fail an APFT due to a simple pacing problem.

Of course, all Marines that I know run their 3 mile in sub 18:00...

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                  Most because of #1. If someone is doing their 3 mile at a respectable pace sub 7 min/mile, then they will definitely pass the APFT. I don't see how someone that can run at that pace will simply fail an APFT due to a simple pacing problem.

Sweet! lol. The fastest I ran was in Okinawa at 19:36 and I felt like I was moving like lightning. I think that is my two mile time now lol. Well, we had our last PT test two months ago and I hit a new age bracket soon.
                  Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; November 15th, 2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post

Ha, I was never sub 18, but I ran in the 19s most my time in, until the reserves and it slowed down a bit (too cold in MI!)

I've ran 2 half marathons in the last 2 years but at a VERY slow pace (11ish). I've stopped working on distance and started working on speed a lil more. We shall see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by jarhead2ng View Post
                      Ha, I was never sub 18, but I ran in the 19s most my time in, until the reserves and it slowed down a bit (too cold in MI!)

I've ran 2 half marathons in the last 2 years but at a VERY slow pace (11ish). I've stopped working on distance and started working on speed a lil more. We shall see what happens.
                      I knew a Corporal at Quantico who use to run 15 minutes in three miles. He walked on water. Matter of fact, the day before he got promoted from Lance Corporal to Corporal, he got drunk and trashed the barracks. Nothing happened to him accept a promotion. Wish I had it like that

Comment

Working...
                      X