X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to join the National Guard

I want to join the National Guard, but I think I'll fail the Physical Test(at least in the conditions I'm now) . I've recently started to do pushups and Situps although I've only been able to barely do about 6 of them (I'm male, 19). I've never done much physical activity before, that might be why it is so hard right now. My question is, what happens if I fail the PT?, and how long does it takes since the moment you join until the PT? Do you get any training before it?, Sorry if it all been asked before (Which I think it had been) and sorry for any mistakes,English isn't my first language. (Also sorry if this is on the wrong section)
    Last edited by Michael Angelo Valentin; November 7th, 2012, 08:32 PM.

Re: I want to join the National Guard

Originally posted by Michael Angelo Valentin View Post
    I want to join the National Guard, but I think I'll fail the Physical Test(at least in the conditions I'm now) . I've recently started to do pushups and Situps although I've only been able to barely do about 6 of them (I'm male, 19). I've never done much physical activity before, that might be why it is so hard right now. My question is, what happens if I fail the PT?, and how long does it takes since the moment you join until the PT? Do you get any training before it?, Sorry if it all been asked before (Which I think it had been) and sorry for any mistakes,English isn't my first language. (Also sorry if this is on the wrong section)
    Are you asking what happens if you fail the PT in Basic Combat Training? You'll have several times to take the test, and plenty of opportunity to "practice" before the final test at the end of BCT. So, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My best advice for you is to get as in shape as you can before you leave for training. If you keep a consistent workout plan, you'll be surprised at how much you'll improve over a short period of time. Make sure, too, that you are eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water.

There are two things I recommend you check out. Take a look at the Fitness section on the National Guard website: Fitness. There's a lot of tips and general information on there about what you can expect physically. The second thing is to take some time on the Fitness Forum on here and read up on what others have done to get into shape. There are a lot of knowledgeable members that have been where you are at and have met their goals.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      Are you asking what happens if you fail the PT in Basic Combat Training? You'll have several times to take the test, and plenty of opportunity to "practice" before the final test at the end of BCT. So, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My best advice for you is to get as in shape as you can before you leave for training. If you keep a consistent workout plan, you'll be surprised at how much you'll improve over a short period of time. Make sure, too, that you are eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water.

There are two things I recommend you check out. Take a look at the Fitness section on the National Guard website: Fitness. There's a lot of tips and general information on there about what you can expect physically. The second thing is to take some time on the Fitness Forum on here and read up on what others have done to get into shape. There are a lot of knowledgeable members that have been where you are at and have met their goals.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
      Thanks for the answer, much appreciated, I don't know anything about making daily routine, but I guess I'll just get over there and make one, I'll try to keep a constant routine. I'm going to start getting more information, maybe meet a recruiter and ask him, since I haven't actually met anyone. Anything else I should keep in mind before BCT?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Angelo Valentin View Post
        Thanks for the answer, much appreciated, I don't know anything about making daily routine, but I guess I'll just get over there and make one, I'll try to keep a constant routine. I'm going to start getting more information, maybe meet a recruiter and ask him, since I haven't actually met anyone. Anything else I should keep in mind before BCT?
        Making a routine is actually fairly easy. Start off with trying to work out 4-5 days a week. Focus specifically on 30 minutes of cardio at least three days a week (running, biking, treadmill, an eliptical, hiking, swimming, power walking, etc), and have at least one day where you reach muscle failure with your push-ups and sit ups. Additionally, try to do some each day with your cardio workouts. Once your body adjusts to exercising regularly, increase the number of days you work out and the intensity of your sessions. For example, increase your cardio by 10 minutes (or if you are doing miles, try to add a quarter to half a mile onto your run). Incease your push-ups/sit-ups with an extra set of 10 or an additional day where you push yourself to muscle failure. Ultimately, you want to get to 5-6 days of working out, giving yourself a few days in the week where you let your body rest and recover.

Basically, there are countless ways you can tailor your routine to suit your needs. This is just an off-the-cuff example of what you can do. A couple of things you want to make sure you are doing is: changing up your routine so your body doesn't get "use to it" (for example, don't do the same cardio exercise every time), building up your stamina slowly BUT consistently (don't sprint run three days in a row and rest the remainder of the week!), increasing your general muscle strength by USING those muscles! (you won't be able to do more pushups unless you DO pushups), and letting your body recover (working out every other day is more affective than doing strenuous activities every day in a row).

As for as what else you can do to prepare for BCT, here's what you can expect when you get there.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
        X