X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT improvements

Just thought I would share my own improvements with everyone. i am prior service NG (1997-2000). In the last 12 years, I have put on over 60 pounds, smoked, ate total garbage (many a lunch was a King Size Snickers bar with a Coke), and basically just languished. I decided earlier this year to get back into the Guard, and in April started to eat better and workout.

since April, I can now pass a self-administered PT test. I won't be getting a perfect 300 anytime soon, but i can pass. I can do around 40 pushups, 50 situps, and run 2 miles around 17:30 (which is passing for my age). My goal is to max everything out at the 17-21 age level.

Anyways, this morning I was able to run 4 miles straight. My pace was slow (9.5 minute/mi), but I was happy with it. I haven't run that far since basic training in 1998. I'm also down to about 173 pounds (5'11" height).

Just thought I would share in case anyone else out there was like me and thought that getting fit was impossible.

Re: PT improvements

Great job spcchap.. I just reenlisted into the National Guard after being out for the past 13 years (ETS in 1999). I was able to past my self administered pt test after 2 months (pushups 42 situps 45 run 17:45) damb good for not doing anything for 13 years and 2 months to train. Then this past weekend I injuryed myself taking a record PT test. Of course I get my butt chew out my the CO for hurting myself and for sitting on my butt for 13 years.

Comment

Thanks for the inspiration guys!

Comment

Well done!

...not to bring up something you've probably already thought about but had you not gotten out, you'd only be 5 years away from retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
          Well done!

...not to bring up something you've probably already thought about but had you not gotten out, you'd only be 5 years away from retirement!
          LOL. Step on my head while I'm drowning why don't ya! Yeah, I have thought of that. I would change a lot of things if I could do it all over. I probably would have done regular army for a few years just to get the experience too. Oh well. I was a dumb 20 year old. i dropped out of college too. Now here I am 12 years later trying to finish that too!

Comment

Originally posted by rflores69 View Post
            Great job spcchap.. I just reenlisted into the National Guard after being out for the past 13 years (ETS in 1999). I was able to past my self administered pt test after 2 months (pushups 42 situps 45 run 17:45) damb good for not doing anything for 13 years and 2 months to train. Then this past weekend I injuryed myself taking a record PT test. Of course I get my butt chew out my the CO for hurting myself and for sitting on my butt for 13 years.
            The hardest thing for me was the run. Like a moron, for the first few months I trained on my treadmill. I got to where I could pass. Then I went to the track. I went from 17:30 to about 20 minutes! I got back down to about 18.5 pretty quick, but then seemed to plateau there for a while. i hope to be down to 16:00 by christmas.

Situps were always pretty easy for me. Even after 12 years, i could still pass them. Go figure... Pushups just come with building muscle, losing weight, and endurance. Back in April, I could do like 3 of them, LOL.

Comment

Awesome progress SPC! Keep up the good work, you've already gotten over the mental hurdle, which some would say is the most difficult of all. I have a running plan that will kick your behind into gear very quickly, if you're interested. It was supplied to me a couple years ago by a member on this site (don't remember who though). It was able to get through 4 weeks of it before jobs, school and other obligations made it impractical to continue, but it really helped me. I run regularly three times a week for my ROTC BN PT as well as another two days on my own. Let me know if you're interested in the plan and I will get it to you via PM or email. CHARLIE MIKE!

Comment

Originally posted by spcchap View Post
                Just thought I would share my own improvements with everyone. i am prior service NG (1997-2000). In the last 12 years, I have put on over 60 pounds, smoked, ate total garbage (many a lunch was a King Size Snickers bar with a Coke), and basically just languished. I decided earlier this year to get back into the Guard, and in April started to eat better and workout.

since April, I can now pass a self-administered PT test. I won't be getting a perfect 300 anytime soon, but i can pass. I can do around 40 pushups, 50 situps, and run 2 miles around 17:30 (which is passing for my age). My goal is to max everything out at the 17-21 age level.

Anyways, this morning I was able to run 4 miles straight. My pace was slow (9.5 minute/mi), but I was happy with it. I haven't run that far since basic training in 1998. I'm also down to about 173 pounds (5'11" height).

Just thought I would share in case anyone else out there was like me and thought that getting fit was impossible.
                Yes, this is very awesome! Congratulations!

If you or anyone else has workout plans you feel comfortable posting, please do! There are a lot of members that would benefit from the inspiration and perhaps a different perspective on their workout routines.

Comment

Here is a running plan that I got into awhile ago:

9 weeks of running hell

Week 1
                  Day 1 mile warm up jog. Run mile in 3.00 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile in 3.00 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Repeat until you have run the timed mile interval 4 times.
                  Day 2 Rest
                  Day 3 Run 3 miles in 22 minutes or faster.
                  Day 4 Rest
                  Day 5 Repeat day 1 routine. The goal is to run each timed mile intervals at 3.00 or under. If not all of the timed intervals meet the goal then repeat week one until each timed interval can be run in 3.00 or faster. This principal applies to every week.
                  Day 6 Cross train. Low impact cardio activity i.e. elliptical cross trainer, stair master, bike, swimming etc. Can also include aerobic activities such as cardio kick boxing. For 20-30 minutes
                  Day 7 Rest

Week 2
                  Day 1 mile warm up jog. Run 1 mile at 6.00 or under. Walk mile jog mile. Run mile at 3.00. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile at 3.00 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile at 3.00 or under.
                  Day 2 Rest
                  Day 3 Run 6 miles at your own pace, time is not important
                  Day 4 Rest
                  Day 5 Repeat day 1 routine.
                  Day 6 Cross train for 20 minutes.
                  Day 7 Rest

Week 3
                  Day 1 mile warm up jog. Run 1.5 miles at 9.15 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile at 3.00 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile at 3.00 or under, walk mile, jog mile. Run mile at 3.00 or under.
                  Day 2 Rest
                  Day 3 4 mile run in 29.00 or faster
                  Day 4 Rest
                  Day 5 Repeat day 1 routine.
                  Day 6 Cross train for 30 minutes
                  Day 7 Rest

Week 4
                  Day 1 mile warm up jog. Run 1 mile in 6.00 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run 1 mile in 6.10 or under. Walk mile jog mile. Run mile in 3.00 or under
                  Day 2 Rest
                  Day 3 Run 3 miles in 20.00 or faster.
                  Day 4 Rest
                  Day 5 mile warm up jog. Run 1.5 miles in 9.15 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run 1 mile in 6.15 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile in 3.00 or under.
                  Day 5 Run 5 miles, time is not important
                  Day 6 Rest

Week 5
                  Day 1 mile warm up jog. Run 1.5 miles in 9.00 or under. Walk mile, jog 1/4 mile. Run 1 mile in 6.15 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile in 3.00 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile at 3.00 or under.
                  Day 2 Rest
                  Day 3 Run 5 miles in 37.00 or faster.(Sapper Leader Course/Ranger School standard is 40.00 minutes)
                  Day 4 Rest
                  Day 5 Run 1 mile in 6.00 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run 1 mile in 6.00 or under. Walk 1/4 mile jog mile. Run mile in 3.00 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile in 3.00 or under. Walk mile jog mile. Run mile in 3.00 or under.
                  Day 6 Rest
                  Day 7 Rest

Week 6
                  Day 1 mile warm up jog. Run 1.5 miles in 9.00 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run 1.5 miles in 9.15 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile in 3.00 or under.
                  Day 2 Rest
                  Day 3 Run 8 miles, time is not important.
                  Day 4 Rest
                  Day 5 Rest
                  Day 6 Cross train 30 minutes.
                  Day 7 Rest

Week 7
                  Day 1 mile warm up jog. Run 2 miles in 12.45 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run 1 mile in 6.15 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile in 3.00 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile in 3.00 or under.
                  Day 2 Rest
                  Day 3 Rest
                  Day 4 Cross train for 30 minutes.
                  Day 5 Run 6 miles in 45.00 or faster.
                  Day 6 Cross train for 20 minutes
                  Day 7 Rest

Week 8
                  Day 1 Rest
                  Day 2 mile warm up jog. Run 2 miles in 12.30 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run 1 mile in 6.15 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run 1 mile in 6.30 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run mile in 3.00 or under.
                  Day 3 Rest
                  Day 4 Rest
                  Day 5 Run 4 miles in 28.00 or faster.
                  Day 6 Cross train for 20 minutes.
                  Day 7 Rest

Week 9
                  Day 1 Rest
                  Day 2 Rest
                  Day 3 mile warm up jog. Run 1.5 miles in 9.00 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run 1.5 miles in 9.30 or under. Walk mile, jog mile. Run 1.5 miles in 9.40 or under. Walk mile, jog mile.
                  Day 4 Rest
                  Day 5 Rest
                  Day 6 Run 3 miles in 20.00 or faster
                  Day 7 Rest

Give yourself a couple days of rest and you are ready to test. You should be able to run 2 miles in 12.00 or faster. Also test yourself on the 5 mile targeting 35.00 or faster and the 8 mile in 60.00 or faster.

NOTE: In terms of not meeting the standard, I don't know if you are supposed to repeat the day you didn't meet the standard on or the entire week. For example, if you can't meet the standard for Week 1 day 3 (3 miles in 22 min. or less). For me, if I couldn't meet the standard for any of the workouts, I stopped right there and waited until the beginning of the next week (Monday for me) to begin the whole week over again, that way you are refreshed and not too sore to begin again. This method may take you awhile, so it's really up to you how you do it. Other than that, DON'T CUT CORNERS, it'll be worth it! And don't neglect your push-up and sit-up improvement exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
                    Here is a running plan that I got into awhile ago:

9 weeks of running hell

Give yourself a couple days of rest and you are ready to test. You should be able to run 2 miles in 12.00 or faster. Also test yourself on the 5 mile targeting 35.00 or faster and the 8 mile in 60.00 or faster.

NOTE: In terms of not meeting the standard, I don't know if you are supposed to repeat the day you didn't meet the standard on or the entire week. For example, if you can't meet the standard for Week 1 day 3 (3 miles in 22 min. or less). For me, if I couldn't meet the standard for any of the workouts, I stopped right there and waited until the beginning of the next week (Monday for me) to begin the whole week over again, that way you are refreshed and not too sore to begin again. This method may take you awhile, so it's really up to you how you do it. Other than that, DON'T CUT CORNERS, it'll be worth it! And don't neglect your push-up and sit-up improvement exercises.
                    This is awesome! I like how you suggest to stop and refresh if you don't meet the standards. It's so easy to hurt yourself and get demotivated by pushing it too far to fast.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

That running plan is actually mine. I created that beast a few years ago and have been improving it ever since. I think I have given it out to about 50 people over just this forum alone, and yet I've only ever had ONE person give me any feed back.
                      Last edited by Explosive Hazard; October 24th, 2012, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
                        That running plan is actually mine. I created that beast a few years ago and have been improving it ever since. I think I have given it out to about 50 people over just this forum alone, and yet I've only ever had ONE person give me any feed back.
                        Sorry to omit the credit you're due, SSG. I don't have the email you sent me long ago and just luckily happened to save the running plan as soon as I got it.

Since I know whom the source is, what is your direction for not meeting the standard, for example: "If not all of the timed intervals meet the goal then repeat week one until each timed interval can be run in 3.00 or faster. This principal applies to every week." Do you repeat the whole week beginning with at the next day or just the portions you failed to meet the standard on? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X