Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to join, but I'm out of shape! Tips?

I'm 17, female, 5' 9", 130 lbs, but I'm pretty weak. I looked it up, and I have to be able to do at least 19 push-ups, 53 sit-ups, and run 2 miles in under 19 minutes in order to pass with a minimum score. Could someone please give me some diet and work-out tips to help build muscle? I'm not in a hurry, but I've never been an excercise nut. I really, really want to join but I know if i'm out of shape, I won't be able to. Please help

Re: I want to join, but I'm out of shape! Tips?

You can start out simple by just doing all 3 of those exercise regularly. You do not have to get into some complicated routine, make a home gym or purchase a set of workout DVDs to pass a PT test.

Comment

One other thing; What is the tape test? I have a pretty thin waist. :/

Comment

At 5'9 130 lbs you will not need to be taped. You already meet the standard. The tape test is for people OVER weight.

Check out the fitness section on nationalguard.com. Great activities to help you out. Here: http://www.nationalguard.com/life/fitness

Comment

Even if you aren't in shape you can still join. RSP will help you get into shape before you go to basic and basic will obviously work on that to.
          Last edited by robinpugs06; October 13th, 2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
            You can start out simple by just doing all 3 of those exercise regularly. You do not have to get into some complicated routine, make a home gym or purchase a set of workout DVDs to pass a PT test.
            This is good advice. A little extra work, and a small modification in your diet can benefit you greatly. Crawl-Walk-Run.

Comment

I agree with all the above posters. A word on muscle, you can add some weight lifting in with your workout routine. This will help you build up muscles as you start running more and burning calories. Eating more protein can also help with this.

Good luck!

Comment

The only way to get better at doing push ups, sit ups, and runing is to do push ups, sit ups, and run.......its not Rock Science.

Comment

Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
                  The only way to get better at doing push ups, sit ups, and runing is to do push ups, sit ups, and run.......its not Rock Science.
                  No it's not "rock science" it's ROCKET SCIENCE

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                    No it's not "rock science" it's ROCKET SCIENCE
                    Valid point. "Rock Science" = Geology, which will only help you get in shape if you are carrying heavy geology textbooks around with you everywhere you go.

The best advice for someone who is looking to increase PT performance & ability has already been covered in earlier responses, but I will reiterate anyway. Practice the actual events on a quasi-regular, then semi-regular, and finally a regular basis. Notch up the effort a little bit at a time. Add in some work with weight resistance for variety and added core strength. Adjust your diet to include more protein. Drink plenty of water to allow your muscles to stay hydrated during their working and repair/rebuild/recovery phases. If you don't give your body the proper food/fuel, it will greatly diminish the results you obtain from your exercise program.
                    Last edited by OldGuardGuy; October 22nd, 2012, 08:23 AM.

Comment

You don't need to worry dear. Just join a gym and you will find a personal trainer there. He will guide you in a good way. He will suggest you some basic exercises for a good body shape. I am sure that you can build your muscles with joining a gym.

Comment

you tube is your friend. Google is another good one. Start small set a goal but make that goal say 20 push ups and 20 sit ups and just do small amounts or what you can till you reach that goal then move up how many your total is. Trust me this works wonders but do them before bed. I used to choose 100 as my total and would do 20 each time then 25 etc till i could do all 100 at one time. Form first make sure you do a correct push up over how many you can do... if you do wrong push ups you do not help yourself and they do not count anyway. Remember you can do work outs while you watch TV or after a shower or if you have a little free time there is always time to do something. Plus and you must remember this important thing.. Stretching is your friend that or your muscles wont like you much.

Comment

Working...
                        X