X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Pressure at MEPS

Here is the story, I went to MEPS 3 weeks ago and went through the physical just fine except for the blood pressure test. They took it a few times and it was hovering just over the 140/90 line. I finished the physical and then met with doctors where they gave me a 3-day bp test that I was to get filled out and then submit when done. I then took my bp 3 consecutive days starting with the next day and all the results came out in the neighborhood of 120/70. I turned in my paperwork to my recruiter and he submitted it to the doctors at MEPS. However, it's been 3 weeks like I said and I'm starting to wonder how long this process takes. My recruiter and even the doctors at MEPS implied this wasn't a big deal and wouldn't cause me any problems, but my recruiter is still waiting on them for approval to bring me back. Anyone have any idea on the timeframe I'm up against?

Some back info on me.

I am 71" tall and weigh 175 lbs.

I do not have a history of high blood pressure.

I am extremely uncomfortable around doctors and always get nervous during bp tests. (This fell on deaf ears at MEPS)

Not a lot of history of high blood pressure in my family, however my dad's bp does the same as mine around doctors.

Didn't sleep well the night before MEPS.

Probably consume a tad too much caffeine on a regular basis.

Re: Blood Pressure at MEPS

White coat syndrome. Pretty common and not a deal breaker. No good reason other than that's the slow pace of government employment.

Comment

I've been there and done that. I went and saw my civilian doctor and he said I had no issues and he saw no reason to medicate me or recommend that I not be inducted into the service. All of my paperwork was submitted around October 2011 and I was requested by the CMO at my MEPS station to come see him in February 2012. He talked with me for a bit and checked my blood pressure and it was a tad high (I was still pretty nervous) and then he started talking to me on a more casual note. He was telling jokes and interesting side stories and then he tested me again when I was a little more at ease and I was right under the 140/90 mark. So he said that he felt my doctor was right and it was just white coat hypertension. He then had me hooked up to an EKG and after he looked over my results he said he saw no reason to deny me entry and would recommend me for a waiver. The waiver was submitted in late February and in March I found out it was approved.
      Last edited by TsuDeltaChi; October 13th, 2012, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Same situation. No news is good news. I got a waiver for it also. It takes as long as it takes.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I will just wait it out and keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            White coat syndrome. Pretty common and not a deal breaker. No good reason other than that's the slow pace of government employment.
            Yep, I had to pee real bad and it made my blood pressure go up. Plus the whole experience can be unnerving.

Comment

Cut out ALL Caffine! Drink Water.....you will be amazed what that will do with a little light exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
                Cut out ALL Caffine! Drink Water.....you will be amazed what that will do with a little light exercise.
                Good advice! By the way, OP, have you been back to MEPS yet?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                  Good advice! By the way, OP, have you been back to MEPS yet?
                  No, I have not yet been back to MEPS. I am still waiting on the authorization to return by the MEPS staff.

Comment

Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
                    Thanks for the tip! I had no idea how much caffeine can affect one's blood pressure until just researching it recently. I don't drink coffee ever but I have a serious soft spot for Dr. Pepper. However, I am cutting out all forms of caffeine and I will keep my exercise regimen the same and hope for the best.

Comment

Who could blame you for enjoying a frosty Dr. Pepper?

Comment

Tea is much better for your health than coffee and if you are having problems with high blood pressure avoid isometric exercises because those increase your blood pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                          Tea is much better for your health than coffee and if you are having problems with high blood pressure avoid isometric exercises because those increase your blood pressure.
                          Isometric exercises? lol That's awesome! Can you explain this, though, for those that might not know what this means?

Comment

Isometric exercise or isometrics are a type of strength training in which the joint angle and muscle length do not change during contraction (compared to concentric or eccentric contractions, called dynamic/isotonic movements). Isometrics are done in static positions, rather than being dynamic through a range of motion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_exercise

Happy to help and with all that being said for the record in my opinion the plank and the side plank are the only two isometric exercises worth doing with any real benefit!

Comment

Working...
                            X