Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Good Basic Weight Loss?

Hi.
    I'm kinda new to this entire thing, just starting looking into the National Guard since over here in Iowa,
    They have one. My current weight is around 280, I'm 18 years old. I've notice that I'm badly outta shape
    And I know you'll need to be fit to join the military, always been a goal of mine, I'm never going to be
    giving it up. But I'm just wondering if there is anything I should start off doing, I can..
    Run/Sit-ups/Push-ups (would need to put on Push-ups, since I struggle abit with it).
    Just going to spend all my time this year when I graduate this year, spend time on it..
    Then maybe next year then enlist on my 19th birthday.

Re: Any Good Basic Weight Loss?

Hello fellow Iowan. Getting into a basic exercise routine and cutting down severely on junk food and soda are simple things that can work wonders for people.

Feel free to PM me or post here if there is anything you want to know.

Comment

Good luck friend. It can be done. Last December I weighed 313 now I'm under 250. Just make sure you start out slow and as Steve said, cut out junk. I'd say 3/4th of losing weight is diet.

Comment

Yes it can be done! I have lost 78 pounds since last mid-September!
        Get your body moving - start off slow and increase the amount of time you work out. Cut out sugars and white flour - like white bread and white rice.Drink lots of water.
        Track everything you eat.
        Cut calories, move more!

Comment

Really very nice and simple tips you shared for weight loss

Comment

Good goal you have! The Military/National Guard is a great thing to do and will set you up for success! First begin with setting goals ie what weight and when. Write out and start a workout schedule that slowly increases. Another crucial step is good diet which means less fats, sugars, and sodium and more nutritious food and drinking LOTS of water. 64 ounces a day minimum and preferably a GALLON a day because that will shed water weight, keep you hydrated, and help flush your system of toxins. Easy way is just get a 32 ounce glass and drink four of them a day. I would start lifting weights and doing mild cardio if you’re not use to running. Most large people shy away from the weights and think that building muscle means gaining weight. However, that idea is false and weight lifting is just as vital as cardio. Weight lifting can speed up metabolism, build muscle, and more muscle and metabolism means more calories burned throughout the day; that is why weightlifters might consume 2x or more the average calories! I would start out walking or light jogging for a mile, and just increasing pace and distance. The ultimate goal should be passing the APFT with a 2 mile time of 15:54 because the guard rewards those who pass their respective age bracket's pt test with rank before basic training. I would focus on chest, arms, abs, and legs for your weight lifting. For example do a Chest and back day on Monday, Tuesday arms and shoulders, Wednesday rest, Thursday legs, and Friday abs. Also for your age you will need to do 47 pushups and 53 sit-ups in 2 minutes. I would do cardio 3 times a week on top of or instead of weight lifting if you prefer. If you hate running do not fret because you are not alone! A lot of people hate or hated running, but after a month or so you'll love it or won't hate it as much. Once your past the first few weeks or maybe even a month and running becomes easier start with running a 2 miler on Monday, 30/60 sprints (sprint 30 seconds, walk or jog 60) or 60/120's wed, and a distance run Friday. Try to keep your cardio sessions to at least 20 minutes because that is usually when you've done enough to be beneficial. For more fun on running i do 60/60 running which will smoke you lol. After a few weeks you should notice fat melting off of you. Also for the ultimate fat shedding try crossfit workouts and HIIT workouts. Good luck!

Comment

In my opinion regular exercise is important for weight lose. Try to do walk daily and also do running. These exercises are the basic exercises for weight lose. With these you can easily lose your weight.

Comment

Yeah Juan i appreciate for your hard work. For losing the weight you should ignore junk food and less eat as well. You are suggested that run a lot for your aim and i hope you will liable for this. One Motivational quote for you "Try and fail but never fail to try".

Comment

Avoid eating junk foods and drinking soda. It may be difficult at first, but it's worth the sacrifice. Begin eating healthy foods, that means more fruits and veggies and less of the processed foods. Regular exercise is a must too. Aside from these two things, you need to have the right attitude. Keep yourself motivated until you have reached your ideal weight. Don't give up easily.

Comment

I lost 45lbs on the South Beach Diet in about 6-8 months. It was essentially a diet change with very little added exercise. It was my wife's idea, and I think she helped prepare me for the barking DS's at basic whenever I would stray off the diet
                    You dont need a special "Fad Diet" to lose weight though. Just as everyone else has said, cut out the sugar and junk. I used to drink at least 40oz of Mountain Dew a day. Now its 80% water during the day. You may want to slowly taper off of the sugar...it can have some nasty side effects if you quit it cold-turkey!
                    As with any diet change, it wont always be easy. We were already a gluten-free household due to my wife being Celiac. Add to that my sugar cravings and all the new stuff I was not allowed to eat...not pretty sometimes!
                    Just use common sense. More fruits and veggies, fewer sugars and fats. Throw in some exercise and H2O hydrations, and you will notice a big change. Not only will you begin to lose the weight, but your body will feel so much better.

Comment

Working...
                    X