Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with a 300 APFT workout

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help with a 300 APFT workout

    My dream is to either get involved with the Air Assault School or Airborne school, in order to do this I was told I need a very high APFT score. I leave for BCT on June 26, 2013. I wanted to know if anybody could help me out with a workout program to achieve a perfect 300 on the APFT. Thanks a lot!

  • #2
    Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

    There's tons of information on here about how to get fit. Be sure to look around! The short answer to your question, however, is to just practice, eat healthily, and change up your workouts to keep your body from getting use to your routine.

    Good luck with your training!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

      Thanks a lot! I'll be sure to check out the fitness section!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

        Well do you want to go or do you want to be involved such as a black hat instructor at BAC. Becoming an instructor takes years of jumping and/or repelling as well as being an NCO which in certain units can take a while. I advise you to jump on BAC while in BCT and AIT since they basically ask people if they want to go then boom your on Trans to Georgia. Unless you’re in an Airborne unit or infantry unit going to BAC at your unit can be extremely difficult because they only a lot X amount of slots to each state. Besides that you’re usually in your best shape after AIT because some come home and hit the fatty cakes and couch. Air Assault is a lot easier to get into since they have AA schools everywhere and all it usually takes is a competitive PT score. For that Work on rucking because the 12 mile ruck in under 3 hours can doom a lot of people; even though the ruck is only 35 lbs it still sucks.

        Anyway on the 300 APFT i would run Mon-Wed-Fri, and every Monday every other week time your 2 Mile run until it meets the 13:00 min mark (assuming you are under 22). The best thing to decrease apft time is HIIT workout which is basically sprints for 20 minutes or so, which you will do in BCT in the form of 30/60's then 60/120's. Do those once a week so Mon train for 2 miler, Wed 60/120's, Fri distance run like 5 miles. For situps just do situps and practice form; the cardio will improve these as well. Pushups are debatable but just doing regular pushups (properly) is the foremost method of maxing the score. Personally I do that cardio schedule then workout body/arms which will drastically improve pushups and by the time my workout is done i can do 3 pushups max. I wouldn't worry about bct physically since it's designed to average joes and make them fit so it stats off slow and ends half way slow lol. Only once or twice was i ever "smoked" during a run and i hated running and had a diagnostic 2 mile time of 17:30 LOL. Saturday and Sunday will be rest days and rest is MORE vital than the actual workout and the same with stretching. Good luck and if you go to Airborne make sure you get Wings tatted on before you leave for BAC; it will let the cadre know you are high speed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

          Thanks for all the information! Does anybody know what kind of PT scores are needed to be considered for Airborne or Air Assault?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

            Originally posted by Bcutberth View Post
            Thanks for all the information! Does anybody know what kind of PT scores are needed to be considered for Airborne or Air Assault?
            I believe it's a 60% in each event.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

              That seems a little low. Don't you think?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

                Originally posted by Bcutberth View Post
                That seems a little low. Don't you think?
                Most units like to send soldiers who have 270+ on their PT score. Anything below 240 is considered "below average" but it's still passing the standards. The PT test is not what you should worry about, it's the guerilla drills, shuffles, and marches that will get you.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

                  Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                  Most units like to send soldiers who have 270+ on their PT score. Anything below 240 is considered "below average" but it's still passing the standards. The PT test is not what you should worry about, it's the guerilla drills, shuffles, and marches that will get you.
                  Why are those things so difficult?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

                    Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                    Most units like to send soldiers who have 270+ on their PT score. Anything below 240 is considered "below average" but it's still passing the standards. The PT test is not what you should worry about, it's the guerilla drills, shuffles, and marches that will get you.
                    +1.

                    Scoring 300 on the APFT will get you noticed by the unit and maybe put you up high on the OML list but a 300 will not guarantee success at AAS. During the first day(day zero) of AAS we lost A LOT of people(nearly all females) due to the obstacle course. I can't tell you how many people showed up to AAS without every having climbed a 30ft rope. Unless you have a strong upper body with good muscular endurance(25+pull up kind of guy) you are not going to muscle your way up using just your arms. You have to use your legs and to do this takes a little bit of practice.

                    The ruck march also claimed a handfull of people. 12 miles in less then 3 hours with a 35lb ruck, rifle and LBV. Honestly, the ruck was probably only 30lbs. The only thing that I found difficult about the 12 mile ruck was that we did it 5 days after a 6 mile ruck with plenty of hills. I ruck plenty on my own but I always give myself a minimum of 7 days rest between ruck marches, so the smaller rest time followed by a long ruck gave me bad blisters and muscle cramps. But beyond that it was easy.

                    300 APFT is a great goal and it has a very positive impact on your career. Depending on the physical shape you are in right now you could easily get a 300 by June. I recommend interval training for the run and run longer then 2 miles as part of your training too.

                    Even if you score 300 don't expect to get offered a slot for AAS or Airborne right after AIT or when you get to your unit. I scored 300 at AIT and I was laughed at when I asked about getting a spot by my drill instructors and again at my unit. It wasn't until I re-enlisted 6 years later that I finally got to go. Moral of the story don't expect to get the chance but even if you are denied STAY IN SHAPE that way if the opportunity pops up sporadically you will be ready.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

                      Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                      +1.

                      Scoring 300 on the APFT will get you noticed by the unit and maybe put you up high on the OML list but a 300 will not guarantee success at AAS. During the first day(day zero) of AAS we lost A LOT of people(nearly all females) due to the obstacle course. I can't tell you how many people showed up to AAS without every having climbed a 30ft rope. Unless you have a strong upper body with good muscular endurance(25+pull up kind of guy) you are not going to muscle your way up using just your arms. You have to use your legs and to do this takes a little bit of practice.

                      The ruck march also claimed a handfull of people. 12 miles in less then 3 hours with a 35lb ruck, rifle and LBV. Honestly, the ruck was probably only 30lbs. The only thing that I found difficult about the 12 mile ruck was that we did it 5 days after a 6 mile ruck with plenty of hills. I ruck plenty on my own but I always give myself a minimum of 7 days rest between ruck marches, so the smaller rest time followed by a long ruck gave me bad blisters and muscle cramps. But beyond that it was easy.

                      300 APFT is a great goal and it has a very positive impact on your career. Depending on the physical shape you are in right now you could easily get a 300 by June. I recommend interval training for the run and run longer then 2 miles as part of your training too.

                      Even if you score 300 don't expect to get offered a slot for AAS or Airborne right after AIT or when you get to your unit. I scored 300 at AIT and I was laughed at when I asked about getting a spot by my drill instructors and again at my unit. It wasn't until I re-enlisted 6 years later that I finally got to go. Moral of the story don't expect to get the chance but even if you are denied STAY IN SHAPE that way if the opportunity pops up sporadically you will be ready.
                      Thanks for all the information. Currently I'm only 17 and I don't go to basic until June. My scores right now are... Push-ups;42,sit-ups; 78, and two mile run; 14:20. I think I could improve a lot before I ship out. Could you tell me what a high APFT score can get me?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

                        Perhaps the Guard has different requirements when it comes to establishing an OML for air assault school but I want you to know that I went to air assault school at the ripe old age at 38 when I was stationed at Fort Campbell. My PT was not 300 but between the 260-274 range.

                        Just worry about passing it. Just continue to work out and improve. Do not kill yourself.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

                          SSGT Juggernaunt is spot on and whether its good or bad PT in the Army is what gets you noticed. Everyone who gets promoted in BCT and AIT are typically the PT studs and people who shoot expert. Also for Air Assault attention to detail is extremely critical. Some people fail just because they forgot a piece of TA-50 or it was dirty. Heed my advice and make sure you don't leave TRADOC without wings unless you plan on going to an Airborne unit or a state with extra slots. I would call up your future unit S3 and ask if they ever get BAC slots. I may be biased since MO Guard has few to no BAC slots. I would focus on BAC for now and Air Assault later since it can be taught anywhere (Iraq even had a temporary Air Assault course) so all it takes is a little motivation and a 4187 and you should be reserved a slot for AASLT at your regular unit.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Help with a 300 APFT workout

                            Originally posted by That_Guy View Post
                            so all it takes is a little motivation and a 4187 and you should be reserved a slot for AASLT at your regular unit.
                            Its not that easy lol! My RNCO had to fight hard to get me into AAS, and it was part of my re-enlistment contract! Out of the handfull of people from my state who re-upped under the AAS incentive I was the ONLY one who actually got to go, everyone else had their reservations cancelled. It all comes down to funding, how much your COC is willing to fight for you to get and keep a slot and how much weight the COC has to throw around. For persepective, I had an O-5 fighting with state training for two years to get me into Sapper Leader Course. In the end the LTC couldn't win the fight, no matter how well he could justify it. And just recently my unit was allotted a handfull of EOCA(explosive ordnance Clearance Agent) slots for our upcoming deployment. All cancelled at the last minute. No funding we are told, and that class is necessary for a route clearance mission.

                            Moral of the story, always do your best because you never know when/if that opportunity will spring up. The second you let yourself slip will be the one time the opportunity passes you up. What does a high APFT score get you? A good amount of promotion points on the NCO boards and recognition(hopefully) which can lead to awards.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X