X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibram Five Fingers, minimalist runner

I completed the Path to Honor and I'm just waiting for the background check.

I've been running in Vibram Five Fingers, minimalist running, for awhile now and I was wondering if I should switch to running in "normal" running shoes. I've gotten pretty bad shin splints with normal running shoes and with VFF I've never gotten shin splints.

Sorry, I should of added more information. Should I switch to normal running shoes to get ready to run in combat boots for boot camp?
    Last edited by RKalaw; September 24th, 2012, 01:05 PM.

Re: Vibram Five Fingers, minimalist runner

You won't have to run in boots, however VFF are not authorized for wear while in uniform or while on duty.

Comment

Your best bet is to get another pair of minimalist shoes.

Comment

I'm also an avid VFF runner. I had the same idea as you. At first I bought a pair of minimalist New Balance to start off. Then I moved to a lightweight shoe, not necessarily minimalist. I won't lie, I did run into some shin splints at first, but it was just in the beginning when relearning how to run in normal shoes. I'm running now in a pair of Sambas which I know aren't running shoes, but I'm not having any problems. Good luck to you, I know how bad it sucks having to give up the VFFs.

Comment

I use the NB Minimus and also run in VFF. I also like Merrell Trail Gloves.

Comment

My first 1SG used to say "shin splints are a common medical disorder where the muscles in the leg are separated form the vagina bone".

When I first joined the army I had a big problem with them, however after a few months of running every day or so, they went away. Toe shoes are not authorized in the army.

Comment

Switch to normal running shoes but get a good custom insole for your shoe. Do a search for your local area and I'm sure you find a running shoe store that makes custom insoles. I run a lot of miles every week and during marathon season I typically battle shin splints. Once I went to custom insoles my shin splints and knee pains went away. Its also important to select the right kind of shoe for your particular foot as everyone pronates differently. A good running shoe store should have people that can help you choose the right shoe and in many cases they stick you on a treadmil and video record your running form and the way your foot behaves. Then they make recommendations from there.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                You won't have to run in boots, however VFF are not authorized for wear while in uniform or while on duty.
                The Op won't have to run in boots for PT, but you can they'll be running in those boots every day. We ran everywhere at BCT just about. It wouldn't hurt to do a little training that way to get your feet used to that, otherwise you'll get tore up feet like a lot of people do in those issue boots.

But yes, minimalist shoes aren't allowed. I'd say switch to normal running shoes now so there's less of a learning curve for your body. They're going to make you buy a pair at BCT anyway, so whatever you come with will likely be locked up. They'll do the whole foot type test (Cushioning [high arch], Stability [normal arch], Motion Control [flat foot]) and give you a few options for that. Mostly what you end up with are some Asics, NB, and Brooks or whatever your little PX there happens to have left.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                  The Op won't have to run in boots for PT, but you can they'll be running in those boots every day. We ran everywhere at BCT just about. It wouldn't hurt to do a little training that way to get your feet used to that, otherwise you'll get tore up feet like a lot of people do in those issue boots.

But yes, minimalist shoes aren't allowed. I'd say switch to normal running shoes now so there's less of a learning curve for your body. They're going to make you buy a pair at BCT anyway, so whatever you come with will likely be locked up. They'll do the whole foot type test (Cushioning [high arch], Stability [normal arch], Motion Control [flat foot]) and give you a few options for that. Mostly what you end up with are some Asics, NB, and Brooks or whatever your little PX there happens to have left.
                  Thats not true. You talking about BCT, RSP, your Unit, what? I was told if they are in serviceable condition and are not toe style, they are within regs.

Comment

Originally posted by SpcSlimDizzle View Post
                    Thats not true. You talking about BCT, RSP, your Unit, what? I was told if they are in serviceable condition and are not toe style, they are within regs.
                    Things may have changed recently. 9 years ago when I went to BCT they made me lock up my Nike running shoes. Didn't want anyone to have anything stylish.

Comment

Originally posted by SpcSlimDizzle View Post
                      I was told if they are in serviceable condition and are not toe style, they are within regs.
                      At the unit, yes they are within regs. AT BT they aren't allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                        At the unit, yes they are within regs. AT BT they aren't allowed.
                        Fair enough.

Comment

At reception your feet will be inspected by a DS (who typically will make funny comments about peoples feet) and he will say 3 colors for normal feet, high arch, and flat feet. Then you will enter the shopette where you will buy some running shoes. They usually carry brooks and asic's running shoes. Your civilian shoes will be locked up in a duffle bag which you will purchase at the shopette. Some Drill Sergeants may allow you to use your civilian running shoes if they are conservative because PT is usually the sign of a "motivated PT" and your DS will do anything to improve your 2 mile times. Our DS about 3/4 allowed us to go to clothing and sales to purchase ASU items, and some bought new running shoes. Some families mailed fellow trainee's shoes if the DS allowed it. Anyway I say get in best shape now and go to a sports shoe store and some have personnel and equipment which can help ID your foot type, and then help you find the right shoe. Typically people are under/over pronator's or neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by ack202 View Post
                            My first 1SG used to say "shin splints are a common medical disorder where the muscles in the leg are separated form the vagina bone".

When I first joined the army I had a big problem with them, however after a few months of running every day or so, they went away. Toe shoes are not authorized in the army.
                            Old school!! lol

Comment

Working...
                            X