Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good upper body strength but weak abs and legs?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good upper body strength but weak abs and legs?

Hi I was wondering if anyone was once in my situation. I can crank out 71 pushups in well under 2 minutes (which by the way, I was wondering it was frowned upon to stop at 71) but I need over 2 minutes sometimes to get the minimum 53 situps and I am barely making the minimum for the 2 mile run (my average is around 15:30). I feel that I haven't been training situps and running correctly. I usually do 3 sets of situps to failure with one minute rests in between sets 3 times a week and I do timed 2 mile runs 2-3 times a week. What are some of your workout routines? Thanks

Re: Good upper body strength but weak abs and legs?

There's some videos on the National Guard fitness page that shows what a proper sit-up should look like. Here's a direct link: Fitness

With your run, it sounds like you need to change up your routine. Try running longer distances, then speeding it up once you get comfortable with that. Make sure to switch it up, too. You're body will get use to a running routine pretty quickly. Add in some weight lifting, stretching, and flexibility training, and you're likely to see a nice improvement there.

Comment

The way to improve it to simply do more in a weakened area. Vary up exercises that work on your core (e.g. situps with hands behind the head; in front of your chest). Do more incline situps and do more during the day. Meaning, before you go to be, knock out 80 situps but do them slow and at your pace. If you need to rest; then that is fine. But just do 80. You keep doing that; you will definitely see an improvement.

Same with running. Just work on distance and endurance. Take it slow. Walk/run if you have to. Drink lots of water, protein, energy shakes and bars.

There are few that are studs in every event but if you stay consistent and focused; you can achieve that goal.

Comment

RyCass and fmcityslicker thanks for the insight. I'll be sure to try them out. This is off topic but I am around 5 pounds over the weight limit for my height (5'8). Do I have to make weight before I enlist?

Comment

Originally posted by wisconsin View Post
          RyCass and fmcityslicker thanks for the insight. I'll be sure to try them out. This is off topic but I am around 5 pounds over the weight limit for my height (5'8). Do I have to make weight before I enlist?
          You must either make weight or tape before you can enlist. Your recruiter can tape you or tell you what measurements you need for your age and height.

As for sit ups I improved mine by starting the program in the Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook. It sounds like a silly title, but the book is full of information to prepare you for BCT and also has a fitness routine geared to improve your APFT score. After a few weeks on this program I can now crank 75 situps in 2 minutes (and I'm a female). It works! Good luck!

Comment

hi,can you give us more info of program in the Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook you just mentioned?thanks.i have tried to google it but without result

Comment

Originally posted by wisconsin View Post
              Hi I was wondering if anyone was once in my situation. I can crank out 71 pushups in well under 2 minutes (which by the way, I was wondering it was frowned upon to stop at 71) but I need over 2 minutes sometimes to get the minimum 53 situps and I am barely making the minimum for the 2 mile run (my average is around 15:30). I feel that I haven't been training situps and running correctly. I usually do 3 sets of situps to failure with one minute rests in between sets 3 times a week and I do timed 2 mile runs 2-3 times a week. What are some of your workout routines? Thanks
              The majority of people that I have see struggle with situps; their problems lied within poor form and not so much ab strength. Pin your chin to your chest and do not move it for 2 minutes. BOUNCE off the ground only touching the very bottom of your shoulder blade....tighten your form and you do well.

Comment

Remember situps really aren't an ab exercise but a lower back and hip flexor exercise. So my advice would be to also work those areas because those are what really cause the situp to work.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesflamenco View Post
                  hi,can you give us more info of program in the Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook you just mentioned?thanks.i have tried to google it but without result
                  I apologize in advance if I'm not supposed to link to things. Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook

Author is SGT Michael Volkin...I'm really surprised you couldn't find it with Google...

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                    Remember situps really aren't an ab exercise but a lower back and hip flexor exercise. So my advice would be to also work those areas because those are what really cause the situp to work.
                    Stretching these areas helps out as well.

Comment

thanks man,just got it,when googling ,there are too many different results that makes me confused,as i just want the real one

Comment

Try running longer distances, then speeding it up once you get comfortable with that. Make sure to switch it up, too. You're body will get use to a running routine pretty quickly.

Comment

Working...
                        X