Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Blood Pressure

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • High Blood Pressure

    Im due to go to MEPS monday to take my physical and get sworn in. One thing is just bothering me and im worried about. I got a physical for school about 1 month ago and I had high blood pressure. It was about 140 over 80. I had no idea why it was high and still do not. I have checked it regularly and it still reads High. Im only 21 years old and as healthy as an ox. I do not know why it reads so high. Im worried that MEPS will disqualify me for it. If they do, what happens next? Do I have another shot at joining or what?

  • #2
    Re: High Blood Pressure

    I'm going to bombard you with questions about your condition first so bear with me:

    Is this the first time you've had consistently high blood pressure?
    Is there a family history of hypertension?
    Have you seen your primary care doctor about it?
    Does getting your blood pressure taken make you nervous or jittery?
    What's your height and weight?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: High Blood Pressure

      Originally posted by gheart68w View Post
      I'm going to bombard you with questions about your condition first so bear with me:

      Is this the first time you've had consistently high blood pressure?
      Is there a family history of hypertension?
      Have you seen your primary care doctor about it?
      Does getting your blood pressure taken make you nervous or jittery?
      What's your height and weight?
      -Yes
      -Just asked my parents, they both said no
      -Not yet
      -I dont think so
      -Im 5'9" 148 pounds and in good shape
      I honestly have no idea why it is high. What happens if its high at MEPS? What do I do then?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: High Blood Pressure

        Originally posted by Schmitt444 View Post
        -Yes
        -Just asked my parents, they both said no
        -Not yet
        -I dont think so
        -Im 5'9" 148 pounds and in good shape
        I honestly have no idea why it is high. What happens if its high at MEPS? What do I do then?
        What are you doing right before you check your blood pressure? You should be sitting, at rest, for 5 minutes before you check it. Your blood pressure, while high, is not so high as would prompt a doctor to prescribe medication or request for testing. They would likely recommend a lifestyle change. So, the likely culprit is: a lack of exercise, recent unhealthy change in diet, and/or a major life event (good or bad) that is causing stress. Keep in mind that a lack of sleep will also affect your blood pressure, so make sure you're getting enough!

        Ultimately, if you are concerned about your healthy, you should always refer to a physician.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: High Blood Pressure

          Do you drink a lot of caffeinated beverages - coffee, energy drinks?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: High Blood Pressure

            Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
            Do you drink a lot of caffeinated beverages - coffee, energy drinks?
            I second this question. Caffeine makes your blood pressure shoot up. You're right on the border line of prehypertension and actual hypertension with a reading like that. The reason why I asked for your family history is because sometimes high blood pressure is just genetic. You might be in the correct weight and be healthy but you just get it anyways. Other reasons include: poor diet (you can be at an ideal weight and still eat like crap), high sodium intake, smoking (do you smoke?), drinking frequently, and not exercising enough.

            If any of these apply to you I would hold off on going to MEPs until you can get this under control. If you have a reading like this at MEPs they will take 2 more readings and get an average of them. If you consistently read at 140/90 or higher you will be DQed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: High Blood Pressure

              Originally posted by gheart68w View Post
              I second this question. Caffeine makes your blood pressure shoot up. You're right on the border line of prehypertension and actual hypertension with a reading like that. The reason why I asked for your family history is because sometimes high blood pressure is just genetic. You might be in the correct weight and be healthy but you just get it anyways. Other reasons include: poor diet (you can be at an ideal weight and still eat like crap), high sodium intake, smoking (do you smoke?), drinking frequently, and not exercising enough.

              If any of these apply to you I would hold off on going to MEPs until you can get this under control. If you have a reading like this at MEPs they will take 2 more readings and get an average of them. If you consistently read at 140/90 or higher you will be DQed.

              When I was wa MEPS my blood pressure was high as well due to the fact that I was so nervous. They took my blood pressure three times over the course of the time that I was in medical until I calmed down and they got a normal reading.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: High Blood Pressure

                I'll give you my story of my MEPS experience that might settle your nerves (as well as your BP). I had a physical about 2 months before MEPS and I tested high as well. I too am very fit, eat very well, and do not smoke. I was a little shocked. More than anything I started stressing over it. I went and bought my own BP monitor so I could keep track of it myself. I spent those two months freaking out that I would get DQ'd. So I finally get to MEPS and breeze through everything until I sit down to take my BP. Shocker... it reads very high. I'm ready to get a big stamp that says DQ and sent on my way. Instead they don't even flinch. They move me on to the next line to comlete everything. They just say I'll retest later on once I can relax a little. When I come back after finishing everything the nurse checks me out the first time and says it is better, but not quite where she wants it. She changes arms, cracks some jokes, and has me change the position of my arm. Wouldn't you know the next two readings are stellar and she signs me off as if it is no big deal.

                Moral of my story- don't stress over it. If you have high blood pressure that requires medication, then it probably isn't meant be. But if it is slightly elevated because of stress they will get you through it.

                Again just my 2 cents.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: High Blood Pressure

                  Moral of my story- don't stress over it. If you have high blood pressure that requires medication, then it probably isn't meant be. But if it is slightly elevated because of stress they will get you through it.
                  Well said! Good advice, indeed!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: High Blood Pressure

                    I didn't mean to terrify, just inform. That's why I asked if getting it taken made him nervous. It makes me anxious because I hate the feeling of my pulse thumping. A male got DQed for it while I was there...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: High Blood Pressure

                      Originally posted by gheart68w View Post
                      I didn't mean to terrify, just inform. That's why I asked if getting it taken made him nervous. It makes me anxious because I hate the feeling of my pulse thumping. A male got DQed for it while I was there...
                      If they DQ me over it, will it be for good? Or will i be able to get it down and try in afew weeks or so?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: High Blood Pressure

                        Originally posted by Schmitt444 View Post
                        If they DQ me over it, will it be for good? Or will i be able to get it down and try in afew weeks or so?
                        i had the same problem when i went to meps, high bp runs in my family, i was good on all of them but the last test my top number was 144 so all i had to do was wait for a waver, i went back to meps the following week they didnt even check my bp just gave me a contract, so you should be fine you might have to wait for a waiver but they should let you in

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: High Blood Pressure

                          Originally posted by dalich View Post
                          i had the same problem when i went to meps, high bp runs in my family, i was good on all of them but the last test my top number was 144 so all i had to do was wait for a waver, i went back to meps the following week they didnt even check my bp just gave me a contract, so you should be fine you might have to wait for a waiver but they should let you in
                          I Hope I can get a waiver if need be. I checked my BP last night and it was around 135-140. I hope I can just stay cool and pass it. I go to MEPS monday morning. Wish me luck and i wil let you guys know how i do!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: High Blood Pressure

                            Originally posted by Schmitt444 View Post
                            If they DQ me over it, will it be for good? Or will i be able to get it down and try in afew weeks or so?
                            You should get a second reading, at least. You're supposed to check it multiple times, at the same time, and after the same activity for a reading to be truly accurate.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: High Blood Pressure

                              Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                              You should get a second reading, at least. You're supposed to check it multiple times, at the same time, and after the same activity for a reading to be truly accurate.
                              I passed!!!! My first reading was off the charts. I managed to relaxed and about an hour later they retested me. I was 140/88. When I saw the numbers I was so freaken afraid because of the 140 but the doc. said that I was good to go! If my second number was 2 digits higher I would have failed! Thank you god! I ship out May 20th 2013!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X