X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An uphill battle.

My name is Ray, and for about 7 months I've been trying as hard as possible to lose weight to either pass the weight or tape test requirements to enlist. Due to being a full time student and a full time worker, it is very hard to squeeze in time each day to prepare the next days diet foods. Not to say I haven't been eating healthy. I eat a wide array of vegetables and fruits, try to stay away from carbs and red meats. I take men's pack multivitamins daily, and weight lift, and get at least 30 minutes of intense cardio a day aside from walking a warehouse all day at work. My starting weight was 327, and I am now down to 239. I've come a long way, but with each pound it gets that much harder. My real question is, what foods or easy to prepare the night before diets would you all recommend, or what exercises could benefit me in my quest to drop these pounds. Oh, and my height is 6' 2". I appreciate any and all input, and will take it to heart. Thank you in advance everyone.

Re: An uphill battle.

1st, congrats on such an impressive weight loss, that is incredible! You are very close, depending on your age. Have you spoke to a recruiter about being taped to see how close you are to the allowable body fat % to enlist? I would highly recommend that you do so, based on what you have stated here.

Comment

Congratulations on your progress. I have lost 70 lbs myself so I know how hard it was for you and I also know that the closer you get to your goal the more difficult it becomes to lose- I am struggling with this right now too! Just keep at it and I am sure you will get some great advice on here - I know I have!
      Robin
      Last edited by robinpugs06; August 7th, 2012, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by B.Wood View Post
        1st, congrats on such an impressive weight loss, that is incredible! You are very close, depending on your age. Have you spoke to a recruiter about being taped to see how close you are to the allowable body fat % to enlist? I would highly recommend that you do so, based on what you have stated here.
        The last I had been to a recruiter, I weighed about 250, and needed to drop 6 percent body fat. Now that the standard dropped 2 percent, it would be 8, although I'm sure I lost some. I honestly have been debating whether I should wait a little extra time once I tape in before enlisting just because I'm terrible with pushups. I can crank out 12 on a good day. I can do sit ups all day long as abs have been an everyday workout the whole time. I've been doing assisted dips and pushups, and lifting heavier chest, but it hasn't improved drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by FsAxis92 View Post
          My starting weight was 327, and I am now down to 239.
          Holly smokes, that's awesome.

Comment

The last I had been to a recruiter, I weighed about 250, and needed to drop 6 percent body fat. Now that the standard dropped 2 percent, it would be 8, although I'm sure I lost some. I honestly have been debating whether I should wait a little extra time once I tape in before enlisting just because I'm terrible with pushups. I can crank out 12 on a good day. I can do sit ups all day long as abs have been an everyday workout the whole time. I've been doing assisted dips and pushups, and lifting heavier chest, but it hasn't improved drastically.
            You most likely won't ship right away anyway. And, you will get much better at push-ups in basic - haha :-)

Comment

Congrats man, that is really an amazing feat!

I've mentioned this on here before but I'd like to recommend to you Bikram Yoga. I know that yoga isn't for everyone, but I've worked in the health professions for 5+ years now and I do believe yoga to be the secret to a long and healthy life. For me, I gravitate to Bikram because it was a challenge and I saw results more than anything else. Since its in a heated room, its like working out in a sauna...the heat can take some getting used to, but if you even just go to class and sit on your mat the whole time and not leave the room that is seriously an accomplishment. You will get a great cardio workout along with the strength and the stretching all in one. And for me personally, I have never had another exercise regimen chance my body structure like Bikram yoga. By that I mean, fat loss...toning. I run 3 days a week now, plus do crossfit or Insanity and none of those workouts have melted fat off my body faster than Bikram Yoga. If there is a studio near you check it out...most do a 2 week unlimited pass for around $20...its a cheap way to try it. Give yourself 4-6 classes before you decide yay or nay on it. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
                Congrats man, that is really an amazing feat!

I've mentioned this on here before but I'd like to recommend to you Bikram Yoga. I know that yoga isn't for everyone, but I've worked in the health professions for 5+ years now and I do believe yoga to be the secret to a long and healthy life. For me, I gravitate to Bikram because it was a challenge and I saw results more than anything else. Since its in a heated room, its like working out in a sauna...the heat can take some getting used to, but if you even just go to class and sit on your mat the whole time and not leave the room that is seriously an accomplishment. You will get a great cardio workout along with the strength and the stretching all in one. And for me personally, I have never had another exercise regimen chance my body structure like Bikram yoga. By that I mean, fat loss...toning. I run 3 days a week now, plus do crossfit or Insanity and none of those workouts have melted fat off my body faster than Bikram Yoga. If there is a studio near you check it out...most do a 2 week unlimited pass for around $20...its a cheap way to try it. Give yourself 4-6 classes before you decide yay or nay on it. Good luck!
                A quick search didn't find anything, but if I come across something I'd be glad to give it a swing! I really appreciate the complements and suggestions guys. I've wanted to be in uniform since I could say Army.

Comment

My name is Ray, and for about 7 months I've been trying as hard as possible to lose weight to either pass the weight or tape test requirements to enlist. Due to being a full time student and a full time worker, it is very hard to squeeze in time each day to prepare the next days diet foods. Not to say I haven't been eating healthy. I eat a wide array of vegetables and fruits, try to stay away from carbs and red meats. I take men's pack multivitamins daily, and weight lift, and get at least 30 minutes of intense cardio a day aside from walking a warehouse all day at work. My starting weight was 327, and I am now down to 239. I've come a long way, but with each pound it gets that much harder. My real question is, what foods or easy to prepare the night before diets would you all recommend, or what exercises could benefit me in my quest to drop these pounds. Oh, and my height is 6' 2". I appreciate any and all input, and will take it to heart. Thank you in advance everyone.
                  If you're looking for quick prep foods, I would recommend trying to prepare your meals a week ahead of time, instead of daily. As a busy student, utilize things such as a crock pot and the freezer. For example, make up some pulled BBQ chicken in the crock pot on the weekend and have BBQ sandwiches for lunch or dinner. Use a low-sodium, no high fructose corn syrup brand of sauce, whole wheat bread and add a can of low-sodium V8 and you've got a meal that will be MUCH healthier than fast foods and is easy to bring with you/prepare. Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches are good for lunch providing you use no sugar added jelly and all natural peanut butter. Try salads, too! You can cut all your veggies a week ahead of time, add some boiled eggs, shredded chicken, and/or peanuts for protein, low fat cheese for some calcium, and use spinach or dark leafy greens for the salad. You can find vinegar based dressings that have healthy fats in them, and you've got another easy meal that will help you maintain a healthy diet. Lastly, be sure to eat smaller and more frequent meals during the day. If all you have time for is snacks, try carrying things that are high in fiber or protein. These are the items that will help fill you up while giving your body the energy it needs to work hard for you.

Hope this helps! Congratulations on all your hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                    If you're looking for quick prep foods, I would recommend trying to prepare your meals a week ahead of time, instead of daily. As a busy student, utilize things such as a crock pot and the freezer. For example, make up some pulled BBQ chicken in the crock pot on the weekend and have BBQ sandwiches for lunch or dinner. Use a low-sodium, no high fructose corn syrup brand of sauce, whole wheat bread and add a can of low-sodium V8 and you've got a meal that will be MUCH healthier than fast foods and is easy to bring with you/prepare. Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches are good for lunch providing you use no sugar added jelly and all natural peanut butter. Try salads, too! You can cut all your veggies a week ahead of time, add some boiled eggs, shredded chicken, and/or peanuts for protein, low fat cheese for some calcium, and use spinach or dark leafy greens for the salad. You can find vinegar based dressings that have healthy fats in them, and you've got another easy meal that will help you maintain a healthy diet. Lastly, be sure to eat smaller and more frequent meals during the day. If all you have time for is snacks, try carrying things that are high in fiber or protein. These are the items that will help fill you up while giving your body the energy it needs to work hard for you.

Hope this helps! Congratulations on all your hard work!
                    Thank you and I'll give the above a try! Another concern, although not in the right section, is a previous misdemeanor. I was with a friend, and he had a large amount of money and marijuana. Everyone in the car was given a trafficking charge, although in court mine was dropped to a possession misdemeanor. I was told that the Army was not processing drug related misdemeanor applicants as of this time, although the Guard recruiter said he would work with me. Anyone able to shed some light and or answer questions would be much appreciated as no one I've talked to can give me a straight answer. Is it a good idea to put in for the waivers now pre-expungement or would have the waivers disapproved permanently dq me? Again, any input appreciated.

Comment

Toss a chicken with some chopped vegetables (and enough water to cover the base of the stone) into a slow cooker and you've got two or three solid high protein meals. Save the stock! You can also do this with chicken breasts/thighs if you're lazy - toss the meat in the slow cooker, cover it (barely) with water or cheap salsa, low for 8 hours and it'll be ready when you get home. Tons of great chili recipes out there, too. No need to be reheating meals all week, with some planning and a few minutes of prep in the morning you can have dinner ready the instant you get back from work.

Comment

Thank you and I'll give the above a try! Another concern, although not in the right section, is a previous misdemeanor. I was with a friend, and he had a large amount of money and marijuana. Everyone in the car was given a trafficking charge, although in court mine was dropped to a possession misdemeanor. I was told that the Army was not processing drug related misdemeanor applicants as of this time, although the Guard recruiter said he would work with me. Anyone able to shed some light and or answer questions would be much appreciated as no one I've talked to can give me a straight answer. Is it a good idea to put in for the waivers now pre-expungement or would have the waivers disapproved permanently dq me? Again, any input appreciated.
                        Did you inform your recruiter about this misdemeanor? Or did it happen recently?

Comment

Originally posted by B.Wood View Post
                          Did you inform your recruiter about this misdemeanor? Or did it happen recently?
                          I've spoken with several recruiters, and been told different things by all of them.

Comment

I've spoken with several recruiters, and been told different things by all of them.
                            A conviction of Possession of Marijuana is considered a level 300 Misdemeanor. Generally, with only 1 offense, you would qualify for a waiver (see AR 601-210, 4-6a). However, there are many states that are not authorizing any conduct waivers no matter the severity. If you happen to live in one of these states, then you are out of luck. The best thing you can do is work closely with your recruiter. They will be able to tell you what options you may have.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                              A conviction of Possession of Marijuana is considered a level 300 Misdemeanor. Generally, with only 1 offense, you would qualify for a waiver (see AR 601-210, 4-6a). However, there are many states that are not authorizing any conduct waivers no matter the severity. If you happen to live in one of these states, then you are out of luck. The best thing you can do is work closely with your recruiter. They will be able to tell you what options you may have.
                              I'm out of Kentucky. I have no idea how to tell if they do or not, because I've been told yes and no. The policy on zero tolerance seems to come and go. So at the worst it would just take waiting. This truly is my main goal in life, and I won't stop trying. Thank you all for all the input, it's greatly appreciated and if anyone can drop some knowledge, it'd be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X