X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Shoes

Trying to decided whether or not to fork out $110 for some Brooks running shoes. I have flat feet and have been having some issues with my ankles and knees after my runs. I don't ship out to basic for several more months, which means a lot of running between now and then. I know I'll be issued a pair of running shoes at BCT, so I can't decide whether or not its worth it to fork out the cash now, knowing that I may be issued the same shoes when I get there. But I don't want to risk injury between now and when I leave if I keep using the shoes I have now which have virtually no arch support at all. I wen't to my local Fleet Feet store and they recommended the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12.

Also curious as to whether or not anyone has tried the Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit inserts.

Re: Running Shoes

Running shoes don't last very long, if you have several months till you ship to basic then get a new pair now. I have to get new running shoes every 3-4 months. Some people can go longer depending on how many miles they run per week. Custom insoles are the ****! I have custom ones that were made at a running shoe store near me(Road Runner Sports). I've never used the Dr Scholl's custom generic version but something that is close to what you need is better then nothing at all.

I'm a big fan of Brooks. I'm on my second pair of Ghost 4's and went through 3 pairs of Ghost 3's last year.

Comment

I'm a pretty big runner and have always been an Asics Gel Nimbus fan. I also use Superfeet inserts (http://www.superfeet.com/activity/running-walking.aspx), though I'm sure any premium insert is good as long as it fits your foot.

I agree with everything SSgt says above. Another good investment I've made is a foam roller (http://www.amazon.com/Black-High-Den...73664&sr=1-7); it really helps with the day-to-day tightness you can get in knees/IT band/quads/hamstrings, etc after a tough run.

Comment

Originally posted by sv9cannon View Post
        ...I know I'll be issued a pair of running shoes at BCT...
        You will not be issued a pair of running shoes...You will be afforded the opportunity to buy a pair at the troop store while at Reception.

There were guys in my PLT that did not want to pay $80 when they brought running shoes that they were perfectly fine with, so they wore the ones they brought from home.

Caution note on this: If you decide to bring a pair of good running shoes from home, don't bring a neon-green or ridiculous color. More than likely they won't allow it and you also don't want to be that guy that stands out in that sense.

Comment

Originally posted by refcorp View Post
          I agree with everything SSgt says above. Another good investment I've made is a foam roller (http://www.amazon.com/Black-High-Den...73664&sr=1-7); it really helps with the day-to-day tightness you can get in knees/IT band/quads/hamstrings, etc after a tough run.
          Foam roller is a fantastic tool. I also recommend using a golf ball to get at tough knotts. Just lay on top of it and let your body weight and gravity do the work. Great for the upper back and shoulder blades. A tennis ball works pretty well for the lower back and the glutes.

Comment

For your first pair of good running shoes I recommend going to a local running store and having them fit them for you -- remember to wear your existing runnig shoes (the clerk will look at the wear patern). Also if you get shoes with built in arch support be aware that the custom insoles you may later buy would need to be of a smaller size. As for replacement, I have read 600 miles should be the replacement time frame for shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
              As for replacement, I have read 600 miles should be the replacement time frame for shoes.
              Depends on the individual and the individual shoe. I change mine out every 350-400 and for me its pretty consistent among brands.

Comment

If you want to learn how to run the most efficient way I would suggest getting a pair of barefoot running shoes. I am not talking about the 5 finger shoes, those are not within regs. I would look at the Merrel. Than slowly transition into using them. You will never have to worry about getting new ones when the foam wears out and they will increase your speed with less effort.

Comment

Working...
                X