X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to lose 1.5 inches in 10 days

I'm going to MEPS in 10 days, and I need to lose an inch and a half to pass the tape test. I'm currently dropping most if not all carbs out of my diet for the next 2 weeks, not only for this, but because I hear it helps curb cravings. I currently work out every day, but I don't know if I should focus more on cardio or core workouts. Anyone have any tips?

Re: Need to lose 1.5 inches in 10 days

Originally posted by Isaac Wynne View Post
    I'm going to MEPS in 10 days, and I need to lose an inch and a half to pass the tape test. I'm currently dropping most if not all carbs out of my diet for the next 2 weeks, not only for this, but because I hear it helps curb cravings. I currently work out every day, but I don't know if I should focus more on cardio or core workouts. Anyone have any tips?
    This sounds like a lofty goal. Keep in mind, cutting SOME carbs, specifically the unnecessary ones, is a good idea. However, if you are also working out, your body will need to burn carbs to sustain itself. If you "starve" your body, it will go into survival mode and you may find you won't lose any weight at all! In short, eat a balanced diet, and try to build up more muscle as more calories/fat is burned this way. Honestly, 10 days isn't enough time to see 1.5 inch difference healthily. If you are close, talk to your recruiter about postponing your MEPS appointment for a month.

Good luck!

Comment

Also, you might check out the fitness section on the National Guard website for some good workout tips: http://bit.ly/L1Jfga

Comment

because I hear it helps curb cravings
        Eating helps to "curb cravings".

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          This sounds like a lofty goal. Keep in mind, cutting SOME carbs, specifically the unnecessary ones, is a good idea. However, if you are also working out, your body will need to burn carbs to sustain itself. If you "starve" your body, it will go into survival mode and you may find you won't lose any weight at all! In short, eat a balanced diet, and try to build up more muscle as more calories/fat is burned this way. Honestly, 10 days isn't enough time to see 1.5 inch difference healthily. If you are close, talk to your recruiter about postponing your MEPS appointment for a month.

Good luck!
          DING DING DING DING DING DING DING...best advice given in this section that I've read so far!

Comment

I'll go a little bit deeper in this...

...cutting carbs will help you temporarily lose weight, but it's all water weight and glycogen stores that are deep withing your muscle cells and your liver (not around your waist). The fat around your waist is composed of lipids, body fat, subcutaneous body fat, and under your abdominal wall is the nasty stuff called visceral fat. Cutting the carbs is only going to help you lose a little bit of weight, but it won't effect your inches.

10 days is an unrealistic goal to see any kind of improvement, except for maybe losing 1-2 pounds and increasing your push-up max by 2 or 3, but that would be mostly a mental override of your lactate threshold than a physical strength gain. If you want to do it in a healthy way, increase your physical activity to lose the body fat. Building muscle won't necessarily help you lose fat (won't hurt either, so have at it), there is a common myth that more muscle generally means higher metabolism, but not very much higher. There are plenty of people at the gym who are really strong and have a big gut because an hour of lifting doesn't burn many calories, not enough to create a deficit, especially when they leave the gym and go grab a burger and fries with 10 beers throughout the night. Diet is key, and as RyCass said, a balanced diet that includes whole grains.

Be cool, eat right.

-Nick
            Last edited by Hargrove.Spc.541; July 23rd, 2012, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I lost several inches from buying a juicer and having 4 juice drinks a day for one week. If you still living at home and not working then you could have some issues because the fruits and veggies can be pricy. It was close to $20 a day for me but the results were fantastic. Also the juicer will cost some money too. Around $50 but now I have incorporated it into my normal diet to make sure I get the right amount of nutrients.

Comment

Just an update, I made tape! However, I was found in need of a medical consult for my eyesight. This was on 20120731. I went back on 20120813 and got the consult and was found disqualified due to my astigmatisms, so I applied for a waiver, and just last week I FINALLY heard back and my waiver was granted! I swore in today, and I am now Private Wynne! Elation doesn't even begin to describe it. I ship 20130122!

Comment

Just an update, I made tape! However, I was found in need of a medical consult for my eyesight. This was on 20120731. I went back on 20120813 and got the consult and was found disqualified due to my astigmatisms, so I applied for a waiver, and just last week I FINALLY heard back and my waiver was granted! I swore in today, and I am now Private Wynne! Elation doesn't even begin to describe it. I ship 20130122!
                  That is great - CONGRATULATIONS!

Comment

Way to stick with it! After so many hurdles there's no better feeling in the world! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Hargrove.Spc.541 View Post
                      I'll go a little bit deeper in this...

...cutting carbs will help you temporarily lose weight, but it's all water weight and glycogen stores that are deep withing your muscle cells and your liver (not around your waist). The fat around your waist is composed of lipids, body fat, subcutaneous body fat, and under your abdominal wall is the nasty stuff called visceral fat. Cutting the carbs is only going to help you lose a little bit of weight, but it won't effect your inches.

10 days is an unrealistic goal to see any kind of improvement, except for maybe losing 1-2 pounds and increasing your push-up max by 2 or 3, but that would be mostly a mental override of your lactate threshold than a physical strength gain. If you want to do it in a healthy way, increase your physical activity to lose the body fat. Building muscle won't necessarily help you lose fat (won't hurt either, so have at it), there is a common myth that more muscle generally means higher metabolism, but not very much higher. There are plenty of people at the gym who are really strong and have a big gut because an hour of lifting doesn't burn many calories, not enough to create a deficit, especially when they leave the gym and go grab a burger and fries with 10 beers throughout the night. Diet is key, and as RyCass said, a balanced diet that includes whole grains.

Be cool, eat right.

-Nick
                      I'm 5'8" and approximately 165lbs. When I start really training and drop to 2 meals a day instead of 3, I usually lose about 0.5lbs/day. I've done this multiple times. I've done this many times to know how quickly I can drop weight. It does not seem that I lose any physical ability by losing weight that quick. I've also found that my personal peak physical fitness level is associated with a weight range of 150-155lbs.

A word of caution is that you implement great variety in your training if you are looking to lose weight quickly. If I had to rely solely on running to lose that weight at that rate, I guarantee you will probably suffer from shin splints and lower body injuries.

Comment

Working...
                      X