X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running.. idk how n where to start

so i am about to be 24 and in ok shape.. not good or really bad, but i need to lose about 27 lbs to be able to join guard. i know the best way is running but what i dont know is how much/often i should start out? i also know running is a huge part of basic so i do want to be prepared.. i havent ever really had a workout plan before so i kinda need some advice on excercizes and good healthy diets.

Re: running.. idk how n where to start

Originally posted by conejita View Post
    so i am about to be 24 and in ok shape.. not good or really bad, but i need to lose about 27 lbs to be able to join guard. i know the best way is running but what i dont know is how much/often i should start out? i also know running is a huge part of basic so i do want to be prepared.. i havent ever really had a workout plan before so i kinda need some advice on excercizes and good healthy diets.
    You will get varied answers on what is good and bad...but a solid point to make (if not the actual most important one) is DIET.

The basics kind of come down to simple math. Burn more calories then you eat.

Comment

thank you and is there any possible way to know where i would go for basic?

Comment

27 pounds over is quite a lot, but not unattainable. There is a soon to be servicewoman that posts on the forums that has lost over 80 pounds. Reasonably you should be able to reach your goal in about 6 months. You should run at a pace that brings your heart rate up to about 155. I'm going to guess about 5.5 miles per hour. Do that each day for 30 minutes. I'd do it at least 5 days a week, but 6 would be better. Like Para said, you need to burn more than you take in. It CAN be done, it's just you have to decide if you have the personal discipline to do it. Honestly, if you can do it...basic will be easy. Because loosing weight takes a great deal of self disicpline and sacrifice.

Several big BCT posts. Jackson, Sill, FLW, Knox, Benning. Who knows?

Comment

Start with walking...seriously! People really underestimate just how good a simple walk is for you. Do half a mile, a mile, and take a look at your diet. When you feel like you are ready to start running, google the Couch to 5K program. Its a great free program that really works! Good luck!

Comment

i am also getting ready for basic, and my recruiter suggested I start doing push ups and situps he gave me two websites
            1) onehundredpushups.com
            2) twohundredsitups.com
            On a side note if you are going for the skills for stripes route this is also a good starting point, also out have to pass the physical part of the skills for stripes with at least a 60%

Comment

Yes do the Couch to 5K program because this really has results and also add in walking backwards do that before or after you do the couch to 5K program. 3 times a week 15 minutes each time. It will help you burn more calories. Oh and if you can go on the Paleo diet do it!
              Last edited by o13starsnstripes; July 20th, 2012, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                27 pounds over is quite a lot, but not unattainable. There is a soon to be servicewoman that posts on the forums that has lost over 80 pounds. Reasonably you should be able to reach your goal in about 6 months. You should run at a pace that brings your heart rate up to about 155. I'm going to guess about 5.5 miles per hour. Do that each day for 30 minutes. I'd do it at least 5 days a week, but 6 would be better. Like Para said, you need to burn more than you take in. It CAN be done, it's just you have to decide if you have the personal discipline to do it. Honestly, if you can do it...basic will be easy. Because loosing weight takes a great deal of self disicpline and sacrifice.

I'm not an expert, but someone who is overweight needs to keep in mind that their training regimen will need to have a "slow start" in regard to actual running. More body weight places more stress on the knees, ankles, etc. They won't be able to simply jump right into it as the risk of injury is much greater.

They need to run, but they need to limit their running until they can bring their body weight down enough. I would recommend swimming, cycling, and other non impact stress type of exercises.

My personal workout plan consists of running 4-5 miles every other day. On my "off" days, I'm swimming laps for 40-60 mins. It keeps your cardio going, but you're not doing excessive running. I'll only move to a more frequent running schedule if I am going to be attending a school such as Ranger School (which will probably never happen for New Jersey). There's really no need to subject yourself to excessive wear and tear if a plan already works out well enough for an APFT/RPFT.

Comment

So why do you call yourself conejita (little female rabbit) and not tortuga? (turtle)

Comment

Don't forget about the push ups as well

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post

Target heart rate isn't something that applies to each individual person. Google the Karvonen formula if you want to do it the right way. Don't just assume it's 155 for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                        I'm not an expert, but someone who is overweight needs to keep in mind that their training regimen will need to have a "slow start" in regard to actual running. More body weight places more stress on the knees, ankles, etc. They won't be able to simply jump right into it as the risk of injury is much greater.

They need to run, but they need to limit their running until they can bring their body weight down enough. I would recommend swimming, cycling, and other non impact stress type of exercises.

My personal workout plan consists of running 4-5 miles every other day. On my "off" days, I'm swimming laps for 40-60 mins. It keeps your cardio going, but you're not doing excessive running. I'll only move to a more frequent running schedule if I am going to be attending a school such as Ranger School (which will probably never happen for New Jersey). There's really no need to subject yourself to excessive wear and tear if a plan already works out well enough for an APFT/RPFT.
                        You make a good point about the type of exercise to choose for a beginner. My exercise physiology teacher gave us an awesome quote one day..."Get in shape to run, don't run to get in shape." Eliptical, swimming, rowing, and cycling are the activities I would choose for someone who has trouble running or is too heavy to do it safely.

However, 30 minutes is a bit on the low end for weight loss. In 30 minutes at a slow pace, only about 100-200 calories are being burned depending on the individuals age, height, weight, etc. In order to lose 1 pound per week, you would need a 3500 calorie deficit each week. That means the persons diet should consist of a few hundred calories less, and their activity should promote burning a few hundred more to create that deficit. It's widely accepted in the fitness world to put someone whose goal is to lose weight on at least 60-90 minutes of moderate cardiovascular activity to promote weight loss. Once their weight is withing their desired range, then increasing the intensity and reducing the time can be done for maintenance and performance enhancement.

In regards to injury prevention, too many runners get hurt. I live in "Track Town USA", and I'm learning from an Athletic Trainer who works in a rehab setting (physical therapy clinic), and the majority of their patients are runners. Running is dangerous, and technique is important. If you really care about your body, I recommend everyone who reads this invests $50-100 in working with an ATC to get their gait analyzed. Also, don't forget to incorporate lateral footwork. Most people just run forward, which is natural because we're sagittal beings, but most injuries occur when someone has to jump out of the way of something else and they blow out their knee. Check out youtube for some lateral footwork drills, I recommend strengthcoach.com or any Mike Boyle video.

-Nick, ACSM-CPT

Comment

Originally posted by Hargrove.Spc.541 View Post
                          You make a good point about the type of exercise to choose for a beginner. My exercise physiology teacher gave us an awesome quote one day..."Get in shape to run, don't run to get in shape." Eliptical, swimming, rowing, and cycling are the activities I would choose for someone who has trouble running or is too heavy to do it safely.

However, 30 minutes is a bit on the low end for weight loss. In 30 minutes at a slow pace, only about 100-200 calories are being burned depending on the individuals age, height, weight, etc. In order to lose 1 pound per week, you would need a 3500 calorie deficit each week. That means the persons diet should consist of a few hundred calories less, and their activity should promote burning a few hundred more to create that deficit. It's widely accepted in the fitness world to put someone whose goal is to lose weight on at least 60-90 minutes of moderate cardiovascular activity to promote weight loss. Once their weight is withing their desired range, then increasing the intensity and reducing the time can be done for maintenance and performance enhancement.

In regards to injury prevention, too many runners get hurt. I live in "Track Town USA", and I'm learning from an Athletic Trainer who works in a rehab setting (physical therapy clinic), and the majority of their patients are runners. Running is dangerous, and technique is important. If you really care about your body, I recommend everyone who reads this invests $50-100 in working with an ATC to get their gait analyzed. Also, don't forget to incorporate lateral footwork. Most people just run forward, which is natural because we're sagittal beings, but most injuries occur when someone has to jump out of the way of something else and they blow out their knee. Check out youtube for some lateral footwork drills, I recommend strengthcoach.com or any Mike Boyle video.

-Nick, ACSM-CPT

I forgot to mention the importance of getting cleared by a physician before you exercise. Check your blood pressure, your resting heart rate, and your blood sugar level before beginning ANY exercise program. People, even young people, drop dead or have strokes when jumping into a heavy regimen, which could almost always be prevented by getting checked out by a professional. Your life is worth the money!

Comment

i myself am in the process of inlisting and when i started running i started with just a 20 minute walk every moring and after 2 weeks i was able to walk/jog 4 miles i started by walking where i live as i did not want to really shame myself in the gym in front of alot of people . so i suggest start simple and work up to hard and start where you are most comfortable to build you condfince up

Comment

To add, there's a fitness section on the National Guard website with some helpful videos. Check it out if you're needing some inspiration: http://bit.ly/L1Jfga

Comment

Working...
                              X