X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting a workout/diet schedule

I need to lose about thirty pounds in order to enlist. I played Football in High School, graduated two weeks ago, but being an offensive lineman my coaches kept me heavier set.

I'm 6'4", 270 lbs, and I am looking into joining as an MP. I know I need to run, I can do the push-up and sit-up requirements because I was also in Army JROTC. My 1SGT was an ex-DI so he was able to push me and help me with that section. My mile run is c*** though. I don't know what to do and there are too many websites on the internet that say different things. If I'm given a schedule and a diet plan I can stick to it without a problem.

I have already taken my ASVAB(scored a 92) and everything else is taken care of. I just need to loose the weight and get my mile run down, any and all help will be appreciated.

Re: Requesting a workout/diet schedule

For what it's worth, here would be my recommendation. You are no longer a football player (at least I assume), so carrying around lots of weight is not beneficial. I would assume that if you trimmed down to meet the max weight for your height your mile time would drop significantly. I would also bet that your pushups would go up as well as your situps. Being young, you could make some changes and see some results in a short period of time. First and foremost you have to clean up your diet. You need to cut out the saturated fats and sugar as well as limiting your carbs. You also need to watch what you drink. You should be drinking water, and lots of it. Don't touch soda, energy drinks, or anything with sugar in it. I would bet that if you went a week drinking water only you would drop 5-10 lbs (based on your size). With your food, just because you are watching what you are eating doesn't mean to eat less. You should be eating at least 3 meals a day and some snacks as well. Your biggest friend is going to be a speedy metabolism. If you want to kick start that metabolism you have to eat (once again what you eat is very important).

As far as a workout plan, I would suggest you come up with something based upon your normal lifestyle and your plans in the military. If you want to speed up your mile time, there is no magic workout, you just have to run. But with that said, you don't have to do it everyday. You can run 3 days a week and shed time off pretty easily, then on the days you don't run, work on your pushups/situps/strength. I would recommend looking into an interval running program. Do sprint work 2 days a week and work in one distance run. PM me if you want some specifics on the interval program. Just remember that the more effort you put in, the more you get out of it. So when you do run, you have to put in max effort to get max results. Also keep in mind that as you build up muscle, you will burn more calories, so building strength all over will help cut weight.

Work hard and stay motivated. Remember why you are getting up to go run at 0530 while everyone else is still sleeping. Remember why you are snacking on fruit and almonds and eating healthy while your friends are eating burgers and fries. Remember why you are doing pushups and situps during commercials while watching TV every night. Good luck!

Comment

There's a lot of great information here on the forums with some very knowledgeable members. I encourage you to browse the topics and see if you can find someone you can work with!

As far as how to get started with your fitness, I would recommend checking out the fitness section on the National Guard website. For example, there's a diet plan and fitness calculator that may be useful to you. Here's a direct link: http://bit.ly/L1Jfga.

Lastly, one thing to remember is that your fitness will eventually come down to you and how hard you want to work.

Comment

In your diet if you can try and avoid foods that have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them. HFCS has been linked to obesity and removing it from your diet will help in your weight loss.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          There's a lot of great information here on the forums with some very knowledgeable members. I encourage you to browse the topics and see if you can find someone you can work with!

As far as how to get started with your fitness, I would recommend checking out the fitness section on the National Guard website. For example, there's a diet plan and fitness calculator that may be useful to you. Here's a direct link: http://bit.ly/L1Jfga.

Lastly, one thing to remember is that your fitness will eventually come down to you and how hard you want to work.
          This is great advice, but I would definitely add that when it comes to losing weight, it will ultimately come down to how well you manage what you eat. You can't possibly run enough to make up for the diet you ate during your football years, not that you would want to try anyway.

I won't force a lot of advice on you if you don't want it, but in addition to the link posted by RyCass, I know that Couch 2 5k (c25k) is a good running program and if you are interested in learning about nutrition, you should see Lyle McDonald's web site. I strongly recommend Lyle's site and free articles to anyone.

Comment

Super-sets, super-sets, super-sets...COMPLETELY DISREGARD EVERYTHING that your high school coaches said about lifting heavy weights for low reps..get that out of your head!!

You need to concentrate on muscle hypertrophy and muscle strength (there is a difference between strength and power) aim for 4-5 sets of 6-12 reps on EVERYTHING...and occasionally do sets of 5-6 of reps from 8-12 this will build endurance like crazy...I'm a kinesiology (exercise) major in college..need any more info send me a private message..

Comment

Muscle hypertrophy will actually cause someone to gain weight, and I don't believe that is the effect that he is after. I'm also an Exercise Science major, and I know for certain that hypertrophy has nothing to do with increasing muscular endurance. The only way to build endurance is to increase the lactate threshold, which ultimately comes down to interval training combined with endurance training. If you need to improve your run times, then run!

Comment

Intervals, Intervals, Intervals! Cut out calories, opt for lean meat instead of fatty meats, and burn more calories. If you want to improve your run times, then run. There is no plan that works for everyone, so you have to figure out how to increase your endurance, which ultimately means RUN! Or hire a Personal Trainer

-Nick

Comment

Stay off the computer, stay away from the TV, stay off the couch.

Comment

If you can I recommend you go and repost your question on the messageboard at www.dragondoor.com because you can get alot of good information there for yourself!

Comment

My mistake, you're right. While I was typing that I forget he was a little over weight and I was for whatever reason thinking he was my size 5'11 160..my apologize for the inaccurate information. Listen to Hargrove, low weight, high reps few times a week.. you'll be set...to get a good idea of what exercises to do, visit Bodybuilding.com..although I do not recommend you follow any workouts on this webpage because it is ment to pack on muscle, there are however tons of good exercises..good luck ambre

Comment

Originally posted by kwelker View Post
                        My mistake, you're right. While I was typing that I forget he was a little over weight and I was for whatever reason thinking he was my size 5'11 160..my apologize for the inaccurate information. Listen to Hargrove, low weight, high reps few times a week.. you'll be set...to get a good idea of what exercises to do, visit Bodybuilding.com..although I do not recommend you follow any workouts on this webpage because it is ment to pack on muscle, there are however tons of good exercises..good luck ambre
                        Well said. I'm pretty sure BodyBuilding.com also has tips for people trying to "cut" fat as they would say. I don't frequent that site, but I've checked it out to see what's up with it, and their workouts and advice are legit. Just don't get ****** into their supplements that they push. They're over-priced and their benefits are unproven.

I can't put a bigger emphasis on controlling your diet though. At 6'4 270 you're considered obese, and no one gets to that status by pumping iron alone. Cut down on your calories, and don't fret about that burning feeling of hunger you feel in your stomach as you get used to it. It's from a hormone called grehlin, which is produced as a reminder that you need to eat because you've made it think for so long that you need so many calories, but by looking at your BMI, I'm guessing you have enough calories to sustain yourself for a few weeks without food, but I'm not suggesting that. Track how much you eat for a week, be honest with yourself, and reduce your calories by 500 a day. At that rate you should lose about 1lb per week, then adding more endurance training (cardio), you should be able to lose 2-3 lbs per week without doing any harm. That's what ACSM recommends, and I do too.

-Nick (ACSM, CPT)

Comment

Originally posted by Squash View Post
                          Stay off the computer, stay away from the TV, stay off the couch.
                          true story

Comment

Working...
                          X