Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obesity: A Big Fat Problem For America’s Future

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-e...193852066.html

I'm sorry but the body mass index is an outdated bogus method to determine if you are fit or not. I really can't understand why any civilian or military personal would continue to use it?

Re: Obesity: A Big Fat Problem For America’s Future

Why do you think using BMI is not a valid method? Do you know of a better way to determine an individual's overall fitness?

Unfortunate or not, any new recruit and/or current Soldier will have to learn about the fitness system in place and adjust accordingly. Here's a fitness calculator to refer to: http://bit.ly/My2o6Y

Comment

For three reasons

1) It is based on your height and weight which means that these numbers do not even have anything to do with body fat percentage which is a big factor when assessing health risks.
      2) It may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build.
      3) It may underestimate body fat in older persons and others who have lost muscle mass.

Comment

For conversation's sake, what would be the solution, then?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          For conversation's sake, what would be the solution, then?
          Personally if I were the Secretary of Defense I would order them to change over to the Sagittal Abdominal Diameter. Its a much better way to determine your level of fitness and a better way to see who is at risk for what. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagitta...minal_Diameter
          Last edited by o13starsnstripes; June 23rd, 2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

BMI stands for Body Mass Index, and it's best used to assess medical health risks in adults and to measure if a child is developing properly. It doesn't assess a persons fitness level at all. Fitness testing is used to assess fitness. I'm studying exercise science right now, and one of the first things I learned was assessing and prescribing fitness. Testing one's body composition with skinfold calipers or a BIA test is the most accurate way of determining body fat, but someone could be very lean and still not be fit at all. That's why the AFPT assesses more than BMI for eligibility, otherwise, the military would be full of skinny people who can't run or move their own weight.

Comment

You mean waist to hip ratio?

Comment

Originally posted by Hargrove.Spc.541 View Post
                You mean waist to hip ratio?
                Well thats another good way to measure what weight an individual should be at.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist-hip_ratio The truth is there really has to be some kind of modern day update here because if you keep going on 1950s health science than the country isn't going to get anywhere with it's weight problem.

Comment

WHR is still recommended by ACSM, which is the organization that still sets the "gold standard" in research for fitness today, and since the 50's. As a matter of fact, if you look at the obesity rate in the 1950's, it was much lower than it is today, less than half actually! Maybe we should go back to doing what people were doing back then, like preparing our own meals, working more, spending more time outdoors, and sitting down less! Everyone wants some kind of "new way", which in other words means short-cut to good health and fitness, but how many ways can we come up with? The world has way too many gadgets and techniques as it is, free weights, cable machines, kettlebells, pilates, yoga, martial arts, etc. The good old fashioned theory of only eat what your metabolism requires and get up and move works just fine for most, with an extra emphasis on safety. What needs to change is how people train because it's leading to a lot injuries. Too much spinal flexion, such as the military's way of doing crunches and push-ups with the cervical spine in flexion causes more injuries than lifting heavy weights properly. "Get fit to run, don't run to get fit" ~ Eric Sorenson PhD In other words, train for function before narcissistic and unrealistic goals of getting "ripped" in one week, and only eat what your body needs instead of eating what tastes good.

Comment

Also, perhaps more importantly, WHR and BMI only assess a person's health risks, they are absolutely NOT associated with a person's fitness level. You have to be specific about what kind of fitness you are testing to determine a person's fitness level. It can not be done by measuring circumference or body composition. That has more to do with their diet than their fitness, and as I said someone could be incredibly thin and out of shape just as someone can be very large and overweight but have excellent muscular endurance, such as Jim Brown getting a competitive marathon time despite his large gut. You can't crunch your way to a thin waist. Body fat cannot be spot trimmed, it's determined by calories in vs calories out, period. Jim Brown just so happens to love his food as much as his fitness, so he has great endurance while carrying a lot of extra fat for an endurance athlete. I'd be happy to reference some of my textbooks if you need more clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                      Well thats another good way to measure what weight an individual should be at.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist-hip_ratio The truth is there really has to be some kind of modern day update here because if you keep going on 1950s health science than the country isn't going to get anywhere with it's weight problem.
                      WHR doesn't make any suggestions for weight. It's only a tool used to measure health risks because more abdominal girth than hip girth indicates a risk for disease. I'm not trying to pick on you, but you should deepen your understanding on these subjects before giving advice on them, because frankly, what you're saying is inaccurate.

Comment

Working...
                      X