X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues after running.

Well I have successfully enlisted into the national guard and have increased my workout routine, problem is that about 2 weeks ago after my run I began to have severe pains in my lower shin / ankle area and they have not gone way. The pain intensifies when I lift or push heavy objects at work, because of this I have been unable to run for more than 10-15 sec at a time and walk with a limp after lifting a heavy object. I doubt this is too serious and was wondering if anyone else has had these problems before, if so, how, or what did you do to overcome them? Could this simply be shin splints / sprained ankle, I would like to get over this issue before June 9th, my first RSP.

Re: Issues after running.

Ryan,

First congratulations on your enlistment. Secondly you were doing the "right thing" by trying to get into, or stay in shape. It may seem obvious, but fitness is arguably the most frequently neglected aspect of many young soldiers.

Think of pain as your body's way of telling you when something is wrong. That makes sense right? Perhaps the most counter productive thing you can do is continue to attempt to run when you are experiencing significant pain.

It should be beyond the scope of this forum to give any type of accurate differential diagnosis on to what's causing it. But as a long distance runner, I know many peers who have suffered from shin splints or posterior tibialis tendonitis. Ice, 600mg of Ibuprophen, stretching, and rest by changing the aerobic activity. For a week or so test and see if you are able to use the eliptical, stair-stepper or swimming. Keep your cardio program going as best you are able, but stop running. If you don't see an improvement, you should really seek medical attention for further treatment modalities and to ensure you don't have a slight tibial fracture or something more insideous.

Comment

I would agree with Mongoose on his post. I would test with lower impact aerobic activity like elliptical or spinning to work your cardiovascular endurance without the pounding.

Another thought ... how are your shoes?? If they are really old, then this might be another source of issue. A good pair of running shoes might run you $100, but it's well worth it. If you have a Fleet Feet store near you, check it out. They can fit you with the right type of sneaker for how you move, your arches, etc.

Ankle strengthening activities may help, too. Try tracing the alphabet in the air with your toes while you watch TV, or do calf raises while you stand around.

Good luck!

Comment

I second the notion of a new pair of running shoes. Many problems such as shin splints and lower back pain can be corrected simply by wearing the right pair of shoes. Every person is different and therefore a different shoe is required depending on the arches of your feet and the placement of your feet while running etc. I ran a full marathon once with the wrong type of shoes and because if this I experienced a knee injury that took 9 months to fully heal. Using ice is also a great as suggested earlier. Run individual ice cubes up and down your shins for 10-20 minutes. Even if you are only experiencing pain in one leg do not neglect the other, ice that one too.

No matter how great of advice anyone on this forum might give I do highly suggest seeing a doctor if pain persists. After all we are just some dudes on the internet.

Comment

I suffered from chronic shin splints for my entire life.... until I tried "minimalist/ barefoot" running. It changes the way your feet land as you run and effectively cures shin splints. Check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by StandFast85 View Post
            I suffered from chronic shin splints for my entire life.... until I tried "minimalist/ barefoot" running. It changes the way your feet land as you run and effectively cures shin splints. Check it out.
            I second this post. For now though, STOP. Work on your upper body strength or something else. Dont get hurt. Make that a #1 priority. Nobody is going to take care of you except you. Chill out, give it a rest. Do some serious resting of your legs, ice them and chill out. If you push to hard and youre hurt youre gonna end up sucking or injured when you get to basic and AIT. Take some advil (or which ever of the medicines are anti-inflammatory).

Start slowly. The Army is going to run your rear off anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by selmore816 View Post
              If you have a Fleet Feet store near you, check it out.
              THIS
              THIS
              THIS
              THIS
              THIS

From what I understand, your calf muscles are tightening up from the running, and literally pulling away from your shins. The way you pronate has a MAJOR effect on how those muscles develop. Correcting an over or under-pronation will drastically improve your running.

A few years after running through the pain at BCT/AIT, I went to a Fleet Feet because I needed new shoes. They put me on a treadmill, recorded my feet striking the ground, explained everything to me, and sold me a pair of shoes that (almost) completely cured my shins. I 100% endorse this store, or any other place that does something similar. Go there, and you'll be good to go.

The important thing, though, will be building those muscles up the right way before you go to BCT. Your DS may or may not let you use your running shoes from home.

Here's some info I found regarding pronation: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...7727-0,00.html
              Last edited by Lance13A; May 12th, 2012, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Do any other stores do this? Feet Fleet locations are largely limited.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                  I don't know of any, but I'd imagine they have to exist..

Comment

Yes, other stores do this. I went to a "Running Etc" and they evaluated and then fit me with shoes.

Comment

Playmakers do as well and they are all over the country.

Comment

Road Runner Sports is another.

Comment

Any decent running / triathlon store should provide fitting services. Look for what's in the area and give them a call.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
                            Start slowly. The Army is going to run your rear off anyways.
                            This is most important to do, especially if your body is not use to running. Have you seen the Couch to 5K website? Your fitness level might be beyond this, but it gives a pretty straight forward example of how to start your running routine. Keep in mind that when you run, you are putting a lot of pressure on your muscles AND bones. The key is to condition your body so running is enjoyable and you can avoid injury. http://www.c25k.com/

Also, I would personally recommend seeing a sports doctor if you start to have chronic pain after changing shoes, resting, etc. I suffered for three years with bi-lateral compartment syndrome in both legs because I thought it was shin splints. After a simple surgical procedure, I am now able to run again with no pain.

Congratulations on your enlistment! I hope you are able to heal quickly and get back out there.

Comment

I have not ran in a few weeks. Every now and then I'll start a little jog at work from point A to B and not feel a thing. When lifting heavy objects 250-400 LBs, concentrating on pushing with my lower body, mostly below the knee, not sure if I should be doing that, then I start to feel the pains in my shins again. Because of that I'm afraid to go out for another run in fear of getting injured toward the end of the mile, witch is another 1 mile walk back to home. Should I just stop running all together like Show_Stopper999 suggested, or shoot for a .5 mile run to see what happens?

Comment

Working...
                              X