X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workouts while "On the Road"

In my civilian job I'm an Engineer for an Oil&Gas company. While some work is "local" (just driving to and from the wellsite daily from home), the majority of it involves being based out of a hotel for several weeks at a time (we do a 15 day on, 6 day off schedule, 12 hr work shifts plus drive time of abt 40 mins each way to the wellsite).

That being said, I try to do a workout 5-6 days a week in the evenings, alternating running or low-impact cardio such as swimming on one day, with core and upper body strengthening on the other day. It's easy enough to do pushups and variations thereof/situps and variations thereof either in my hotel room or in the hotel gym, but I'd REALLY like to add in some pullups or similar (I miss doing them from Airborne School LOL). There's a kid's playground at the local park I go running at, but the bars are at weird angles or curved so it's not quite the same. I've considered buying a transportable pullup bar and just setting that up in the room/gym, but just wondered if anyone has any advice for this or any other good workouts for while I'm "on the road"?

I've also invested in some "Captains of Crush" grippers to improve forearm strength, and splice those in on my upper body/core days. My PT Score is around 250's/260's, but I want to get it up to 270 for the next record test in June, and ideally 280+ for OCS in July.

I'm somewhat of a rarity in this line of work...just about everyone else smokes/dips, spends their evenings eating out and drinking at the bar! I get back, PT for about an hour, chat to the wife (who's in another state), squeeze in some study for OCS and then try to get 7 hrs sleep if I'm lucky! That being said I'm definitely thankful to be both in a well-paid and technical job, as well as being in the NG and on track for OCS.

Re: Workouts while "On the Road"

Originally posted by USAForever View Post
    In my civilian job I'm an Engineer for an Oil&Gas company. While some work is "local" (just driving to and from the wellsite daily from home), the majority of it involves being based out of a hotel for several weeks at a time (we do a 15 day on, 6 day off schedule, 12 hr work shifts plus drive time of abt 40 mins each way to the wellsite).

That being said, I try to do a workout 5-6 days a week in the evenings, alternating running or low-impact cardio such as swimming on one day, with core and upper body strengthening on the other day. It's easy enough to do pushups and variations thereof/situps and variations thereof either in my hotel room or in the hotel gym, but I'd REALLY like to add in some pullups or similar (I miss doing them from Airborne School LOL). There's a kid's playground at the local park I go running at, but the bars are at weird angles or curved so it's not quite the same. I've considered buying a transportable pullup bar and just setting that up in the room/gym, but just wondered if anyone has any advice for this or any other good workouts for while I'm "on the road"?

I've also invested in some "Captains of Crush" grippers to improve forearm strength, and splice those in on my upper body/core days. My PT Score is around 250's/260's, but I want to get it up to 270 for the next record test in June, and ideally 280+ for OCS in July.

I'm somewhat of a rarity in this line of work...just about everyone else smokes/dips, spends their evenings eating out and drinking at the bar! I get back, PT for about an hour, chat to the wife (who's in another state), squeeze in some study for OCS and then try to get 7 hrs sleep if I'm lucky! That being said I'm definitely thankful to be both in a well-paid and technical job, as well as being in the NG and on track for OCS.
    Buy the cook Convict Conditioning by Paul " Coach " Wade http://www.dragondoor.com/shop-by-department/books/b41/

Comment

You might also try jump roping. It's a great way to keep up on your cardio in a small amount of space.

Comment

Honestly in that book it lays out the important exercises that we need and thats all. It lists six bodyweight exercises that are pretty demanding and honestly thats all you need. There really isn't anything more powerful than one arm push ups and one arm pull ups!

Comment

Working...
        X