Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like some input on what I'm doing.

Hi everyone. I am currently trying to get back in shape and wanting to join the guard. Talked to a recruiter and he told me where I need to be. Currently I'm 5ft 6inches, 182lbs. Been doing couch to 5K for about 2 weeks now and have noticed some improvement in my stamina. Also going to the gym and lifting weights, doing pushups at home with some jumping jacks and whatever thrown in. Been doing the nothing white diet,no soda, only water and coffee, only veggies I like are green beans and corn so that is getting old already. I used to be in really good shape about 6 years ago, 150lbs working 60 hours a week in a warehouse doing pretty heavy labor. So being fat now is killing me. Anyway I'm not sure when I should get super serious and run till I puke. After I can run a whole 5K? Thanks for reading, sorry for rambling a bit.

Re: I'd like some input on what I'm doing.

I'm doing couch to 5k as well, just going to be starting week 4. I am not overweight but I have NEVER been a long distance runner. I've really enjoyed the program, by week 3 I was finally starting to see some improvement. I just did Pat's Run today (4.2 miles) and ran an entire mile without stopping for the first time ever in my life. My time is still not where it needs to be, but I am ecstatic!

The way I'm approaching the program is I'm using it as a tool to get my stamina up, to get the distance and the strength in my legs. Once I'm done, then I'll worry about working on speed. My goal when the program is over is to run 4-5 miles 3 times a week before I ship, and I think this is possible by sticking to the program.

I don't think you should run until you puke. I say stick with the program and see how you progress. Don't get discouraged, just keep at it. But you do need to look at your diet and make some changes there. Diet is half the battle. Chill out on the bread and learn to like more veggies or cook them a different way. Good luck!!

Comment

You should always run until you throw up until you can run without throwing up. I've thrown up countless times running. I still throw up after every PT test I take. As far as I understand, puking just means your cardiovascular system is exhausted. You're giving 100%. That's how I know I'm training. But that's just me.
      I wouldn't suggest avoiding the puke for a new runner. It comes with the territory if you're really trying to improve. Run till you puke, then turn around and run back.

*BE AWARE I AM NOT A DOCTOR NOR DO I REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF THE ARMY NATIONAL GUARD. I ONLY SPEAK FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE*
      Last edited by Lance13A; April 21st, 2012, 11:23 PM.

Comment

If you are trying to drop weight keep running and watch what you eat. I know that sounds generic, but follow me here... This is all coming from a person who could knock out a tostinos pizza and a few nutter-butters washed down with a glass of milk as a snack to revamping my diet and workout regiment and becoming an Ironman triathlete.

Food
        -Watch your sugar intake. Eat natural foods. Look at the nutrition labels on foods that you eat. Check out the sugar content on the ingredient list. I know a lot of people that eat organic foods because they think it's better for them, but they forget that sugar can be organic too. Compare a jar of organic peanut butter and natural peanut butter. Taste them both. Organic peanut butter is very sweet compared to natural peanut butter. Hidden sugar means more calories...and more fat.

-Modify your meat intake. If you eat pork (of any kind) wipe it out completely. Cut your beef intake as well. Stick to more fish, turkey, and chicken.

-Make yourself like fruits and veggies. I can't stress enough the difference fresh fruits and vegetables will do for you. Eat things like black beans, carrots, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, onions, peppers, sweet potatoes...there is a lot out there when it comes to vegetables. You can use herbs and spices to make them taste "better" to you. Of course fries taste better that beans, no argument here, but you have to train yourself.

-Zero fried food...ever. No chips, fries, pies...etc.

-Restaurants Request your food with no butter added. Avoid anything that has, "creamy, buttery, flaky, gooey" it's bad news.

In general, when you eat just think this, "Is what I am about to put in my stomach helping me reach my goals?" If it's a snickers bar the answer is no.

Running
        -Like Solrider said, just keep doing it to build up your stamina. I don't think that you have to puke to get a good workout. If you are doing couch to 5k stick with it. A lot of people stop working out after three or four weeks because they don't look like all of the people on P90X infomercials. Your goal isn't to be the best at working out. You are trying to get better. Make progress one day at a time...

Comment

Down to 173 now. Still sticking to my diet pretty well which really surprised me. I can run/walk 2ish miles mostly running now. If I can lose 10 more I will be really happy. Then I'm going to start working on my one mile speed.

Comment

I have found 60/120s (or 30/60s to start off) to be the absolute best way of dropping time while picking up stamina. Basically, by running hard for a period of time, and then walking or very slow jogging for double the running time, you trick your heart into thinking that you are running the whole time, but in reality you are catching your breath to go again. While this is in no way something you should do in place of building your distance, it will certainly help with it. hill runs are also a great thing.. Also, when you are running, be sure to jog a quarter mile or so as a warm up, and then stop to stretch (and catch your breath). Not only are your muscles warmed up, but the blood is pumping making it much easier to run longer, which seems counter-intuitive I know. When I joined up, I was running about an 1830 2 mile, and now I am generally down around the 15:10 mark. I am in no way a runner, and could stand to lose a few pounds for sure.. but give those things a try for a little while and see how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13D View Post
              You should always run until you throw up until you can run without throwing up. I've thrown up countless times running. I still throw up after every PT test I take. As far as I understand, puking just means your cardiovascular system is exhausted. You're giving 100%. That's how I know I'm training. But that's just me.
              I wouldn't suggest avoiding the puke for a new runner. It comes with the territory if you're really trying to improve. Run till you puke, then turn around and run back.

*BE AWARE I AM NOT A DOCTOR NOR DO I REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF THE ARMY NATIONAL GUARD. I ONLY SPEAK FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE*
              I would not recommend this because not everybody will have the mental capacity to run at this level and want to continue to run.

The bottom line is that you have to make running an enjoyable experience. In the military, you are forced to run in pain because by pushing you in that regard; it will get you to the level where you need be and hopefully sustain you to always pass the run test.

But to get to the level of military running and if you have time; take it easy. Go at your own pace. Walk and run if need be but push yourself a little bit more. So if you can run without stopping for 7 minutes. Try for 8 minutes in two days. Once you start doing that; you dont stress yourself with running.

People hate running because of the experience by being yelled at and forced to run. If you can get yourself at an acceptable level before you leave to BCT; then running will be a breeze. It was for me. Now it isnt

Comment

Lost 15 pounds now. Going to meps Thursday. Going to go run on the treadmill tomorrow after work and set it on about a 8:30 pace and see what I can do.

Comment

Way to go! Good luck at MEPS.

Comment

Your post doesn't say or not, but treadmill running is significantly easier than road running (which is easier than trail running). That said good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                      Your post doesn't say or not, but treadmill running is significantly easier than road running (which is easier than trail running). That said good luck.
                      Very much easier. That was the only way for me to time a mile run. My MEPS got pushed to next week but that means no pt test till next month so I should be a little faster by then.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
                        Very much easier. That was the only way for me to time a mile run. My MEPS got pushed to next week but that means no pt test till next month so I should be a little faster by then.
                        Here this should help you out http://www.dragondoor.com/b41/

Comment

Working...
                        X