X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this normal?

when i enlisted in december i was 69 inches tall and weighed about 140(probably a little bit less). Now i weigh about 162. im not quite for sure if this is normal. I work out daily and run 4 miles every other day. can anyone tell me why im gaining so much weight?

Re: is this normal?

Probably has something to do with your eating. That has nothing to do with the Guard or joining or anything like that. No, that is not normal for you someone to gain 22 pounds in 2 months. Fortunately for you, you are still under the weight standards so you don't have anything to worry about. Just don't gain another 22 pounds over the next 2 months.

Comment

Alright. Good. I mean i Do not look any bigger than i did 2 months ago so i didn't know what was going on.

Comment

Anytime you're overweight, your body fat will be measured. This is to compensate for those who have or acquired more muscle than fat.

Comment

You gained 22lbs in 2 monthes huh?

By "workout" are you refering to any form of strength or endurance training by chance?

Muscle is 2.3X the weight of fat. Just sayin.... And yes, it IS possible to gain 22lbs of muscle in 2 months.

If you have a high protien diet with heavy endurance lifting/workouts, absolutely.

"Normal" is something you should ask your doctor about concerning your individual, specific human body. (What is "Normal" varies human to human, even in the same age/height/gender)

Talk to your doctor for best info concerning the gain itself. For Army Standards, read what the Soldiers posted.

EDIT:

No offense, but "pounds" and "kilograms" are horrible measures of human fitness. They tell you literate nothing about someone outside the realm prescriptions, and vehicle loading tables for logistics purposes.
          Last edited by FutureEngineer; April 10th, 2012, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post
            And yes, it IS possible to gain 22lbs of muscle in 2 months.

If you have a high protien diet with heavy endurance lifting/workouts, absolutely.
            Hahaha. You crack me up.
            Last edited by Hunter; April 10th, 2012, 10:49 PM. Reason: Edit: it is possible to get fat in two months!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
              Hahaha. You crack me up.
              It wasn't a joke, I was being serious.

22lbs can be gained in 2 months, regardless if muscle, or fat.

Muscle is 2.3x heavier than fat.

That said, weight gain can be from any number of situations. Whether workout routine, or medical condition. Even some as "simple" as hormonal imbalances can cause rapid/immediately muscle growth or body fat development.

Only person who would be "qualified" to determine if what this man is going through is "normal" is a man who has an MD from an accredited Medical School. Because said man would be the only one qualified to determine if this "weight gain" is "normal" for this specific individual. (What is "normal" for one man, is not "normal" for another, because every human body is different)

There was no humor at all in any way ment in my above statement.

Comment

Originally posted by the jones kid View Post
                when i enlisted in december i was 69 inches tall and weighed about 140(probably a little bit less). Now i weigh about 162. im not quite for sure if this is normal. I work out daily and run 4 miles every other day. can anyone tell me why im gaining so much weight?
                Same thing happened to me after I got back from deployment. I went from 140 to 162 at 70" tall. In two months. I wasn't working out much though. Just eating all the really bad food that I couldn't get overseas. It freaked me out because it wasn't a long time ago that I could metabolize a whole grain elevator and not gain weight.

Check your calorie intake vs. what your exercise levels are.

Comment

I think he's laughing because gaining 22 lbs of pure muscle in 2 years is an impressive feat. that much in 2 months is impossible without the aid of performance enhancing drugs.

Comment

I know Im a little late in this thread, but water intake could account for some of the weight being put on. I know for some people (including myself) my weight will flucuate 6 to 10 pounds in a few days if I dont drink or drink a lot of water. Where you are running 4 miles every day tells me your intake has probably increased over the past month. If you started taking creatine recently, that helps your body to absorb more water into your system and muscles which could also account for the increased weight.

Comment

I got married and gained about 32 pounds...hooah, for chubby hubbies.

Comment

I think it has something to do with your diet...it's unusual to gain such weight in just two months

Comment

Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post

Muscle is 2.3x heavier than fat.
                          1 lb of muscle does not weight 2.3x 1lb of fat!

Fat takes up more space then muscle so in theory you could fit more muscle 2.3lbs lets say in the same space 1 lb of fat would fit. But 1lb is 1lb no matter what medium it comes in.

Comment

Working...
                          X