Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cycling to Improve Running?

Originally posted by roseagle View Post
    Does anyone here incorporate cycling or other forms of cardio into their running/workout plan? I've begun considering it ever since I started experiencing some knee pain a few weeks ago. I'm looking for a way to put less stress on my joints while still making progress on my 2 mile run time.

I've heard from some people that cycling is in no way beneficial to reducing your run time and can actually be counter-productive... Is there any truth to that statement? That doesn't make sense to me, but I'm fairly new to this.

If any of you include cycling, swimming, yoga etc. into your workout plan, could you please post your routine? Any help would be appreciated.
    When I had some little tears in a ligament in my foot, I was told to bike ride (real is better than stationary) or elliptical. I did fine on my next PT test, once off profile. My OSM broke three of her toes and road her bike ALOT up until her PT test when she could run again and her time was BETTER than before.

DON'T do P90X with a bad knee....EXCEPT the one for ripped abs, awesome and HARD core workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
      When I had some little tears in a ligament in my foot, I was told to bike ride (real is better than stationary) or elliptical. I did fine on my next PT test, once off profile. My OSM broke three of her toes and road her bike ALOT up until her PT test when she could run again and her time was BETTER than before.

DON'T do P90X with a bad knee....EXCEPT the one for ripped abs, awesome and HARD core workout.
      Which one? Ab Ripper? Or the Ab Extreme? I would agree about the other ones, even the Chest and Back has some workouts that would be bad on a bad knee. But the Yoga would be debatable (if you can bike, swim, or elliptical, shouldn't have issues with the yoga) and the stretch one aren't too bad for the knees, at least from what I've noticed.
      Last edited by FutureEngineer; April 11th, 2012, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post
        Because normally, when people don't have the $$$ to hire out to do said things, they do that kind of work normally just working in the yard, building a shed, digging a drainage ditch, going under the house to re-run their piping, etc. The "workout activities" I listed, are all daily activities a lot of people do on a daily/weekly routine. Not everyone has gas or electric heating, hense the firewood chopping being listed, etc.

Laborers, Plumbers, Carpenters, even Mechanics to labor work to that regard. (How heavy do you think the wheels on your HMMWV weigh? That Armored plate on your MRAP that had to be removed to access the engine? the headlight assembly to replace it?) I simply listed typical, everyday tasks. If you are afraid to injure yourself that much, I can't see how one could even push their lawnmower to mow the lawn. Or be worth anything at all in their own household.

That said, crossfit is good. I've enjoyed it.

Also, if you're using your back in anyway, or you feel anykind of stress or sensation in your back, you're doing it all wrong. Even shoveling, your legs should be the base of support, and you should have minimal twisting of the waist, and no stress on your back. In every exorsize I listed, in no way should you be using your back.
        I wasn't thinking of replying, until you started adding on to this post. Allow me to make this clearer.

The tasks you've listed do have an exercise component to them. No one disputes that. But unless you work in one of these trades, you don't do these tasks often enough for it to be of any real benefit to you.

I do happen to know how much a HMMWV tire weighs. About eighty pounds. I've spent a lot more time around them than you have. But not being a mechanic, I don't work with them a lot. I have mechanics for that. I work in an office. So I have to stay in shape the old-fashioned way: by doing exercise that's designed to improve your fitness.

It's not that I'm afraid to injure myself. I just don't believe in performing tasks that pay out so little benefit for so high a risk. I was mostly looking at your idea for pulling a riding lawnmower around, etc. If you can't see how someone might possibly severely injure themselves and torpedo their military careers before they even start, then I don't really know what else to say to you on this topic.

Comment

Oh, and so I don't in trouble for not contributing....

P90X
          Lol, Chris you are steadily rising as one of my favorites on here.

Comment

My wife's thinking about jumping on the P90X train, and I'm guessing I'll be along for the painful ride.

But she's also thinking about mixing it with the cardio from Insanity.

Should be a pretty interesting program.

Comment

Originally posted by Daric Wade View Post
              My wife's thinking about jumping on the P90X train, and I'm guessing I'll be along for the painful ride.

P90X2 is around the corner, may wish to look into that prior to investing into P90X.

TBH, what I've noticed when I did Insanity (I have: P90X, Insanity-60 Day total body workout, and insanity Asylum 30 day sports conditioning) is quite a few of exorsizes were working roughly the same gorups, what really changed between the two is the pace of something,s and the order in which they are set-up in the calenders.

The real kicker is financially supporting the diet that goes with them. If you and your wife want more of a variety, might want to alternate with crossfit routines mixed in.

But the Diet Planner, All three come with completely different dieting routines. Which it would be highly impracticle to mix and match them, or alternate between days/weeks/months.

That is the biggest thing you and your wife may have issues with, is choice of meal plan, and financially supporting it.
              Last edited by FutureEngineer; April 11th, 2012, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daric Wade View Post

Same with my fiance and me; we're going to do the P90X together at home because we looked horrific taking a cardio class together at the gym...lol We both have found though that we work out more if the other one is too, either out of guilt or motivation.

Eating healthy is not expensive AT ALL, (you do not have to do some gimmick plan) just read labels, avoid alot of processed junk and I've found eating BREAKFAST (I'm not just saying this as a mom) and 5 smaller meals througout the day gets the metabolism working.

Is Insanity with the one Susan Powters?? The one with the blonde buzz cut? Or did I just REEAALLY date myself?

Just remember, the couple that will suffer together will get buffer together!!
                Last edited by Chris36; April 12th, 2012, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Is Insanity with the one Susan Powters?? The one with the blonde buzz cut? Or did I just REEAALLY date myself?
                  Insanity is with "Sean T" or "shawn T" (not sure how he spells it)

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                    Insanity is with "Sean T" or "shawn T" (not sure how he spells it)
                    Is that Shaun T. Diddy?? I thought he was a rapper....

Comment

Same with my fiance and me; we're going to do the P90X together at home because we looked horrific taking a cardio class together at the gym...lol We both have found though that we work out more if the other one is too, either out of guilt or motivation.

Eating healthy is not expensive AT ALL, (you do not have to do some gimmick plan) just read labels, avoid alot of processed junk and I've found eating BREAKFAST (I'm not just saying this as a mom) and 5 smaller meals througout the day gets the metabolism working.

Just remember, the couple that will suffer together will get buffer together!!
                      Lol My wife is pretty good with meal plans. I'm not. So I defer to her.

Comment

Working...
                      X