Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Situation

Hello, I just joined the forum.

I am a 17 year old from Missouri and considering joining the guard after high school. It would mostly be for the help with college tuition and learning career skills such as teamwork and management skills. I plan on getting a degree in forestry.

The problem is that I don't know if I am military material. I'm completely flat footed, I don't know if that is a reason to fail a physical anymore. I am VERY skinny, I weigh 125 lbs and I'm almost 6 foot tall, I just can't seem to gain weight. I am out of shape, especially when it comes to running, my last mile was 11 minutes. So my problem is that I need to gain weight AND start running before I am even eligible, then I may not pass the physical because of my feet. Thank you for any advice.

Re: My Situation

Anyone got advice for this guy?

I can't speak to whether or not flat feet are still an automatic DQ.

But as far as running goes, the best way to get better at running is to run. BUT, since you're underweight and looking to gain, you need to start ramping up calories. If you're burning more calories than you're taking in, you won't gain weight.

Drink lots of water, eat five times a day, and consider starting on a protein complex of some kind. GNC will have lots of options in that regard.

I also had to gain weight to enlist. I'm two inches shorter than you but I was about 125 as well. Today I'm a happy 162 because my metabolism has started its long, slow decline.

Comment

The main question on your feet is whether or not you can wear normal shoes. The answer to that question will pretty much tell you if you're disqualified or not.

As for gaining weight, unfortunately, I'm no help there, as I have the opposite problem.

Comment

I do not believe being flat-footed is a DQ anymore, at least it wasn't for me. I am also very flat footed, wear Rx arch supports every day. Passed MEPS fine and when you go to get issued your tennis shoes at BCT, they look at how your foot hits the floor to make sure you get a pair with a proper arch depending on your needs.

Unless it impedes your walking or you can't pass the 'underwear olympics' because of them, I think you'll be fine.

Comment

No, I have no special shoes or arch supports and I have no problem walking for long periods of time. It just looks really bad, I had surgery on it as a young kid. I really don't look forward to running but I guess I should start soon to get ready. I still haven't told my parents yet.

Comment

You will need to start eating A LOT to gain weight. Adding muscle doesn't hurt either so starting a weight lifting regiment will be beneficial. I recommend talking or working with a fitness professional so you can start your training the right way so you don't injure yourself. If you want to improve your running you will have to run, period. But again take it slow and progressively increase. Google couch to 5k. You have some time to gain weight and get in better shape but you need to start TODAY to be successfull.

Comment

My opinion is that it will be very difficult to work on your cardio (running) and gain weight. I would say gain weight/get stronger first, then worry about the cardio second.

Consider a beginner weight lifting program like Starting Strength. It's designed for novice lifters or people with no prior lifting experience, like you. If you follow the program and eat a lot you'll gain weight. You could also combine drinking a gallon of milk per day (GOMAD) with a program like Starting Strength. You'll definitely pack some pounds on that way.

If those aren't options, you can go to GNC or someplace like that and look for weight gainer supplements.

Honestly, the best thing you can do for yourself is eat a LOT and lift weights 3 days a week.

Comment

I know three people who are on Active Duty who are Officers and all three have flat feet.

Comment

I would venture to say that your eating habits and your poor endurance are linked, most likely. In the absence of details, you probably aren't eating enough to put on any muscle, and you can't run if you don't have muscle. As a hard gainer, I've learned that diet is key to putting on weight.

If I were you, this is how I'd start:

3 square meals per day.
                  In between meals, drink a protein shake. 2 or 3 per day.
                  Drink lots of water. 8 glasses a day was shown to be a myth; down several large glasses of water per day.
                  Stick to a strict running regimen.

You should see improvements quickly, I'd think.

Comment

Wow, that running program looks very simple, thanks. I have some very basic lifting experience but I start to fall out of routine when something comes up... a very bad habbit to get into. I started drinking whey protein about a week ago, will that help?

Comment

See if you can find a Crossfit gym in your area, especially one that might have some kind of lifting program. I just started Crossfit and its great for getting into shape, but there is a guy at my gym who I knew in high school who was a real skinny guy...now his arms are larger than my head and its all from Crossfit/weight lifting.

Comment

Yep crossfit, or join mma gym. I would numbe 1: STOP tearing yourself down if others have made it, you will to ; don't be your worst enemy......

Comment

Crossfit is great and I do it myself but I don't recommend it for a beginner. I know many crossfit trainers will say they can taylor the workout for any level but having been a personal trainer myself for a few years I will be the first to say you have to crawl before you can run. Jumping right into intense crossfit workouts can easily result in injury. I'm having horrible visions of a novice trying to do Fran and destroying themselves. Just focus on the basics and the fundamentals. After a while once you gain a good base then start to move to something a little more advanced.

Comment

It can be done, I do it in my garage and two weeks of it I get in dam good shape its the motivation that hurts most people.

Comment

Working...
                            X