X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Fat vs Height/Weight Requirements

Hey everybody, kinda new to the forums/the whole Army National Guard process (still in application phase, taking ASVAB tomorrow) so try to go easy on me.

Physically/chemically speaking not everybody can have the same body fat and height/weight requirements, is one more important then the other?

I'm 5'5 and 170 lbs (max limit is 163) but I'm still losing weight (I'm putting in the time and effort in and I told my recruiter this), will I still be able to do the RSP program even though I don't hit the exact numbers and I'm trying/making improvements? Same goes for body fat %.

Also, any advice/tips to lose waist inches besides cardio/dieting?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Re: Body Fat vs Height/Weight Requirements

Originally posted by Tiger93 View Post
    Hey everybody, kinda new to the forums/the whole Army National Guard process (still in application phase, taking ASVAB tomorrow) so try to go easy on me.

Physically/chemically speaking not everybody can have the same body fat and height/weight requirements, is one more important then the other?

I'm 5'5 and 170 lbs (max limit is 163) but I'm still losing weight (I'm putting in the time and effort in and I told my recruiter this), will I still be able to do the RSP program even though I don't hit the exact numbers and I'm trying/making improvements? Same goes for body fat %.

Also, any advice/tips to lose waist inches besides cardio/dieting?

Thanks in advance for replying.
    Welcome to the real world. Not sure if you've taken human anatomy/physiology, but what you speak is true. It is virtually impossible to put everyone under umbrella terms in regards to fitness etc. Especially since recently, doctors have become "baffled" about people who're over 40-70lbs above ht/wt but are physically out performing the more "fitter" individuals. Such as those in the construction trades, and other labor industries.

ht/wt standards also fail to put muscle mass into the equation, and fail to accurately show how the human body functions, towards how human beings are built. Taking 100 men of the same height, not one of them will be equal in proportions, clothing sizes, and so on.

You can even take two men at the same height, and same weight; one of them will be far better shape than the other. This is why many Law Enforcement, and Government Agencies, and Civil Service Orgenizations are doing away with HT/WT standards, and shifting toward BMI (Body Mass Index) Standards, and Physical Performance testing, and medical physical to determine overall health of the subjects body.

I'm quite amazed the military uses ht/wt to determine physical fitness, when it's horribly flawed. BMI is a much better measurement, accompanied with a physical fitness test, and physical examination. as someone who's studied Human Anatomy and Physiology, with limited Physical Education, think stronger and think thinner.

Not kidding, it's been clinically proven people who think they are strong, and thinner, actually show development of muscle mass, and loss of body fat. Just by consistantly thinking about it. Just as it's been clinically proven men who believe they are faster runners and always become faster everytime they run, it has been proven they can run faster than their previous performances. It's all about the human brain in how it influences the rest of the body. If you want to lose weight, get your head in the game. Literally, it's all about attitude.

I've lost over 60lbs so far, and just need to lose 30 more pounds, which I have two years to lose it, so not an issue there at all. But consider what I've said.

Comment

Working...
    X