X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help??

First I should say that I thank anyone who reads this. It means a lot. Secondly, I want to say why I am requesting help. I am not as healthy as I should be. But that is not the reason why I want to join. My grandfather was in WW II, went through D-day, someone I really admired. I want to follow in his footsteps the best I can. I feel wrong that I am not doing my duty to my country just because of my weight. I want to lose at least around a 100 pounds, and build some muscle.

I been wanting to do this for a while, since I was young, but everyone disapproves. It's so hard to try to lose weight for this, without any words of encouragement. When they just try to knock you down every time. I tried to find something else I wanted to do in life, to make everyone happy, but it just didn't work out. I am not doing my duty, and I feel like I am putting shame to not only my grandfather, but myself as well.

So I am here to ask some advise. How can I lose this weight? I would love to lose all this within like, 10 months? Be able to join around December? Maybe sooner? Lose 12.5 ponds a month?

I figured that I will cut all pop and only drink water and maybe milk? I will eat fruit like maybe 2 apples for breakfast with maybe a banana? Lunch eat a salad and grilled chicken with no dressing, maybe spread lemon juice from a slice of lemon over it instead? Then for supper eat like grilled chicken, skinless of course. Maybe tuna or something? Use hot sauce for flavoring. Maybe garlic as well?

But working out I don't know. Like I don't know what I could do to lose this weight? Could I possibly do this without a gym because that's expensive.

Thank you so much for reading. God bless.

Re: help??

If you can't go to a gym, go for a power walk every day. Walk for an hour EVERY DAY.

Comment

There are many things you can do, and never use I dont have Gym Access as an excuse. You can exercise in one spot or go outside. The hard part is making yourself do it. It wont come natural and you will have to make it a routine. Its easy to put it off and make excuses, but you dont make any progress that way. I encourage you to look at this as an overall evaluation of your health. Go get a physical, find out where your BP is, your Cholesterol, BF%, see if you have any health problems you might not have been aware of. This will give you a good baseline of where you start and were you end up. Then 6mo down the road, after all the hard work, get another physical to see what progress you have made.

Now, go give yourself a basic fitness test. Make it up, something that you can do. Walk a mile, and do as many pushups as you can from your knees. Do these for time. In 60 days, test yourself again. Its little progress, you wont see big changes, but over time, you will be faster and do more.

Your diet is the main thing. Giving up Soda is good, but thats not even a drop in the bucket. Eating completely healthy can be expensive but it doesnt have to be. Vegall, is canned veggies, with zero fat and very low calories and costs less than a dollar. Mix it with some rice, also very cheap, and a can of tuna. You now have a meal that will fill you up and cost less than $3 and you will have some leftovers to cook the next meal. Cereal is a unsung hero. Not the Capt Crunch, but the big bag of generic cheerios. A few bowls of them with some skim or 1% milk, will fill your gut, give you fiber and low calories and keep money in your wallet. One thing you need to watch is your sodium and sugar intake. Take that extra few seconds and read the Nutrition Label on every item and see exactly what you are eating. Lean Ground turkey, is cheap, high in protein and low in fat. Next is water, make it your friend, always have a water with you all the time, it will make you drink it. You dont have to buy water bottles, a cup and a faucet will work just fine. Portions is also key, keep them small, start out by just eating a normal plate and NOT GOING FOR SECONDS. Work up to smaller meals, Breakfast, lunch and dinner are fine with a healthy snack thrown it will do the trick. It will take a few weeks to get used too. See what works for you, just read the labels and dont eat til you are full, but you have to eat. Learn to eat the correct things.

Any exercise is good exercise, no matter what it is. At your point, just get the body moving. Dont do anything that will cause injury. Walk before you run, its the small baby steps that help you build on the future weeks to come. Set realistic goals, not hard but something that does require effort to achieve, then add too them when you meet that goal. And last, have patience, its not easy, but the pay off, is a better you in all aspects. Good Luck and remember it can be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by D_the_hunter View Post
        First I should say that I thank anyone who reads this. It means a lot. Secondly, I want to say why I am requesting help. I am not as healthy as I should be. But that is not the reason why I want to join. My grandfather was in WW II, went through D-day, someone I really admired. I want to follow in his footsteps the best I can. I feel wrong that I am not doing my duty to my country just because of my weight. I want to lose at least around a 100 pounds, and build some muscle.

I been wanting to do this for a while, since I was young, but everyone disapproves. It's so hard to try to lose weight for this, without any words of encouragement. When they just try to knock you down every time. I tried to find something else I wanted to do in life, to make everyone happy, but it just didn't work out. I am not doing my duty, and I feel like I am putting shame to not only my grandfather, but myself as well.

So I am here to ask some advise. How can I lose this weight? I would love to lose all this within like, 10 months? Be able to join around December? Maybe sooner? Lose 12.5 ponds a month?

I figured that I will cut all pop and only drink water and maybe milk? I will eat fruit like maybe 2 apples for breakfast with maybe a banana? Lunch eat a salad and grilled chicken with no dressing, maybe spread lemon juice from a slice of lemon over it instead? Then for supper eat like grilled chicken, skinless of course. Maybe tuna or something? Use hot sauce for flavoring. Maybe garlic as well?

But working out I don't know. Like I don't know what I could do to lose this weight? Could I possibly do this without a gym because that's expensive.

Thank you so much for reading. God bless.
        Step 1) Get a copy of the P90X videos and the diet guide.

Step 2) Do it.

Step 3) Join Military.

Comment

Step 2) Do it.

Step 3) Join Military.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post

Step 2) Do it.

Step 3) Join Military.
            P90X is great but awfully intense for someone just starting out. I would not suggest it to someone that it's just beginning and is carrying an extra 100 lbs. you are just asking for injuries. Just my opinion

Comment

Someone with 100 extra pounds needs some professional attention before he jumps into any sort of major change to fitness or diet. An hour of walking per day could ruin his knees -- readers should imagine themselves ruck marching for an hour daily with a 100 lb rucksack. Yes, plenty of our Soldiers do that (and more) every day in Afghanistan, but they didn't just leap up one day and do that, they built up to that over a period of time.

Please have this conversation with your doctor before you make radical changes in your lifestyle, so that you do it in a way that is healthy and sustainable. Best wishes.

Comment

Jillian Michaels videos are very popular and highly rated on Amazon. They are meant to get you comfortable with getting into shape, instead of a quick trip to being ripped. You sure as heck do not need to do anything like P90X to be prepared for basic training.

You cannot change physical self overnight. But you can change your attitude/motivation about getting there overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                  P90X is great but awfully intense for someone just starting out. I would not suggest it to someone that it's just beginning and is carrying an extra 100 lbs. you are just asking for injuries. Just my opinion
                  PX90x does start off at the basic level. You are not forced to follow the video But with any exercise program; ensure the clear it with your medical doctor.

Comment

Google Pavel Tsatsouline and check out Dragon Door

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                      There is validity to your statement. There is a fitness test at the beginning of the program that accesses if you are ready. If you are not it recommends another program that then progresses into P90X. But basically, if you are following the guides it will guide you where you need to go.

Comment

I don't know if you have any health conditions, but at the start of any program when you have excess weight I would recommend taking it easy, and having realistic expectations. You can work out 15 hours a day and if your diet isn't right you will spin your wheels. This does NOT mean starving yourself. Starving yourself will actually cause you to gain MORE weight. You don't necessarily need to eat 5-6 meals a day like a lot of programs suggest. If you have the time great, if you don't 3 meals will work fine, it's what's included in those meals that matters.

While you're trying to lose this much weight rapidly keep as much sugar, (natural or processed) out of your diet. You can add them back in later once you've dropped the majority of the weight, but I wouldn't recommend it right now. You will get most of the vitamins you need from your food if you are eating correctly, if you feel you need a multivitamin select a quality one.

While trying to lose weight balance your protein carbs and fat. You'll want to keep your carbs lower, but not too low, and compensate with good fats and extra protein for calorie intake. But, when it comes down to it right now for you it's calories in, calories out. You need to be burning WAY more than you are taking in for the type of goal you have. Realize that initially when you change your diet and start working out you will drop ten pounds rather quickly, then it will slow down. This may become discouraging, but don't let it. The initial weight loss is usually water, less food being in the system, more specifically less carbs, and from being active. Then you start working on the real wait.

Start out with high speed walking run while you can, I would start intervals as soon as you feel you can though. There is plenty of information on HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) out on the internet. This burns fat and weight better than static running. You will need stamina for static running for the military; however HIIT will build that stamina and actually increase your static running pace.

Insanity is a workout that you watch on a TV, or a computer and do the workout wherever you are. It may be somewhat discouraging at first, because if you have 100lbs to lose you will not be able to do much of what is being asked of you, but you do what you can rest when you need and continue on. I would recommend getting your cardio work in a bit first to build yourself up a little bit before you start something like that, because it can be pretty intense.

But search around for HIIT workouts. Those should help you lose weight while starting to build strength. Primarily you first need to lose weight though, so don't get distracted by doing a bunch of weights in the gym. Body weight exercises are enough for now, pushups, sit-ups, pull-ups, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                          There is validity to your statement. There is a fitness test at the beginning of the program that accesses if you are ready. If you are not it recommends another program that then progresses into P90X. But basically, if you are following the guides it will guide you where you need to go.
                          yea Tony has p90 and p90x and something like p10 . But I agree and have seen plenty of people go from serious overweight to within standards on p90x. Yes it might take longer than 90 days. But in over 6 years of recruiting I have only had 1 person ever come in overweight and actually enlisted. He lost 115 pounds in 10 months. When I first met him he scored a 70 (yes a 70) on the APFT. This past summer he graduated 11B with a 275.

My success story.

Comment

You can also go on the paleo diet, and go to crossfit.com. do some research on what the terminology means, do the crossfit workout of the day scaled to what you can handle, or research other crossfit workouts. At this point though, you just have to worry about shedding pounds. Paleo diet alone will do that. Raise your heartrate. Flutter kicks are a lot easier on the knees.

Paleo in a nutshell:

No grains, no processed food, no dairy, no legumes (basically, beans), so youre eating fruits, vegetables, eggs, fish, meat, nuts etc. The less legs it has, the better. If a caveman doesnt recognize it as food, stay away. If you can stick to it, you can pretty much eat as much as you want and be fine. Also, the more salmon the better.

Comment

Working...
                            X