X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sit up issue

Was wondering if anybody has started out with problems with situps. I should be going back to swear in soon so im starting to give the sit ups and push ups a go. I work out at the local gym all the time, dont work out core to much. Mostly upper body and cardio. I know when it comes to running the 2 mile I will be fine and push ups I will be ok, but sit ups I seriously just feel like I cant do them. With somebody holding my feet I struggle to get 10. Ive read that possibly I wasent doing them properly, but I dont see how I can mess up a sit up.

So my question is, are sit ups really this challenging when you first start doing them? Why does it feel like it hurts my back more then it does my abs? Ive also tried to do a few sets of them but it seems like the 2nd set I have nothing left to give. Its very frustrating.

Re: Sit up issue

Originally posted by Carolina4eva View Post
    So my question is, are sit ups really this challenging when you first start doing them? Why does it feel like it hurts my back more then it does my abs? Ive also tried to do a few sets of them but it seems like the 2nd set I have nothing left to give. Its very frustrating.
    Well yes when you are begining any new exercise you are not use to it is only natural that it will be tough to get use too. Second the reason why it feels like you are hurting your back is because thats just what it is. Sit ups are NOT an ab exercise but they are a lower back/hip flexor exercise. My personal advice would be to work your lower back and do it very easily. Take a Kettlebell or if you can't get a Kettlebell than use a ******** and so swings with them.

Swings are performed as shown in the picture below

Click image for larger version

Name:	c63ec42e23268895ed9a88cb5c9b1617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	325

You could do it two handed, one arm or double swings if you want. I say to do this because you WILL work your lower back in a SAFE way that won't hurt you. I know for a fact that this all works because that what I did. Hope this helps!

Comment

Was wondering if anybody has started out with problems with situps. I should be going back to swear in soon so im starting to give the sit ups and push ups a go. I work out at the local gym all the time, dont work out core to much. Mostly upper body and cardio. I know when it comes to running the 2 mile I will be fine and push ups I will be ok, but sit ups I seriously just feel like I cant do them. With somebody holding my feet I struggle to get 10. Ive read that possibly I wasent doing them properly, but I dont see how I can mess up a sit up.

Also if you want you can go to this messageboard to get alot of great workout ideas. http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/kettle...tioning-forum/

Comment

So ive been doing situps for just over a week now, hoping to start seeing the smallest improvement and honestly im not seeing anything and its becoming very frustrating. Most of the time I can not do more than 10 sit ups at a time, I have to stop after 10 a rest for a while. I have tried to do a few without having my feet under something and I can not even come close. Its like I feel like my brain isint sending the right signals because I Have no idea how to sit up without my feet being held down. WITH my feet being held down ive also tried to do situps very slowly to actually feel my abs working and I can not do that either. The only way I can do a situp it seems is when I throw my body up as hard as I can.

Do ANYBODY have explinations or tips that could maybe help me? This is one of the most frustrating things ive ever delt with. I dont feel like im somebody who is overweight of out of shape...

Any advice would be very helpful

Comment

Read the regulations at the provided link to get an understanding on the proper form of the sit-up.

Also, a suggestion to improve will to do incline situps. Its with the bench positioned diagonally so you strengthen your core.

I do situps every night to improve and it does work with repititions.

Comment

my post needs approval

Well before you read my approved post, go to page 204 in the below link. Understand the proper form.

http://www.apft.net/FM21-20.pdf

Comment

Just keep trying. It took me 2 years to be able to do situps without somebody holding my feet. No joke. Keep at it and eventually you'll be good at them. Luckily somebody holds your feet for the APFT.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                my post needs approval

Well before you read my approved post, go to page 204 in the below link. Understand the proper form.

http://www.apft.net/FM21-20.pdf

Just a heads up...the 21-20 is no longer in affect. It has been superceded by the TC 3-22.20

Comment

Typically someone will hold your feet, or you should brace your feet unders something while doing situps. When I'm at home I stick my feet under my dresser. At the gym usually you can find something to brace your feet under, even slapping a 45 lb plate on top of your feet. If everything (hips, back, etc)are strong, yes, you can do situps without someone holding your feet, but you're engaging a lot of muscles that weren't really intended to be used during a situp.

I honestly think one of my weak points are my hip flexors (which I'm working on strengthening) and I can turn out 75 situps in just under 2 minutes right now and I'm 34. I have worked out regularly since I was 15 though.
                  Last edited by CAllen; February 1st, 2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                    Just a heads up...the 21-20 is no longer in affect. It has been superceded by the TC 3-22.20
                    Oh I know. I just remember that the 21-20 provided a good description in proper sit-ups. I have not even looked at the TC as of yet. My board days are well behind me .

Comment

So ive been doing situps for just over a week now, hoping to start seeing the smallest improvement and honestly im not seeing anything and its becoming very frustrating. Most of the time I can not do more than 10 sit ups at a time, I have to stop after 10 a rest for a while. I have tried to do a few without having my feet under something and I can not even come close. Its like I feel like my brain isint sending the right signals because I Have no idea how to sit up without my feet being held down. WITH my feet being held down ive also tried to do situps very slowly to actually feel my abs working and I can not do that either. The only way I can do a situp it seems is when I throw my body up as hard as I can.

Do ANYBODY have explinations or tips that could maybe help me? This is one of the most frustrating things ive ever delt with. I dont feel like im somebody who is overweight of out of shape...

Any advice would be very helpful
                      http://www.twohundredsitups.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                        Oh I know. I just remember that the 21-20 provided a good description in proper sit-ups. I have not even looked at the TC as of yet. My board days are well behind me .
                        lol...shame shame sir. I actually get kind of a sick pleasure correcting units when I see them doing PT according to the FM and then have to correct them and let them know it's not authorized anymore. They kind of get the deer in headlights stare, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                          lol...shame shame sir. I actually get kind of a sick pleasure correcting units when I see them doing PT according to the FM and then have to correct them and let them know it's not authorized anymore. They kind of get the deer in headlights stare, lol.
                          It is just because to many units are not established enough to start PRT. Most units have little to no one trained in PRT. Really the only units that are would be RSP and RRB.

Comment

So its been almost 3 weeks now that I have been working on sit ups trying to see some improvement but im not seeing anything and its becoming very discouraging. Last week I saw a fitness trainer at my local gym and he told me the only thing he saw wrong was that I am using to much hip flexor when doing sit ups. Ive been trying to correct it but I just dont know anymore, im out of ideas. I can barely do 10 sit ups at a time...and when it comes to the 2nd and 3rd set I get like 5 or 6. I just dont understand it.

Comment

So its been almost 3 weeks now that I have been working on sit ups trying to see some improvement but im not seeing anything and its becoming very discouraging. Last week I saw a fitness trainer at my local gym and he told me the only thing he saw wrong was that I am using to much hip flexor when doing sit ups. Ive been trying to correct it but I just dont know anymore, im out of ideas. I can barely do 10 sit ups at a time...and when it comes to the 2nd and 3rd set I get like 5 or 6. I just dont understand it.
                              What has your routine for them been? I mean how many days a week have you been doing them plus what are the sets and reps you've been doing?

Comment

Working...
                              X