X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sit up issue

Sit indian style on the floor. Leaving your feet and legs how they are, lay back on your back. Do situps. This forces you to use your abs and not your hip flexors.

Get in the traditional situp position. Push your ankles back until they touch your butt. Do situps. This is incredibly harder than the 90 degrees allowed by the army.

Do 100 per day.

Do flutter kicks.

When it comes PT test time, relax out to the 90 degrees allowed and pin your chin to your chest. Remember your shoulder blades have to touch and you have to break the line on the rise. There's no reason for your head or anything higher to touch when going down, and no reason to go any farther forward than you have to going up. Thats extra work for no reason.

Comment

Well I was following the 200 situp plan but at the end of week two I started failing to get my sets, after that is when I met with a personal trainer. But I always try and Do a few sets of 10 everynight or when I'm at the gym, hoping I could work my way up to 15,20 and so on but
      Sometimes I can't even get 10. Also when doing Sit ups I never get
      The burn in my abs, it's always lower down around my hip flexors

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina4eva View Post
        Well I was following the 200 situp plan but at the end of week two I started failing to get my sets, after that is when I met with a personal trainer. But I always try and Do a few sets of 10 everynight or when I'm at the gym, hoping I could work my way up to 15,20 and so on but
        Sometimes I can't even get 10. Also when doing Sit ups I never get
        The burn in my abs, it's always lower down around my hip flexors
        Well on also for the other stuff I stated before about the swing you can do the swing with a d u m b bell because the swing will work your lower back and hip flexor. Ask your trainer about it, trust me it works! Also the reason your not getting a burn in your abs and a burn in your hip flexor is because the sit up isn't an ab exercise and its a lower back and hip flexor exercise. Thats why your feeling what you feel now so thats normal.

if you do the swing take a weight that you can perform at least 20 reps with and do the following 5 X 20. Meaning 5 sets of 20 reps each with resting only a max of a min inbetween each set. When you do this do it on the days that you run because your also working your legs.

Comment

Also since your going to need work your hip flexor make sure to stretch as well http://www.stayfitbug.com/wp-content...08/strecch.jpg

Comment

If you can't feel the burn in your abs, you need to visualize them working more. Concentrate on using your abs and you will. you can also train for situps with other abwork like hanging knee raises, crunches, and running.

Comment

So when you say you'll be fine in the 2 mile run & push-ups does this mean you can perform them according to the Army's minimum PT standards? Which means at the least, you can run 2 miles in 17 minutes and are able to correctly complete 36 push-ups?

If you can do this, I canít see how you cannot do more than 10 or 20 sit-ups in a row? Iíve been getting ready for basic and the first time I did sit-ups (I havenít did them in years nor do I perform any type of core work-outs) I did the bear minimum to pass which was 42. The thing Iím struggling with is trying to get my run times down Ė I average about 10 minute miles. I couldnít do 36 push-ups at first (first try was 25) but after doing them for two weeks I can now do the minimum of 36. Iím in my 30ís and havenít worked on my cardio in a few years so I knew the running was going to be hard. But if you can easily do at least 30+ push-ups and can run under 10 minute miles, you should be able to complete at least 40 straight push-ups. Iím baffled? Try working with a medicine ball, there are lots of good core work-outs for those. If you have a gym membership or go to college, try the ab machine, it only targets abís. However, no matter what you do when you work on sit-ups your lower back will hurt at first because you are straining so hard. Another thing is to try actual crunches, donít go all the way up (donít raise your neck above your spine). Anyways, good luck! If you can run 2 miles under the standard time, youíve got the hardest part down!

Comment

Originally posted by Slater View Post
                So when you say you'll be fine in the 2 mile run & push-ups does this mean you can perform them according to the Army's minimum PT standards? Which means at the least, you can run 2 miles in 17 minutes and are able to correctly complete 36 push-ups?

If you can do this, I canít see how you cannot do more than 10 or 20 sit-ups in a row? Iíve been getting ready for basic and the first time I did sit-ups (I havenít did them in years nor do I perform any type of core work-outs) I did the bear minimum to pass which was 42. The thing Iím struggling with is trying to get my run times down Ė I average about 10 minute miles. I couldnít do 36 push-ups at first (first try was 25) but after doing them for two weeks I can now do the minimum of 36. Iím in my 30ís and havenít worked on my cardio in a few years so I knew the running was going to be hard. But if you can easily do at least 30+ push-ups and can run under 10 minute miles, you should be able to complete at least 40 straight push-ups. Iím baffled? Try working with a medicine ball, there are lots of good core work-outs for those. If you have a gym membership or go to college, try the ab machine, it only targets abís. However, no matter what you do when you work on sit-ups your lower back will hurt at first because you are straining so hard. Another thing is to try actual crunches, donít go all the way up (donít raise your neck above your spine). Anyways, good luck! If you can run 2 miles under the standard time, youíve got the hardest part down!
                Basically its excatly what you said. This past weekend we did a 1-1-1. I got 47 pushups, did a mile in 6:15...but my sit ups I only got 17. I dont understand how I can do everything else so well but **** so bad at sit ups. Ive got to take the 2-2-2 next drill and I ship out for basic in April. So im starting to run out of time.

Comment

Solid push-ups going into basic, I bet you will max out which I think is 70 or 75 by end of basic. 6:15 minute mile? That's outstanding, if you have endurance you should be able to easily max out in the two mile as well. I'm very envious of your mile time I'd trade you 20+ sit ups for -2 minutes of you're mile time, lol! 17 sit ups allows you to ship to basic, I think you need 34 to pass in basic. You'll have to up your sit ups to 42 to pass your PT after basic. I would keep working on other core work-outs besides sit-ups; these will strengthen other areas connected to your core. Most people think that sit-ups are all about ab muscles, but its a lot about your back muscles, rib muscles, obliqueís, and even the muscles in your thighs. If you get these stronger (lunges, squats, bicycle kicks, mountain climbers, supermanís, burpees, various crunches, leg pull-ups) then sit-ups will come much more easy. Remember to do sets with rest between for any ab / core workout. Trying to do too many at once will only hurt you in the long run. 8 sit ups / 60 sec rest / 10 sit ups / 60 sec rest / 8 sit ups / 60 sec rest / 6 sit-ups is better than 32 sit ups straight. Do these every other day, increasing each rep by one. After about 4 weeks, you should be able to do at least 30+ which will get you close to basic minimum of 34, not to mention the fact that all of the stuff in basic will get you at least 15 to 20 more sit-ups more than when you arrived. This might get you to 45 or 50 by end of basic. So with your push ups, runs, and sit ups, your total score could be 245 (180 is needed to pass) 245 is really good, I knew some guys headed to Special Forces and Ranger school who could barely get a 250. Keeping working at it and you'll get there!

Comment

Working...
                  X