Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being able to customizing your rifle? Rules about customizing your rifle?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being able to customizing your rifle? Rules about customizing your rifle?

I've heard from some guys you can customize your rifle, but they were Active Duty. Is it the same for National Guard? And I was wondering if they're are any do's and don't's of customizing your issue rifle? Like you can't replace ___ or add ___ or something to that effect.

I have list of things I'd like to get to replace/add. I just would like to to if I am able (I have a feeling you have to be permitted to by someone) and what can of rules apply, if any.

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Re: Being able to customizing your rifle? Rules about customizing your rifle?

When you get to your unit; talk to your team leader and armorer for details. Basically, its a no-go. But I have seen some people use their own butt stock on the M4 and sights and they were downrange.

If you will play with your unit weapon, once in a blue moon; don't mess with it.

Comment

I have been thinking about this same question lately Chief. Heading to Bagram in a few months with an M-4, and was considering brining a forward grip with me. Heh...I'm going to be "That Guy" and do it anyway...I just wondered if there was a specific prohibition.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        I have been thinking about this same question lately Chief. Heading to Bagram in a few months with an M-4, and was considering brining a forward grip with me. Heh...I'm going to be "That Guy" and do it anyway...I just wondered if there was a specific prohibition.
        On my last deployment, one of the COs in the BN had a spiffy M4 with all the gadgets (geardo), the small/ligher flak vest, personal NODs and what not. Just wanted to go on outside the wire missions with QRF seeking the CAB. He caused so much talk on his behalf and earned the cognomen of "Captain America".

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
          We were issued forward grips. For the most part it is a commanders call, and as long as you don't go crazy most don't care. I had a couple of guys go out and buy the bipods and flashlight mounts. The only time I have seen a CDR have a problem was, when this kid in one of our sister companies decided to paint his weapon.

Comment

I say save it until you've got a mission. I feel like that was the ONLY time I would ever keep the same rifle for a long period of time. Makes the investment better since you'll be with your weapon all the time and be shooing it more often.

The only "geardo" thing I did was buy a Blackhawk tactical vest. I didn't feel like the standard issue LBE was comfortable or practical for a tall lanky guy like me as it put all the weight on my shoulders. The vest was a great $100+ investment and made time there more enjoyable. Unfortunately, once body armor became standard equipment, the vest was incapable of fitting over it so I had to get something else. This time I went cheaper and looked up Airsoft gear on ebay. This is something I recommend to others who don't want to shell out a ton of money for brand name.
            Last edited by SteveLord; January 14th, 2013, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Thank y'all. I wasn't going to go too overboard. I was hoping to get to go to the SDM course and get the rifle and just getting a lighter/better stock and rail system and back up iron sights.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                We were issued forward grips. For the most part it is a commanders call, and as long as you don't go crazy most don't care. I had a couple of guys go out and buy the bipods and flashlight mounts. The only time I have seen a CDR have a problem was, when this kid in one of our sister companies decided to paint his weapon.
                What's the big deal? It's going to be scraped off when he cleans the weapon anyways. (sarcasm.) Cleaning your rifle to white glove inspection standard actually does more damage than firing the darn thing.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend anyone go crazy and buy stuff for their rifles unless you were doing missions a lot. First, you look stupid and people laugh. Maybe not in front of you but they do. Second, anything that has the potential of affecting how the weapon functions. Changing out the stock, I'd even say using a different sight would be a No Go. The other problem with rifles, is most of that crap has to be taken off to put it back into the racks.

Most of the RFI equipment I've seen issued to units going to AFG is pretty decent. If you feel you must buy something, a holster if you carry a pistol (I like the Black Hawk Serpas), a decent LED flash light (Surefire), 3 point sling if they aren't issued or a nice cleaning kit.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                    I wouldn't recommend anyone go crazy and buy stuff for their rifles unless you were doing missions a lot. First, you look stupid and people laugh. Maybe not in front of you but they do. Second, anything that has the potential of affecting how the weapon functions. Changing out the stock, I'd even say using a different sight would be a No Go. The other problem with rifles, is most of that crap has to be taken off to put it back into the racks.

Most of the RFI equipment I've seen issued to units going to AFG is pretty decent. If you feel you must buy something, a holster if you carry a pistol (I like the Black Hawk Serpas), a decent LED flash light (Surefire), 3 point sling if they aren't issued or a nice cleaning kit.
                    +1. For the most part, the equipment issued is pretty nice. Basically, anything that cannot be attached to the Picatinny rails is a bad bet.

As for holsters, I prefer the Safariland ALS series. I'm a bit cautious about the Black Hawk Serpas because the unlocking mechanism is to press down on the side of the holster with your index finger. If someone applies the same force on the index finger while drawing the weapon, there's a greater chance for a negligent discharge. The ALS does not have this issue. Also, I personally like the pistol to ride on my hip (a bit higher than the typical leg rig). It's easier and faster to draw, easier to retain, and does not get in the way of swaying when running. Plus, I don't have monkey arms where my palm can touch the ground while standing.

If you're issued an M4, ditch the 3-point sling if you actually "use" your weapon. 3 point slings are great for a full length battle rifle such as the M16 series, but it's completely unnecessary on an M4. The best way to go is an adjustable 2 point sling such as a VTAC or Viking Tactical. Here's a video:

Last edited by Polo08816; January 19th, 2013, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                      +1. For the most part, the equipment issued is pretty nice. Basically, anything that cannot be attached to the Picatinny rails is a bad bet.

As for holsters, I prefer the Safariland ALS series. I'm a bit cautious about the Black Hawk Serpas because the unlocking mechanism is to press down on the side of the holster with your index finger. If someone applies the same force on the index finger while drawing the weapon, there's a greater chance for a negligent discharge. The ALS does not have this issue. Also, I personally like the pistol to ride on my hip (a bit higher than the typical leg rig). It's easier and faster to draw, easier to retain, and does not get in the way of swaying when running. Plus, I don't have monkey arms where my palm can touch the ground while standing.

If you're issued an M4, ditch the 3-point sling if you actually "use" your weapon. 3 point slings are great for a full length battle rifle such as the M16 series, but it's completely unnecessary on an M4. The best way to go is an adjustable 2 point sling such as a VTAC or Viking Tactical. Here's a video:

I've seen that sling on Ranger Joe's, I believe.

Thanks, guys. I'd rather not draw any attention and if I am able to deploy with a AD Unit, I don't that wannabe AD Guard guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
                        I've seen that sling on Ranger Joe's, I believe.

Thanks, guys. I'd rather not draw any attention and if I am able to deploy with a AD Unit, I don't that wannabe AD Guard guy.
                        Pick what works the best for YOU.

Comment

I have a VTAC sling and a forward grip for my M4. I want to swap out the stock for a Magpul version but was told "no" until I get to Afghanistan. Then things change pretty drastically. I was also told that the 10+ Pmags I have are also not authorized, which is stupid. Truth be told the CSM of the FOB who doesn't like the Pmags because they are "flashy" or not dress right dress with the standard mags is not rolling out with me on route clearance missions where I need to trust in the reliability of my M4, and one of the biggest things that effect reliability is the shitty issued mags. Anyway, as soon as I roll out the gate the Pmag goes in. On the FOB I will have the issued version.

You could put other accessories on the rail system like lights, lazers etc but unless it is actually going to be beneficial to your mission its just added weight and cumbersome bulk. For instance, I don't have any use for a light on my M4 because I won't be going on any raids. Same goes for an IR laser, its not going to benefit me at all.

Personal optics, we were told its a no go especially if you are already issued optics. Everyone in my unit has an optic be it an Aimpoint CCO(comp M4), ACOG, or M145. I can see how it would be an issue if joe snuffy tried to replace any of the above quality optics with a crappy $50 walmart red dot that loses its zero after firing 10 rounds. But if a soldier wants to swap his Aimpoint CCO with a personal bought ACOG or even an EOTEC with a magnifier I personally don't see the problem. It was hinted to me that once we get to A-stan its a go with personal optics as long as they are as good or better then the ones we are issued.

All the above being said, I have a ton of stuff I could have taken off my personal AR-15 at home and slapped it on my issued M4 during drill but there isn't a point in doing that because the rifle is only in my hands for 48-72 hours. Deployment is another story.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                            Pick what works the best for YOU.
                            Great advice, LT!

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
                              I have a VTAC sling and a forward grip for my M4. I want to swap out the stock for a Magpul version but was told "no" until I get to Afghanistan. Then things change pretty drastically. I was also told that the 10+ Pmags I have are also not authorized, which is stupid. Truth be told the CSM of the FOB who doesn't like the Pmags because they are "flashy" or not dress right dress with the standard mags is not rolling out with me on route clearance missions where I need to trust in the reliability of my M4, and one of the biggest things that effect reliability is the shitty issued mags. Anyway, as soon as I roll out the gate the Pmag goes in. On the FOB I will have the issued version.

You could put other accessories on the rail system like lights, lazers etc but unless it is actually going to be beneficial to your mission its just added weight and cumbersome bulk. For instance, I don't have any use for a light on my M4 because I won't be going on any raids. Same goes for an IR laser, its not going to benefit me at all.

Personal optics, we were told its a no go especially if you are already issued optics. Everyone in my unit has an optic be it an Aimpoint CCO(comp M4), ACOG, or M145. I can see how it would be an issue if joe snuffy tried to replace any of the above quality optics with a crappy $50 walmart red dot that loses its zero after firing 10 rounds. But if a soldier wants to swap his Aimpoint CCO with a personal bought ACOG or even an EOTEC with a magnifier I personally don't see the problem. It was hinted to me that once we get to A-stan its a go with personal optics as long as they are as good or better then the ones we are issued.

All the above being said, I have a ton of stuff I could have taken off my personal AR-15 at home and slapped it on my issued M4 during drill but there isn't a point in doing that because the rifle is only in my hands for 48-72 hours. Deployment is another story.
                              See, I'm a lot like you, Sarge.

Unless I get deployed, I won't do anything. As for optic/sights: Unless I get a crappy hand-me-down that is crapping out, I won't touch my optics. But I'd prefer an ACOG. If I do anything to my sights, it's back-up irons.

As for mags: I don't see the problem either. I've heard 50/50 on the issue mags. Some say they work fine and some say they misfeed a lot getting better mags is a must. I think I've seen reliability kits for issue metal mags to help with some of the problems.

And I really don't want any lights or lasers. I just really want good grip and stock and maybe upgrade the rails for lighter system with more rail space and if I do get a SDM position, a bi-pod.

Comment

Working...
                              X