Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do I shop for boots? (AOCS Bound in June)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I shop for boots? (AOCS Bound in June)

All I have are my boots from basic and they are very uncomfortable. I've heard many people's opinion about different types of boots, but is there any place (like a national chain store) that I can go and try some of these boots on or do I just have to guess and buy something online?
    If online is the only option, please give your opinion on the type of boots I should get (and specific sites) that will help with all of the rucking and running I have coming up really soon in AOCS.

Thanks!

Re: Where do I shop for boots? (AOCS Bound in June)

Originally posted by EdWelch View Post
    All I have are my boots from basic and they are very uncomfortable. I've heard many people's opinion about different types of boots, but is there any place (like a national chain store) that I can go and try some of these boots on or do I just have to guess and buy something online?
    If online is the only option, please give your opinion on the type of boots I should get (and specific sites) that will help with all of the rucking and running I have coming up really soon in AOCS.

Thanks!
    Depot USA -- They will have everything you need. If I were you I'd get a pair of Danner boots.

Comment

I survived Phase I at AMA in a pair of issue boots (broken in at BCT) and Altama Expospeeds, albeit I wish I had used some other boots. The Altamas were cheapos though and were totally destroyed after time spent at Pelham Range on LandNav. I basically threw both pairs away when I got back because they were so tore up.

There are a few brick & mortar stores where you can purchase boots, but they are pretty much localized to AD installations (i.e. Ranger Joes & Commando's at Ft. Benning, and US Patriot Tactical which has several locations). I bought a pair of the Nike SFBs right outside Ft. Jackson when I graduated BCT. I waited until AFTER Phase I to break them out though and I still use them regularly.

You'll want to rotate boots about every day at AOCS. You'll run a lot in the beginning, so something light like the Nike SFBs (my choice) or Rocky C4s are great for that and the general around garrison stuff. For rucking and the heavier stuff, I like/use the New Balance Tactical 453 (formerly OTB DesertLite) and I know a lot of guys that like the Rocky SV2s. Those are sure winners.

Socks are also just as important as boots IMHO, so invest in some good socks like FoxRiver (my personal fav since BCT), Wigwam, or Darn Tough....something that wicks the sweat off your feet and keeps the swelling down especially on the long rucks like 10 miles & up.

Comment

Thank you, sir. I appreciate the information.

Comment

Thank you, sir. I appreciate the information.
          Don't jinx it. Just Senior Officer Candidate for now, Sir comes in August (hopefully!).

Comment

I went through OCS at AMA with a well broken-in pair of issue boots and some 5.11s. We had to rotate boots daily(knots or no-knots). So unless you buy 2 pairs of new boots expect to wear the issued pair about half the time. I had no problems wearing my issue boots though, in garrison or field.

Popular choices as mentioned above are the Nikes, Rockys (C4 or S2V), New Balance, or Oakley (US made only). I'm assuming you drill at Camp Shelby with the RTI, go by the Military Clothing Store and see what they have. There's also a small PX at Thompson Field in Jackson. Never been there, so I don't know what their selection is like, but you might check it out since it's local to you. Jackson may have some tactical stores too. Ask around in the law enforcement community, they could probably point you in the right direction.

Comment

Question has been asked numerous times on this forum.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ghlight=oakley

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                Don't jinx it. Just Senior Officer Candidate for now, Sir comes in August (hopefully!).
                LOL...Roger that. I guess we'll be graduating together since I'm going accelerated all the way through.

Comment

LOL...Roger that. I guess we'll be graduating together since I'm going accelerated all the way through.
                  I guess that's going to be all three of us.

Comment

For what it's worth, I just graduated the AOCS program at the AMA and did it all in a pair of BCT boots and one pair of Rocky SV2's. Had I known, I would have bought two pairs of the SV2's and some decent insoles.

I loved the SV2's. Wore them every ruck with no blisters. My BCT boots weren't the best but I survived.

My personal preference is the SV2's with a pair of FoxRiver Socks. I got mine from some random online vender for a decent price. But I tried them first on at the PX. Most PX's (and BX's for that matter) stock the SV2's and you can give them a shot.

Good luck with AOCS, the AMA is no joke but you'll enjoy it!

Comment

CIF

Comment

SPEND YOUR MONEY ON GOOD SOCKS

Comment

Originally posted by ack202 View Post
                          CIF

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Wait. Am I the only one that got that?

Comment

Originally posted by BensZ28 View Post
                            For what it's worth, I just graduated the AOCS program at the AMA and did it all in a pair of BCT boots and one pair of Rocky SV2's. Had I known, I would have bought two pairs of the SV2's and some decent insoles.

I loved the SV2's. Wore them every ruck with no blisters. My BCT boots weren't the best but I survived.

My personal preference is the SV2's with a pair of FoxRiver Socks. I got mine from some random online vender for a decent price. But I tried them first on at the PX. Most PX's (and BX's for that matter) stock the SV2's and you can give them a shot.

Good luck with AOCS, the AMA is no joke but you'll enjoy it!
                            I'm starting to see a pattern. These socks are money, no joke. IMHO their sweat wicking capability is second to none. When I was getting ready to leave Phase I, my battle who was staying for Accelerated liked mine so much he bought all my pairs off of me before I came home for Traditional. I came home to the PX and bought 3 more right back and have used them for every ruck we've been on. Never a blister, always comfortable, and they dry out really fast.

Comment

Working...
                            X