X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it worth getting new boots?

I still use some socks I bought 5 years ago. Great during winder keeping my feet warm and reducing odor. When I was still in, they were still comfy during the winter and didn't make my feet sweat much at all. I think they were Wigwam.

Fox River was another brand I had.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
      Honestly, the best thing you can do is get good socks. A good boot with regular issue socks is about as good as a crappy boot with regular issue socks. I got 2 pair of Fox River socks on our first trip to the PX at Basic Training, and bought 5 more pairs the next time I went. I haven't worn any other kind of sock with my boots since then. I have NEVER gotten a blister on my foot (even during BCT) while wearing them.

For what it's worth, I wear the Nike boots, but only because I don't ruck much anymore, and they're lightweight and comfy. If you're rucking a lot, I wouldn't recommend them. But I will recommend Fox River's socks for the rest of my life.
      I ruck march all the time in my Nike boots! I've done a 22 mile round trip into and out of the Grand Canyon with a 65lb ruck wearing them. During that trip they got muddy, fully submerged in a stream, continued to walk in them, steep incline, steep decline, sandy conditions, super rocky etc. ZERO blisters. I took them on a hike through the jungle mountains on the napali coast. And countless flat surface marches. I swear by the Nike boots. Bad thing about the nike's, very little ankle support and they are terrible in the cold. Other than that they are the best boots I've ever owned.

I will also echo Fix River socks. Pretty much the only boot sock i will wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
        I ruck march all the time in my Nike boots! I've done a 22 mile round trip into and out of the Grand Canyon with a 65lb ruck wearing them. During that trip they got muddy, fully submerged in a stream, continued to walk in them, steep incline, steep decline, sandy conditions, super rocky etc. ZERO blisters. I took them on a hike through the jungle mountains on the napali coast. And countless flat surface marches. I swear by the Nike boots. Bad thing about the nike's, very little ankle support and they are terrible in the cold. Other than that they are the best boots I've ever owned.

It's quite funny you mention ruck marching in Nike boots. I tried it once. The heel of the Nike boot is perfect for rucking. They absorbed the shock so well it was like walking on bubble gum. But for some reason when doing day-to-day walking they suck because they feel so flat on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post

Good to know. I honestly never tried rucking in them. I just assumed since they were so light they'd be unstable. If our Humvee ever breaks down, I'll think about it.

Comment

I third or fourth Fox River.

I didn't like the New Balance OTB...destroyed a pair during OCS land nav. I consider them my wash rack boots now.

I have Bellevilles that I love. Somewhat heavy but super comfy.

My other pair is the Garmont T8. Love everything about them.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
              Damn! Where did you get Danners?!?!?!

Last November when I was leaving Afghanistan. I purchased them at the AAFES at Bagram Air Field. You can go online or hit any Army post to get them. Here they are.

Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 1st, 2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                I have a pair of Danner all weather boots from Ft Leonardwood. Good boots, but very heavy.
                Compared to Oakleys; yes, they are.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                  It's quite funny you mention ruck marching in Nike boots. I tried it once. The heel of the Nike boot is perfect for rucking. They absorbed the shock so well it was like walking on bubble gum. But for some reason when doing day-to-day walking they suck because they feel so flat on the inside.
                  It could be your feet as opposed to the boot itself. Since the boot is very similar to the Nike freerun shoe design it might not have the support your particular foot needs as the way you pronate greatly effects comfort and performance. Im a neutral runner so it's great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                    Anyone ever use Rocky S2V boots? Suppossedly they are newer and approved. I just picked them up and like them so far, but have not put any mileage on them yet.
                    CA Guard is issuing these out now when you go to CIF. I'm going to a new unit next month and telling them I need to hit up CIF for equipment deficiencies and getting me a pair

Comment

I've been wearing the same boots issued at basic training for 3 years. The only alteration is that I've put custom soles in them. The soles have been great. I like the feel of the generic I guess. But look not custom soles before investing in expensive boots.

Comment

I cannot speak towards a specific brand as far as these boots are concerned. But I can echo, and highly stress, the importance of a combo of good boots and socks. The boots I use for wildland firefighting set me back a hair over $500. That was a hard pill to swallow, but I have thanked myself on every fire and deployment I have used them on. I bought them 10 years ago, and have had them re-soled twice. Other than that, it is just taking very good care of them when I get back to the firehouse/firecamp.

Buying boots is a lot like buying tires. It is a necessary investment, and the price tag can be a little intimidating. But in the end, you get what you pay for.

Comment

I wonder if it is worth getting some, considering how little I'll be using them. But I guess at the same time, if I took care of them, I could have them for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldmiler View Post
                            I wonder if it is worth getting some, considering how little I'll be using them. But I guess at the same time, if I took care of them, I could have them for a long time.
                            I got a pair in AIT back in 2009....Ive had them ever since. I wouldnt purchase them before basic or anything since you will be wearing standard issue there. Just invest in a pair in AIT they should last you a while.

Comment

Whew, revival!! lol. As said in the posts before; it's all personal preference. I never bothered getting issued boots (I got black boots when I joined). Even with the black boots I tossed them asap and got jungle boots.

FWIW, I have 3 different pairs; Oakleys, Blackhawks, and the Nike SFB. I wear Blackhawks to Ruck, Oakleys for all purpose / everyday wear, and the Nike as my garrison boot / non-dirty duty boot. All 3 are comfortable. Nike is the lightest by far. To me, the Blackhawk is the only one I have put on and felt like it was ready to ruck in. No break in period.

Comment

Working...
                              X