X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth getting new boots?

I just did my last RSP and soon go to my first drill with my unit. Is it worth getting new boots? I've heard yes and no. I tried on some Rocky C4T's, I think they were, during RSP and they very comfortable. I wonder if it is worth getting some, considering how little I'll be using them. But I guess at the same time, if I took care of them, I could have them for a long time. Any feedback, and if yes, any recommendations?

Re: Is it worth getting new boots?

Originally posted by Sig View Post
    I just did my last RSP and soon go to my first drill with my unit. Is it worth getting new boots? I've heard yes and no. I tried on some Rocky C4T's, I think they were, during RSP and they very comfortable. I wonder if it is worth getting some, considering how little I'll be using them. But I guess at the same time, if I took care of them, I could have them for a long time. Any feedback, and if yes, any recommendations?
    I think the cost part of that is a personal decision, but I swear by Oakley. They make an excellent all-purpose boot.

Comment

I could go all day of the boot topic. I hate the issue boots... Heavy, clunky and just not comfortable at all. I love my personal ones. Boots depend on the person, I'd go,try on a few pairs, see what everyone else is wearing and go from there.

Comment

Oakleys.

Comment

I have used Oakleys alot but now using Danner and they are good.

Comment

Thing about boots in the NG, yes you only drill once a month but your feet are important. If you take good care of your feet your feet will take good care of you. That means a good pair of boots, good socks, powder your feet and use anti-fungal cream when necessary. I don't hesitate to spend $15 for ONE pair of good boot socks because the right sock paired with the right boot=zero blisters on a 15 mile ruck and that is priceless. Also consider that for those if us that are combat arms like myself my boots get plenty of mileage between drills. Ruck marches, body armor runs, boot runs etc. getting better boots is worth the cost. For me, Nike SFB is the ****. I have Oakley boots too and they are a quality boot but I like the Nike ones more.

Comment

I am a major cheap skate, but the one thing I will spend extra money on is a good pair of boots. Listen to what others say about the different brands and decide what you think will work for you. Just take into mind what you will you be doing. The LTs above are infantry, so expect that they know how to take care of their feet. Personally I hated my Oakleys, construction killed them in a matter of a month, but love my New Balance.
              Last edited by Marine2Guard; January 29th, 2013, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                I have used Oakleys alot but now using Danner and they are good.
                Damn! Where did you get Danners?!?!?!

Comment

I've literally seen infantry guys buy Oakleys and several days later they rip along the seam. I have a pair of Nike boots--They were great for a month or two but once the original insert wears out they were close to worthless. I stake my reputation on Altama boots and Fox River socks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3962e7437b2ed2a922f02f27ed060004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	373

Name:	f2cbfaa042eb802aaf9f9d6fa3188f16.jpg
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	374

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                    Damn! Where did you get Danners?!?!?!
                    I have a pair of Danner all weather boots from Ft Leonardwood. Good boots, but very heavy.

Comment

Anyone ever use Rocky S2V boots? Suppossedly they are newer and approved. I just picked them up and like them so far, but have not put any mileage on them yet.

Comment

I went from the USMCR Infantry to 11B in the ARNG. I used Danner Acadia throughout my time in the USMCR and they never failed me, I still use them when camping/hiking. I wanted to try something different and purchased a pair of Rocky SV2 in August 2012 and so far they are the best pair of boots I have ever purchased. It's all about personal preference and how much $$ you can spend. If your in any Infantry related MOS, I would suggest researching each boot that your interested in, then shopping around for the best fit and the best price. At the time, I found the cheapest pair of Rocky SV2's on the following website for around $160 with an online promo coupon. You may be able to find them cheaper somewhere else (ebay) this site could be a good place to start.
                        Last edited by SF Hunter; December 11th, 2013, 10:28 AM.

Comment

My personal preference is a split. I like the Nike SFB for light duty and when I have to do a lot of walking or running around (this thing is like a tennis shoe and similar to the Rocky C4T).

I have a pair of New Balance OBTs, now re-named NB Tactical 453, for heavy duty and rucking purposes. This is still a comfortable boot but provides great ankle support and weight distribution. The only thing I don't like about the NB is it's not quick to get on and off like lots of others. I'm considering a pair of Sand Storm boots as a replacement. Same guy that designed the NB, but he's split off on his own and has made some improvements and alternate variations.

Comment

Originally posted by Antiarmor1 View Post
                            I went from the USMCR Infantry to 11B in the ARNG. I used Danner Acadia throughout my time in the USMCR and they never failed me, I still use them when camping/hiking. I wanted to try something different and purchased a pair of Rocky SV2 in August 2012 and so far they are the best pair of boots I have ever purchased. It's all about personal preference and how much $$ you can spend. If your in any Infantry related MOS, I would suggest researching each boot that your interested in, then shopping around for the best fit and the best price. At the time, I found the cheapest pair of Rocky SV2's on the following website for around $160 with an online promo coupon. You may be able to find them cheaper somewhere else (ebay) this site could be a good place to start.
                            Research only goes so far. You have to be able to "try" them out. Unfortunately, short of "trying" them out in any comprehensive fashion, you're probably going to have to buy them. Trial and error; it can be expensive.
                            Last edited by SF Hunter; December 11th, 2013, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                              Fox River socks.

Name:	f2cbfaa042eb802aaf9f9d6fa3188f16.jpg
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	374
                              Honestly, the best thing you can do is get good socks. A good boot with regular issue socks is about as good as a crappy boot with regular issue socks. I got 2 pair of Fox River socks on our first trip to the PX at Basic Training, and bought 5 more pairs the next time I went. I haven't worn any other kind of sock with my boots since then. I have NEVER gotten a blister on my foot (even during BCT) while wearing them.

For what it's worth, I wear the Nike boots, but only because I don't ruck much anymore, and they're lightweight and comfy. If you're rucking a lot, I wouldn't recommend them. But I will recommend Fox River's socks for the rest of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X