X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOCS Boots

Just got back from my first phase 0 drill and need some insights about boots. Our group has heard some conflicting information about what boots are allowed.

Some TACs (Platoon Trainers now) say you can only take Army issued boots while others say we need to buy the best money can buy and as long as they meet regs, we'll be good to go.

I understand requirements depend on location and command. We're headed to AOCS in January in Alabama. Anyone have first hand experience from AMA? Shoot I'd take just some sound advice. Our TAC said he could contact AMA and find out for us, but I'd like to do the ground work and not ask him to go out of his way.

Thanks!

Re: AOCS Boots

Originally posted by BensZ28 View Post
    Just got back from my first phase 0 drill and need some insights about boots. Our group has heard some conflicting information about what boots are allowed.

Some TACs (Platoon Trainers now) say you can only take Army issued boots while others say we need to buy the best money can buy and as long as they meet regs, we'll be good to go.

I understand requirements depend on location and command. We're headed to AOCS in January in Alabama. Anyone have first hand experience from AMA? Shoot I'd take just some sound advice. Our TAC said he could contact AMA and find out for us, but I'd like to do the ground work and not ask him to go out of his way.

Thanks!
    I've taken my Oakleys to AOCS (South Dakota). That's not AMA, but I don't see the problem as long as the boots conform to Army regulations.

If the packing list is ambiguous, it is the TAC's responsibility to clarify those issues so let him do that part.

Comment

Roger that Sir. Packing list just says, "2 Pair - Boots, Combat, Desert." Fairly open.

Do you recommend the Oakleys? A few other OCs and myself are looking specifically for rucking boots. We did a short 4 mile ruck Saturday and our feet were tore up all drill. Granted, the entire ruck was up or downhill but we shouldn't have had such problems.

I used my boots from BCT that are very well broken in but my heels got it bad. I've heard Rocky S2V and even the Nike's are good for rucking. Your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by BensZ28 View Post
        Roger that Sir. Packing list just says, "2 Pair - Boots, Combat, Desert." Fairly open.

Do you recommend the Oakleys? A few other OCs and myself are looking specifically for rucking boots. We did a short 4 mile ruck Saturday and our feet were tore up all drill. Granted, the entire ruck was up or downhill but we shouldn't have had such problems.

I used my boots from BCT that are very well broken in but my heels got it bad. I've heard Rocky S2V and even the Nike's are good for rucking. Your thoughts?
        It's really a matter of personal preference. Everyone's feet are different. Oakleys work well for me but that may not be someone else's experience. Some have said that they do not last as long as issue boots. They're probably right, but I'd gladly pay a small premium for that much more comfort.

I've done EIB ruck marches (35+lbs for 12 miles in less than 3 hours) with my Oakleys and a Dr. Scholl's Sport Gel insoles with zero blisters. They'll hold up for whatever AOCS throws at you.

Nikes are even lighter than the Oakleys. They are good for road marching because of the weight. However, I do not prefer them for field boots or boots used when carrying rucks/equipment > 55lbs). I don't think they have enough ankle support. I've never twisted or sprained an ankle with my Oakleys.

Comment

I been using Oakley for years and they are awesome. Go to the usstandardissue website.

But everyone's feet are different and you have to find out what suits you. Also, regardless of boot, if you going on a ruck, use some real good socks with mole skin (with a little vaseline) and you will be good to go.

4 miles should be fairly easy; even for untrained feet.

Comment

I am an AMA graduate and an AMA TAC and the best advice I can give you is ensure your boots, whatever brand you purchase, are broken in. I have seen candidates dropped after the 5 mile ruck because their feet were jacked up. Most TACs won't mess with you as long as the boots meet req.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
              I am an AMA graduate and an AMA TAC and the best advice I can give you is ensure your boots, whatever brand you purchase, are broken in. I have seen candidates dropped after the 5 mile ruck because their feet were jacked up. Most TACs won't mess with you as long as the boots meet req.
              +1.

The 5 mile ruck, plus you are running everywhere in your boots.

You are going to likely have to switch boots every day anyway (we were mandated to do so), which is really to your best advantage because of how much your feet will sweat. They really need the day to dry out. It was easy to pick out the candidates who didn't switch up their boots, i.e. more foot issues.

I would try and dissuade anyone from carrying issue boots unless they are just extremely broken in and you are actually comfortable in them. Having 2 good pairs of boots that are broken in AND are comfortable for you are a must.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                AMA grad as well, the above is good info. People had a variety of boot brands in my class and no one was messed with. So long as they're desert boots that could pass in normal army use, they should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by M-T View Post
                  AMA grad as well, the above is good info. People had a variety of boot brands in my class and no one was messed with. So long as they're desert boots that could pass in normal army use, they should be fine.
                  Any concerns with visible brand logos? This has been asked before, and since you've seen numerous comrades have different boot brands, what are your thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                    Any concerns with visible brand logos? This has been asked before, and since you've seen numerous comrades have different boot brands, what are your thoughts on this?
                    Well, I was taught that when in doubt, go to doctrine. So what we have on that is as follows:

39.Army Combat Uniform (ACU) ALARACT Message 007/2006
                    5E. BOOTS. ARMY COMBAT BOOTS – (HOT WEATHER AND TEMPERATE WEATHER), AND OPTIONAL BOOTS.
                    5E1. ARMY COMBAT BOOTS – (HOT WEATHER AND TEMPERATE WEATHER) MADE OF TAN ROUGH SIDE OUT CATTLEHIDE LEATHER WITH A PLAIN TOE AND TAN RUBBER OUTSOLES. THE BOOTS ARE LACED DIAGONALLY WITH TAN LACES, WITH THE EXCESS LACE TUCKED INTO THE TOP OF THE BOOT UNDER THE BLOUSED TROUSERS, OR WRAPPED AROUND THE TOP OF THE BOOT. METAL CLEATS AND SIDE TABS, AND SEWN-IN OR LACED-IN ZIPPER INSERTS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED. A RUBBER OUTSOLE IS THE ONLY OUTSOLE MATERIAL THAT CURRENTLY MEETS THE NEED FOR DURABILITY AND TRACTION ON SURFACES. OTHER MATERIALS (THAT MAY BE OF A LIGHTER WEIGHT) MAY HAVE SIGNIFICANT PROBLEMS IN THESE AREAS.

5E2. OPTIONAL BOOTS - SOLDIERS MAY WEAR COMMERCIAL BOOTS OF A DESIGN SIMILAR TO THAT OF THE ARMY COMBAT BOOT (TAN), 8 TO 10 INCHES IN HEIGHT AS AUTHORIZED BY THE COMMANDER. THE BOOTS MUST BE MADE OF TAN ROUGH SIDE OUT CATTLEHIDE LEATHER, WITH A PLAIN TOE, AND HAVE A TAN, RUBBER OUTSOLE. SOLDIERS MAY WEAR OPTIONAL BOOTS IN LIEU OF THE STANDARD ISSUE ARMY COMBAT BOOTS (TAN) - HOT WEATHER AND TEMPERATE WEATHER; HOWEVER, THEY DO NOT REPLACE ISSUE BOOTS AS A MANDATORY POSSESSION ITEM. OPTIONAL BOOTS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR WHEN THE COMMANDER ISSUES AND
                    PRESCRIBES STANDARD ORGANIZATIONAL FOOTWEAR FOR SAFETY OR ENVIRONMENTAL REASONS (SUCH AS INSULATED BOOTS OR SAFETY SHOES).

The focus seems to be here on the material it is made of with no specifications to logos, visible or not. If we check 670-1 RAR 11 May 2012 it has this to say about the black combat boots:

(4) Soldiers are not authorized to wear any boot with the brand name “Hi-Tech,” or any other boot deemed to have
                    a sneaker-type construction, unless they were authorized an exception to policy by Headquarters, Department of the
                    Army.

"Sneaker-type construction" seems pretty vague to me, I think it refers to a lower cutoff for the boot.

Based off all of that, so long as the logo is made of tan leather, I think you're fine. Of course, the commander may use their discretion on all of this. I personally wouldn't bring tanker boots, or anything with a logo that was another color than tan leather.

While we're on AOCS appearance, everyone should know that while it says 'show up with a haircut that observes army regs', all males are going to have shaved heads while you are there.

Comment

Originally posted by M-T View Post
                      Well, I was taught that when in doubt, go to doctrine. So what we have on that is as follows:

39.Army Combat Uniform (ACU) ALARACT Message 007/2006
                      5E. BOOTS. ARMY COMBAT BOOTS – (HOT WEATHER AND TEMPERATE WEATHER), AND OPTIONAL BOOTS.
                      5E1. ARMY COMBAT BOOTS – (HOT WEATHER AND TEMPERATE WEATHER) MADE OF TAN ROUGH SIDE OUT CATTLEHIDE LEATHER WITH A PLAIN TOE AND TAN RUBBER OUTSOLES. THE BOOTS ARE LACED DIAGONALLY WITH TAN LACES, WITH THE EXCESS LACE TUCKED INTO THE TOP OF THE BOOT UNDER THE BLOUSED TROUSERS, OR WRAPPED AROUND THE TOP OF THE BOOT. METAL CLEATS AND SIDE TABS, AND SEWN-IN OR LACED-IN ZIPPER INSERTS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED. A RUBBER OUTSOLE IS THE ONLY OUTSOLE MATERIAL THAT CURRENTLY MEETS THE NEED FOR DURABILITY AND TRACTION ON SURFACES. OTHER MATERIALS (THAT MAY BE OF A LIGHTER WEIGHT) MAY HAVE SIGNIFICANT PROBLEMS IN THESE AREAS.

5E2. OPTIONAL BOOTS - SOLDIERS MAY WEAR COMMERCIAL BOOTS OF A DESIGN SIMILAR TO THAT OF THE ARMY COMBAT BOOT (TAN), 8 TO 10 INCHES IN HEIGHT AS AUTHORIZED BY THE COMMANDER. THE BOOTS MUST BE MADE OF TAN ROUGH SIDE OUT CATTLEHIDE LEATHER, WITH A PLAIN TOE, AND HAVE A TAN, RUBBER OUTSOLE. SOLDIERS MAY WEAR OPTIONAL BOOTS IN LIEU OF THE STANDARD ISSUE ARMY COMBAT BOOTS (TAN) - HOT WEATHER AND TEMPERATE WEATHER; HOWEVER, THEY DO NOT REPLACE ISSUE BOOTS AS A MANDATORY POSSESSION ITEM. OPTIONAL BOOTS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR WHEN THE COMMANDER ISSUES AND
                      PRESCRIBES STANDARD ORGANIZATIONAL FOOTWEAR FOR SAFETY OR ENVIRONMENTAL REASONS (SUCH AS INSULATED BOOTS OR SAFETY SHOES).

The focus seems to be here on the material it is made of with no specifications to logos, visible or not. If we check 670-1 RAR 11 May 2012 it has this to say about the black combat boots:

(4) Soldiers are not authorized to wear any boot with the brand name “Hi-Tech,” or any other boot deemed to have
                      a sneaker-type construction, unless they were authorized an exception to policy by Headquarters, Department of the
                      Army.

"Sneaker-type construction" seems pretty vague to me, I think it refers to a lower cutoff for the boot.

Based off all of that, so long as the logo is made of tan leather, I think you're fine. Of course, the commander may use their discretion on all of this. I personally wouldn't bring tanker boots, or anything with a logo that was another color than tan leather.

While we're on AOCS appearance, everyone should know that while it says 'show up with a haircut that observes army regs', all males are going to have shaved heads while you are there.
                      Awesome! Thanks for sharing the ALACRAT message, LT! That gives a little more detail than what I was finding in 670-1. Sounds like overall there's some grey area on these logos. Again, appreciate the insight.

Comment

Certainly! Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                        X