Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Army Camo Pattern Set For Distribution April "1", 2014...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Army Camo Pattern Set For Distribution April "1", 2014...

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
    That is extremely retarded. The Army just conducted the most comprehensive test on cammo patterns in history. All 4 of the finalists outperform MARPAT. The Marines should be thankful that they would be getting a better pattern than MARPAT. Before MARPAT the Army developed the military's cammo and gladly shared it with the rest of the branches. The us vs everyone else mentality of the Corp is ridiculous. And the comment sections in those links full of ignorance. The best I found "Even though "regular" Marines don't need to attach anything "special" to their title to know they are the real tip of the spear. The word Marine says it all. "Special Forces" doing "special operations" means just another day on the job for the average Marine."
    +1
    Originally posted by [iRSH] View Post
    +1

I believe that MARPAT was the best option being fielded at the time. That does not, however, mean that it is the best option for all time. We went through the same thing when the Navy started developing their NWU II and III uniforms.

We all wore the same uniform for 35 years, and the world didn't explode (typically). Wearing the same uniform makes tactical and economical sense; it prevents an enemy from identifying a specific unit by their uniform (thus identifying differences in tactics or ROE), and it reduces redundant links in the supply chain. There are more than enough minor uniform differences between the services to still maintain a unit identity: berets, boots, 8-point covers, patrol caps, inside vs. outside sleeve rolls, the fact that branch of service is embroidered on your chest, et cetera...

Honestly, the typical "Oorah" compaints against this are reprehensible to me. What it really boils down to is that we would rather allow American servicemembers to potentially die by using sub-par gear, than share a uniform.

The problem is that the Marines have a bone. It doesn't matter if you have a better bone. It doesn't matter if our bone is chewed to pieces and has no more value to give. You can't take our bone.
    LOL...wow Marine, it looks like your brainwashing is wearing off.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
      LOL...wow Marine, it looks like your brainwashing is wearing off.
      They sent me to school with the Coast Guard for 9 months... What has been seen cannot be unseen :P

The DoD has gone through approximately 10 utility uniform changes (plus 2 for the Coast Guard) in as many years. How much money was wasted in the name of "research and development", bids, contract negotiation, supply chain development, et cetera, ad nauseum for essentially redundant uniform boards?

Yet this is somehow okay if we claim it is necessary to maintain our service identity; if how we dress is more integral to our esprit de corps than how we act.

Not that the other services are without fault. UCP was a disaster. There is no good reason why the poorest performing camouflage pattern won that board. At least this current board looks like they are taking it seriously, this time.

After the Air Force switched to the ABU, they enacted policy that required airmen embedded in other services to wear the new uniform. 6 combat controllers died before that policy was reversed. Apparently, standing out is the exact opposite of what a uniform is supposed to do...

Comment

Actually Desert Brush won the selection but The UCP selection was a back door deal so we can have a digital pattern like the Marines. Epic fail.

Comment

Well SMA Chandler just told us tonight that the new pattern for the Army is going to be Multicam. Kinda disappointed but I suppose it makes sense seeing as how we are already wearing it here in Afghanistan and the Army has a bunch of gear and uniforms in stock. I'm still hoping things change and we get US4CES but that seems pretty far off now.

Comment

Interesting info EH. I guess the SMA is still hanging out in theater. Nevertheless, it is way better than UCP but I am curious as to when the SSD website will post it.

http://soldiersystems.net/category/camo/

Soldiers, if you are for or against still, please post on the SMA's FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/SMAChandler

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
              Interesting info EH. I guess the SMA is still hanging out in theater. Nevertheless, it is way better than UCP but I am curious as to when the SSD website will post it.

http://soldiersystems.net/category/camo/

Soldiers, if you are for or against still, please post on the SMA's FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/SMAChandler
              Yea I'm still holding out for a change of heart. But if Multicam actually beat all the other competitors then of course I want it lol. It would be nice if the results were released to the public. Wont hold my breath for that one

Comment

True, but I think the one uniform solution for all terrains does not work. Again, the decision of costs trumps best selected.

Comment

I'm ambivilent about the pattern, but I do hope they improve the material.

It fades too fast, the velcro is worthless after about 20 washes and it wears out too easily. My multicams I'm wearing now actually look like ACUs they are so faded.

Comment

When I went to Afghanistan the first time in 2009, we were issued the insect repellant treated ACU that fades and feels like paper mâché. So that material is the same for multicam. If issues throughout the force, it will be the garrison material of the ACU.

Comment

On a separate note, Chandler also told troops that the new Army combat uniforms will likely be phased in starting eight to nine months from now. The uniform will feature different colors for different environments, but the pattern will be very similar to the mottled “multicam” currently used in Afghanistan under the designation “Operation Enduring Freedom Camouflage Pattern.”

That was the last paragraph from the article that I posted in the tattoo thread.

Comment

On a separate note, Chandler also told troops that the new Army combat uniforms will likely be phased in starting eight to nine months from now. The uniform will feature different colors for different environments, but the pattern will be very similar to the mottled “multicam” currently used in Afghanistan under the designation “Operation Enduring Freedom Camouflage Pattern.”
                        This is the last paragraph from the article that I posted in the tattoo thread.

http://www.stripes.com/news/soldiers...-way-1.242828#

Comment

It already is on the Soldiers Systems Daily website.

http://soldiersystems.net/2013/09/22...comment-352834

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu View Post
                            I'm ambivilent about the pattern, but I do hope they improve the material.

It fades too fast, the velcro is worthless after about 20 washes and it wears out too easily. My multicams I'm wearing now actually look like ACUs they are so faded.
                            Wobbly, here are pics of my uniforms. The ones with the square on the left bottom sleeve (by the pen holders) are treated with permethrin and the ones without the square (the ones issues for garrison and purchased at clothing and sales) are the good material you are referring to. Since OCP has only been issued for deploying Soldiers; that is why they receive these with the flimsy feeling material after a few washes. But I like the fade because you get the old salty dog look. lol

https://peosoldier.army.mil/faqs/fracu.asp

Below is ACU issued for theater versus the ones troops get issued at Basic and the ones you buy at Clothing and Sales.

Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; September 22nd, 2013, 11:11 PM.

Comment

"The US Army looks Schizophrenic in the eyes of industrial based uniform suppliers."

http://soldiersystems.net/2013/09/23...ore-concerned/

Comment

It now hit the Army Times officially

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...e-way-SMA-says

Comment

Working...
                                X