Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior-service Marine Uniform/Gear Issue

Ladies & Gents:
    I'm curious if anyone can comment on what they were issued coming form the Marine Corps into the National Guard. I'm asking about this specifically because we don't go to BCT, and thus do not go through the normal issue process.
    My situation is this: I was issued, at the unit level, the normal gear (for the most part, everything that is necessary for the field, that one can expect to not have to purchase aftermarket). For military clothing, I was issued 3x ACU top/bottom, one pair hot weather boots, 3x patrol cap, 3x tan shirt, 1 set nametapes, and no underwear or socks. I was not issued any PT gear. Luckily enough, I live an hour away from an exchange that is stocked alright with Army uniforms and I am able to purchase these uniforms. Any chance these should have been provided?
    I have my first drill this weekend and it includes two PFTs and riflerange. I do not want to be missing any gear and look like a shitbag, even if I wasn't issued it in the first place, but I don't want to run out and max the Star card out if I don't necessarily have to.
    Appreciate the responses.

Re: Prior-service Marine Uniform/Gear Issue

Originally posted by Usmcsmh View Post
    Ladies & Gents:
    I'm curious if anyone can comment on what they were issued coming form the Marine Corps into the National Guard. I'm asking about this specifically because we don't go to BCT, and thus do not go through the normal issue process.
    My situation is this: I was issued, at the unit level, the normal gear (for the most part, everything that is necessary for the field, that one can expect to not have to purchase aftermarket). For military clothing, I was issued 3x ACU top/bottom, one pair hot weather boots, 3x patrol cap, 3x tan shirt, 1 set nametapes, and no underwear or socks. I was not issued any PT gear. Luckily enough, I live an hour away from an exchange that is stocked alright with Army uniforms and I am able to purchase these uniforms. Any chance these should have been provided?
    I have my first drill this weekend and it includes two PFTs and riflerange. I do not want to be missing any gear and look like a shitbag, even if I wasn't issued it in the first place, but I don't want to run out and max the Star card out if I don't necessarily have to.
    Appreciate the responses.
    I believe PT uniforms are supposed to be issued. However, there are more knowledgeable people than me around here in regards to gear/uniform issue.

The way I see it: if a soldier has not been issued gear, then it's not his fault if he shows up to drill without that gear.

Comment

Thank-you, sir. I should probably add, before someone asks the very question I would ask given this information, that I have inquired up my chain-of-command, and the answer was; "Go to the PX."

Comment

I would think that even if you did not have actual PT gear, you could still do PT in similar civilian attire. Only for this kind of situation though where it hasn't been issued. You're only wearing it for 1-2 hours anyway.

What's the big deal with that? Unless it is seen as broadcasting the fact there is a soldier that is out of uniform.

Comment

Telling you to go to the px is the wrong answer, you should be issued 4 uniforms and a set of PT's which should include 2 shorts, 2 short sleeve shirts, 1 long sleeve shirt, 1 pants, 1 jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
            Telling you to go to the px is the wrong answer, you should be issued 4 uniforms and a set of PT's which should include 2 shorts, 2 short sleeve shirts, 1 long sleeve shirt, 1 pants, 1 jacket.
            +1. That's a pretty poor way of taking care of a soldier.

Although the soldier may wish to have more than just 2 sets of summer PTs at some point in his career. As a soldier, I would wait a bit before purchasing your own clothing and equipment. Sometimes your supply sergeant may just "find" extra clothing and be able to hook you up. These things just happen.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
              +2, Wrong answer. You need to continue up the COC if they don't issue you your gear.

Comment

Working...
              X