Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife and/or Multitool

Hi all,

My birthday's coming up in a little over a week, and the wife has been asking about what I'd like. I'm thinking of getting a multitool and/or knife that will ideally see me through IBOLC, Ranger School (if I get it), and beyond. I've owned a few multitools in my time but honestly it's been so long I have little idea about what's good these days, and for knives I really haven't the first clue what would be suitable or useful.

Ideally something which can be secured easily both on my civilian clothes off duty and my LBV/ACUs on duty.

Thanks for any advice or assistance!

Re: Knife and/or Multitool

I believe this is what you're looking for Sir...

Comment

I don't think anything could top HR NCO's But have you checked out the Leatherman MUT I really like it's features.

Comment

Personally sir, I have been a fan of Leatherman's tools for the last decade or so. Mine came with a sturdy pouch that hasn't failed yet, and I wear it daily (well except for BCT and AIT!) in my civilian life, and as a volunteer firefighter, and on my drill weekends and AT. It has always been useful to have on me. I know the Army tends to hand out Gerber's products, and most army personnel I have met have a preference for Gerber as a result. I would recommend you peruse the websites and look at the models of tools offered, and find the one that matches your expected needs.

Comment

Leatherman and Gerber are both good. I still carry a Gerber everyday that was issued to me back in 2004.

Comment

Your birthday is coming up and you are asking for a knife? Man...you have to shoot for the stars and see what you can get. Start with a mercedes, or motorcycle, or something.

If you have to, settle on the knife

Comment

Originally posted by PALINATHAS View Post
              Personally sir, I have been a fan of Leatherman's tools for the last decade or so. Mine came with a sturdy pouch that hasn't failed yet, and I wear it daily (well except for BCT and AIT!) in my civilian life, and as a volunteer firefighter, and on my drill weekends and AT. It has always been useful to have on me. I know the Army tends to hand out Gerber's products, and most army personnel I have met have a preference for Gerber as a result. I would recommend you peruse the websites and look at the models of tools offered, and find the one that matches your expected needs.
              I agree, both Gerber and Leatherman are my go to's.

Comment

The Leatherman Wave and the Gerber 'The Instant' are my choices. I used to carry a SOG Trident (very lightweight knife also good) but whatever system you incorporate be sure to have some fail-safes in place (i.e. dummy-cord your gear to your LBE, and have some redundancy and not rely on a single blade) I always have a foldable pocket knife for quick cutting tasks, as well as a multi-tool for when I need a saw, file or the more used items like a flat-head and phillips head. If you get a multi-tool try to get one with a sheath that is MOLLE compatible that way you can wear it on your belt as well as on your FLC/LBE. Honestly, there are hundreds of thousands of possibilities out there, do some research. I wouldn't recommend a large fixed blade, I have a Gerber LMF II Infantry Knife as I got a great deal on it and I was hooked on its features, but I rarely use it and it's very bulky. Good luck on your search, I'd recommend the first two pieces of gear mentioned above, but that's just my opinion

Comment

I always went with a generic leatherman/gerber multitool... as far as knives? either use the one on the multitool or get a few cheap pocket knives.
                  I've a really nice SOG something or other $60 knife, but for the last 4 years my cheap Smith & Wesson gravity knife has done it's job admirably.

Comment

Working...
                  X