X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEAPON for 12n horizontal constructione engineer

Im sorry i dont know where to post this. i was just curious but does a 12n horizontal engineer get issued a weapon if they go overseas? or do they give us body guards while we work?

Re: WEAPON for 12n horizontal constructione engineer

Every Soldier and every military member is issued a weapon; especially if you are a Soldier or a Marine. The Air Force people I met a couple of years ago when I was in Afghanistan actually received their weapon upon arriving in theater. I have seen Soldiers outside the wire doing manual labor with the weapons body-slung or with a side-arm strapped to a thigh while other Soldiers pulled security.

When I see horizontal engineer questions; I get a feeling for that poster that liked to play with people on this site.

Comment

Most Horiz guys over here now are dual carriers.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
        Most Horiz guys over here now are dual carriers.
        LT, hope all is well. I am by your neck of the woods today and man, it is hot like Africa over here.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          LT, hope all is well. I am by your neck of the woods today and man, it is hot like Africa over here.
          So far so good. It can't be any hotter than your AO.

Comment

With the exception of a Chaplain, every soldier has an individual weapon. Also the HMME, Skidsteer, D7R, Duce, 10TD etc, in typical military fashion have a M16 rack built into the cab. Most of the HE has some type of uparmor kit, although the other gentlemen may tell you if those kits are widely fielded in theater.

Comment

yes but what weapons would a he be issued? i was told at RSP possibly a pistol but they do not know what kind,and definitely not a rifle.

Comment

Probably an M9.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah Barker View Post
                  yes but what weapons would a he be issued? i was told at RSP possibly a pistol but they do not know what kind,and definitely not a rifle.
                  This will depend on the unit. I am currently deployed as an Engineer and some guys are operating with M4s others have M9s. Only way to know for sure is to go.

Comment

I was kind of curious about this as well. I haven't been through IET yet and don't know how weapon issue works. I'll be a 15U chinook mechanic. Does your unit issue you a weapon upon arriving there after AIT, and does that weapon stay with you throughout your career(unless of course they come out with new ones or something)? Or do you just get handed one when you need one, like for weapons qualification, FTX's or deployment? And are sidearms standard issue for all soldiers? And yes, I know you can't take them home.

Comment

A unit's MTOE will have the weapon assignment for each position. Obviously, an infantry's MTOE differs from that of a signal or MI company. My last unit, all officers were assigned an 9M so I enjoyed only carrying that for 3+ years as well as my time as an MP. Since I been flying around to various FOBs during this tour in Afghanistan, my Major talked to our Commander (Captain) and got my weapon swapped with a FOBBIT (the mayor). I just had to go to the range and zero/qualify with it. And getting a range downrange is much easier than back in the rear.

In my next assignment, I was issued an M16 because there were no M4s left nor was I going to be given an M9 since there were all assigned too. I have see Chiefs gripe about that in the past saying, "Well, I hope no butterbar has one because....." and so and so.

When I was an MP, our gunner was assigned a M249 plus a 9M. When we went to Iraq, our PSG was able to resource us more firepower and we received M14s as well. So, as unusual it is to see an M14 being used in garrison, there were/are being used a lot downrange.

When you get to your unit; you will check in with the armorer and get a unit assigned.

Obviously, a weapon doesn't stay with me my entire career since I am regular Army and go to a different unit about every three years.
                      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X