X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where to get a ruck for training?

Everyone reacts to marches differently. The only one I ever blistered on was the final 25km march at Benning.
    Last edited by SteveLord; June 28th, 2012, 12:27 PM. Reason: mile>km

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
      Everyone reacts to marches differently. The only one I ever blistered on was the final 25mile march at Benning.
      25 kilometer?(approx 15 miles)

Comment

I used my issued boots for the ruck march. I figured it would be better to toughen my feet up now as opposed to trying to do it while at BCT.

I used a Maxpedition backpack loaded with bricks as a ruck but my slight OCD has me looking for a current issue ruck. Or at least as close as I can get to what I'll be using at Benning. I may take a trip to the surplus store today.... hopefully their prices fall somewhere within my means.

Thanks again gentleman, your advice has helped greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
          25 kilometer?(approx 15 miles)
          Yes. As I was.

Comment

I bought an old Alice pack, for about 25 bucks ,without the frame mind you, at a "army navy" type store in my local area before I joined.

Look, you can take an assault pack, back pack, or whatever, fill it up with whatever(water bottles, rocks, etc) and set out. Make sure ya wear boots, military issue if ya got em(ya wont be wearing anything other then that in basic) and set out. Mostly youll do road marches so going up a mountain trail will help but wont be necessary for prep for basic/ait.

Just an assault pack or back pack wont prepare you for rucking with a typical molly with a frame, it will prepare you phisacly and mentally for the mind numbing walk and uncomfortably of humpin weight .....work up to 10+ miles ....do 2, 4, 6, 8 10 etc or something of the like. Increase weight as ya go to.....have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
              if worse comes to worse, you can always just get a sturdy bookbag, like what you use in school, and fill it up with different heavy things and walk around, just to build up your legs and upper back. when you get down there though, they know that people are not used to rucking. You will start with a 2 mile, then 4 miles a week and a half later, then 6, 8, 10, and finally the 12 mile after your ftx, which tends to run about 15 miles. dont worry, you will be fine.

yea what he said. lol

Comment

You could also just run/hike hills a lot. A lot of what goes into ruck marches is the strength of your legs. Build your legs up, as well as cardio and try to toughen up your feet. You'll be issued brand new boots at BCT so you'll have to work on breaking them in (a good way to do that is to shower with them so as they dry they conform to your feet)

Comment

While building up leg strength and endurance is a good idea it absolutely does not substitute for actual ruck marching. Being really good and fast at ruck marching has a lot to do with form and the way you walk. Before I started to seriously train for ruck marching I was always getting 300 on the APFT, hit the weight room regulalry and hit legs hard, ran marathons, even ran a half marathon wearing a 40lb vest. But the first time I set out for a 12 mile march with 50lbs I didn't make the time limit of 3 hours. Why? Because I ran too much, burnt too much energy, and was taking way too long of strides which tore up my legs and my feet. After training for a few months and started working on form then I was able to hold a consistent 13:00 min per mile pace for 12 miles with zero running. Its a different kind of exercise. You can supplement other training in order to help assist but nothing improves rucking like rucking. Maybe it was worse for me because I'm only 5'5 but still, it takes some effort and training to get good at it.

For a brand new soldier going to basic and AIT, not an absolute requirement that they work on rucking before they ship out but its a nice little leg up. Once that soldier returns through they should ruck in between drills if they are of the combat arms MOS type.

Comment

Working...
                  X