Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Patrol Cap - What's the deal? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

    Evening All.

    I am looking for an answer to the "sew on rank" vs "pin on" rank question for the patrol cap. I read that with the new implementations to AR 670-1, we are to wear bright pin on rank on the PC while we are in garrison. In addition, I have read the exact opposite as well... We wear the sew on subdued since we longer sport the beret in garrison.

    My Coc and cadre are divided on the issue. Is there anyone in the know who can point me in the right direction? I report to BOLC in a week and don't want to be "that guy".

  • #2
    Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

    Hey LT, I have seen the unofficial AR 670-1 changes on here and a couple other places, but unless something snuck by me we are still wearing subdued rank (either sewn or pin on). I won't be surprised if changes do come out in the future indicating non-subdued rank for the patrol cap in garrison, as it was worn that way with the BDU and OD Green uniforms for decades in that very way prior to the most recent change. Either way, don't you have more than one patrol cap? They're under 10 bucks after all. Just have a little of everything with you. (Where are you going to BOLC?)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

      Hehe, yea. I have 4 actually. 2 of them are pretty crusty since i've had them sicne BCT. Went ahead and bought to new ones to go with my new ACUS. Good call.

      I report to Ft Huachuca.... armpit of the Army. Hooah.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

        Officers should always wear bright pin on. How else are the enlisted suppose to know when to look busy when you're around?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

          Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
          I report to Ft Huachuca.... armpit of the Army. Hooah.
          Man I'd love to hang out in the AZ Desert! Go to bars and tell girls I'm into intelligence! That would be the life!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

            LOL... right. I've a few friends who have been there already (plus one who will be doing CCC while I am there). They've warned me where to go and not go. Apparently, there is this dive called "Rendevouz" that is popular with the enlisted. It is affectionately referred to as "Article 15-bait",,,

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

              I had some OCS classmates that were complaining on facebook that they had all the lieutenants out doing police call and yardwork. I laughed and told them there are probably secret cameras hidden in the ground and they were trying to see if the fancy LTs could find them. Good news is Tucson is only an hour away and downtown Tucson is really pretty sweet. Oh, and Mount Lemmon is a great weekend climb.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

                Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                Officers should always wear bright pin on. How else are the enlisted suppose to know when to look busy when you're around?
                Love it... it's funny to peer through the drill hall's door and see the troops chillaxin and then scatter when I walk in.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

                  Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                  I had some OCS classmates that were complaining on facebook that they had all the lieutenants out doing police call and yardwork. I laughed and told them there are probably secret cameras hidden in the ground and they were trying to see if the fancy LTs could find them. Good news is Tucson is only an hour away and downtown Tucson is really pretty sweet. Oh, and Mount Lemmon is a great weekend climb.
                  LOL, have not heard that one yet. Look forward to it now... nothing like raking sand in 110 degree weather.

                  I plan on going there. Plus, I have a buddy from high school who lives up in Scottsdale. I forsee a weekend drive or two in my future.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

                    I wish I could figure out how to keep my patrol caps from shrinking. I wash them and just air dry them. After a few washes they are almost too small to wear usually and I have to get another.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

                      Originally posted by Major General Discharge View Post
                      I wish I could figure out how to keep my patrol caps from shrinking. I wash them and just air dry them. After a few washes they are almost too small to wear usually and I have to get another.
                      How do you dry them? Do you place anything on the inside to keep the form? That might help with the shrinkage.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

                        Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                        That might help with the shrinkage.
                        Yeah...keep them out of the pool too for that

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

                          I came up with a solution to that. Wear pin on rank first with damnits. Once shrunk get the rank sewn on, it makes cap larger for your head with the pin/back not there anymore. They will sew it on crooked so take it back. They will do it again. Get mad. Throw out cap and purchase another. Problem solved, its not because it shrunk anymore.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Patrol Cap - What's the deal?

                            Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                            How do you dry them? Do you place anything on the inside to keep the form? That might help with the shrinkage.
                            No I never did. I just started getting ones way larger than my head and they fit a lot better now after washing!

                            And it's bad luck to sew on a Private rank, but my logic never seem to catch on at AIT as I observed quite a few that had Mosquito Wings sewn on. I liken it to the same ones who didn't know what to do with the rest of their paycheck so got their rank tattooed on their arm. Not even joking, it happened.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X